1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

It is about time they did that.
    In the epicenter Milano, the public markets and bazaars were full of people walking next to each other as if nothing happened.

The Italian quarantine isnt like the Wuhan quarantine.
    And the one who proposed this is the North League, which is actually based in Lombardy.

Nook likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

From what I understand that is a big part of the concern in Germany as well and to some extent in the USA.

Will people refrain from large gatherings and public places to limit the spread of the disease.

I actually think the level of paranoia in the USA will be somewhat effective.... we already are seeing a lot of events being canceled.

In Germany my friend said it doesn't seem to be working so well.

3. malakas

malakas Member

The reason it hasn't worked so far is because of the media. The european media has been saying for more than a week now don't panic it's just a more serious flu just wash hands. Here we dont' have preppers who live in bunkers and everyone trusts their government to give them at least the minimal healthcare.
    So if you hear this you think no big deal.

But all of a sudden today the tune changed dramatically. Maybe they realised that they should put some fear into people or they got scared themselves?

Now I am getting paranoid myself a little bit. I am half expecting to wake up tomorrow and read a new study about this virus mutating into measles contagion levels.

Good thing I have banned my parents already from stepping a foot outside the door.

CometsWin, conquistador#11 and Nook like this.
  4. TheresTheDagger

That's not a statistically sound statement. The sample size is WAY too small to make generalizations about what's happening here.

Nook likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

senator alexander isn't running for re-election so he says screw workers...
    GOP chairman blocks quick passage of paid sick leave bill
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/487113-gop-chairman-blocks-quick-passage-of-paid-sick-leave-bill

senator daines is facing a tough re-election fight against newly announced Steve Bullock...
    GOP senator backs paid leave, payroll tax cut amid coronavirus concerns
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...ave-payroll-tax-cut-amid-coronavirus-concerns

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. WNBA

WNBA Member

I was saying for 'flu-like' coronavirus treatment, you need thousands of hospital beds, not ICU. The ICU will only be used to save important lives. Like in Italy right now, ICU are mostly available to a few younger dying patients, not to old folks.

ICU will not be functional when tens of thousands people are in need of medical care. You simply do not have enough staff to run the ICU. Italy is planning to hire retired doctors, nurses and medical school students to fill the need.

what part I said you do not understand?

And do you have numbers to backup your claim that US has better or more ICU?

No Worries likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So an IV in the US is superior than Italy? I am not sure why @Nook is making the case that our hospitals should have a lower mortality rate.

8. Nook

Nook Member

#1 The ICU isn't just used to save "important lives", and it isn't just used (in fact usually isn't used for) for younger people.

#2 Not everyone with the CV requires hospitalization.

#3 if "tens of thousands of people need medical care" the USA will be fine, as there are 100,000 ICU beds and staff availble.

There is a saturation point but it isn't tens of thousands.

Go back to cursing Daryl Morey because he stood up for human rights or praise the CCP for killings many million Chinese people.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

10. NewRoxFan

With all the experts involved, oh my gosh... waiting on son-in-law's research? And trump's biggest concern is that it will contradict with his "its just like the seasonal flu"????

Trump fears emergency declaration would contradict coronavirus message
    Trump is concerned that declaring an emergency would hamper his narrative that the coronavirus is similar to the seasonal flu.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/11/trump-emergency-declaration-coronavirus-message-125902

RayRay10 and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's just sick. People are going to die because Trump is worried about his image. What a ****ing failure of a president.

Rashmon, Blatz, Batman Jones and 2 others like this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Oxygen.
    If you want to see if your healthcare system is prepared you have to check not only ICUs and number of doctors but the ventilators and the trained nurses who provide it.
    If oxygen is provided in a timely manner in a severe case for 2-3 days, it can save their lives and then they recover.
    The ICUs are important only for the critical conditions.

The key word is timely manner. In all countries so far this was the observation
    One patient with mild symptoms can turn into a severe case in a matter of an hour. This means that he should be able to rush quickly to the hospital to get oxygen.

I dont know if the US is capable of giving enough oxygen to all severe cases. The expert I am following said since February when the first details of the cases came out that no healthcare system in the world is able to provide ventilators if a significant part of their population needs it at the same time.

Amiga and Nook like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

The quality of care and access to care makes a large difference in mortality rates.

Were you not the one also discussing fatality rates of 3-4%? Now most of those involved in the WHO and CDC are talking about death rates of around 1%. Why? because we did not (and still do not know the infection rate) and people are being treated sooner and more effectively.

You seem to take what I am saying as support for the current medical payment model in the USA and I explicitly said that is not the case. The United States spends a tremendous amount on medical concerns, and there are certain strengths and weaknesses as a consequence.

14. NewRoxFan

Its lies like this that prove he isn't up for this...

Blatz, Batman Jones, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

This is accurate, no single nation is prepared for a significant portion of the population needs them at the same time.

Some are better prepared than others, and to be clear I am NOT saying there is nothing to fear.

What I am saying is that there are many factors that come into play when it concerns the spread of a virus and the success in treating it.

The US has many weaknesses but strengths as well.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Not me, never 3-4% - most of my posts have been at 1% - and I wouldn't be surprised if it is as low as 0.5%

My point is that I am not convinced that our fatality rate will be significantly different than other nations. None of us are medical experts and it's difficult to assess the access the average person has to things such as Oxygen tanks. If someone doesn't have insurance, they will be more likely compelled to avoid hospitals - increasing the spread of disease at the least, and by your logic, the mortality rate.

17. Nook

Nook Member

He needs to lead. Pick a lane and stick in it. Either it isn't anything to worry about and it is all being overblown or he needs to listen to the experts and prepare and lead accordingly. Trump is good for just about nothing else, so if he cannot lead he needs to move on or the voters will make him move.

This isn't a situation where he can play both sides to try and avoid fallout from the voters....... make a decision and stick to it!

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

We agree on the actual fatality rate. There have been a lot of people running with 3-4%. Look at the influenza/pneumonia rates and then compare. It is a serious concern, especially for the elderly and compromised.

I am not a medical expert. My wife graduated from medical school and we have close friends that are doctors including at some of the agencies discussed and what I am saying is mostly based on what they have expressed to me.

As far as medical insurance, the administration has a tool they can use, and have discussed using it.... which is a disaster alert funding hospitals at 110% of the medicare rates.

So lets see what happens....... I am not claiming that the USA is superior or inferior.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

Bet it will shock you that candace owens is a trump defender...

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

Do you think this would seem credible from virtually any other person than the one that constantly claims the media is "the enemy of the people" and the "fake media"? trump is increasingly seeing the criticism of him piling up...

RayRay10 likes this.