1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Pick & Roll: The Evolution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Mar 10, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets still play Pick and Roll, just not with a center anymore.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...run-pick-and-roll-without-traditional-roller/

Using House like Draymond, where he is the short roller and either takes it to rim or passes to corner is the area that needs upgrading. House is not long (6'8 wingspan)/explosive (34" vert) enough to be a consistent finisher and he is also too short to pass over bigs when in the paint.

6'9 Jonah Bolden (7'3 wingspan) and Justin Anderson (7'0 wingspan 43" vert) are much better options for this role. Both are much stronger finishers than House.

Bolden can also pick and role like Green via skip pass because he has ability to put ball on floor as well.

solodolo11, lionaire, ak99999 and 4 others like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you should PM Morey

DeBeards, BaselineFade, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's interesting, the rockets run less pnr than any other team in the league, currently 30th in both "pnr roll man" and "pnr ball handler" frequency. They used to be near the top of the league, but it's been slowly phased out over the years because it's basically just a worse version of Harden iso. I know people don't like watching it as much, but if Harden iso produces more points than Harden pnr, it makes sense.

I wonder if the move to small ball changes the calculus on this? I think a lot of his isolation success was due to the lob threat and the ability of Capela to catch passes and finish coming from the dunker spot. Maybe small ball pnr is superior to small ball iso for Harden? I did really like what I saw from the Harden/Green pnr.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harden PnR with Covington and/or Westbrook are also very efficient, especially with slip screen and pin downs.

ak99999, TimDuncanDonaut and DeBeards like this.
  5. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

As long as our bar was set to bring back a championship trophy, House would be the biggest square peg in round hole. Also Jeff Green not stoudmare, we don't have diaw (a fabulous sixth man), we don't have shooters like Q-richardson, James Jones, babossa, jalen Ross, piatwarski, we dunt have a fearless guy play dirty Raja bell (not feel shy to fight with Kobe) etc.
    After 4 losses, I'm afraid micro ball might only been deemed as emergency or gamble half-way other by DM to save his job than a well-planned revolution (say initiated by MDA)…cuz obviously there are flaws in terms of personnel which DM are now still doing with all second best he could collected.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

Overblown imo, I really dont think Capela not being here is hurting Harden, like him not having a dunker should not be making him look this bad.

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Personnel is definitely not perfect but even with less than perfect personnel, Rockets were able to beat some of the elite teams (Lakers, Jazz, Celtics, etc.).

3ball shooting and defensive effort must be maximized however.

Until Rockets bring in better players, shooting better and effort/communication on D must be the focus.

Players must believe in the system, FO must keep tweaking personnel and coach has to push the message while tweaking rotation/ chemistry - reward the hot hand and sit the cold ones.

DeBeards likes this.
  8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

pls stop with the bolden spam.

icewill36 and Asian Sensation like this.
  9. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Need a x-factor to speak up harshly n wake up some of them, bring them through it.
    That factor should be born to bear a do-or-die dna as well as a championship vision…4 opinions:
    - mj
    - cuban
    - dOC rivers
    - a championship GM

All in all a believer.

D-rock likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hey, you do you and I will do me.

I was right on Covington, Jeff Green and soon on Bruno too. I advocated for their signings for a good long while now.

What have you been right about?

#10 D-rock, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    DeBeards and fattz like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

The vocal leader is Russ.

Both Russ and especially Harden, are true believers in Morey and MDA.

DeBeards likes this.
  12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Jeff Green would be perfect in the pick and roll

solodolo11 and D-rock like this.
  13. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

i hope vocal leader in lock room can be both russ n tucker.

as long as both russ and harden fully trust in our system as well as Morey + MDA, also they can excite 'micro ball' well by leading teammates to prevent from making defensive mistakes (below video), i have an air of confidence in our chances of defeating LAL in next game.

TimDuncanDonaut and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Play switch everything D with tenacity and if 3balls drop, Rockets can beat any team.

Already beat Lakers without Green and Demarre.

15. magichat281

magichat281 Member

this thread sounds like dragon ballz lol

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Oh, I have just begun to spam, this is dedicated to you buddy.

Got to make spam musubi out of spam, ono-licious.

LOL

Bolden and Anderson play with a nasty edge too. Rockets really need some enforcers off the bench.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Since joining Houston, Green has put up great numbers. In nine games, he has an offensive rating of 120.4, a true shooting percentage of 78.4 and is shooting 46.4 percent shooting from deep. Although it’s a small sample size, those numbers across the board are the best on the team through those nine games.

Green, unlike House and Tucker, can finish in traffic or, if necessary, make the 10-to-15-foot jumper if the defense sags off of him. Green also brings the mobility that Tucker lacks by being able to handle the ball as well as roll to the basket for athletic finishes.

https://spacecityscoop.com/2020/03/10/jeff-green-center-houston-rockets/amp/3/

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

So sour after a Rockets win.

How you doing rat? Your ship sunk yet?

20. Asian Sensation

Yeah, Jonah Bolden a guy that got waived by the Sixers who lack depth at 3/4 and couldn’t make the cut on a young rebuilding PHX team is going to come in and not only replace but out-produce a starter that knows our system .... someone who also happens to be one of our best 3pt shooters..... all this in the final 16 or less games of the season with his 1.4 ppg and 1.3 rpg.

I don’t know what’s funnier... you believing that we’re a legit contender or soliciting Bolden as a key missing ingredient to our supposed title hopes.