1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Who cares? So the guy makes gaffes when he speaks sometimes. We all know what he meant.

2. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, cool, circumstances have changed quite a bit since the founding fathers have written anything.

How many mass casualty events do we have to witness before we change our minds on this? What if we saw a mass casualty event daily?

I feel like I've seen enough. There are trade-offs in life, obviously. I guess I'm willing to risk the totalitarianism but I have a lot of faith in our Democratic institutions even if others don't.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think you're giving the dotard enough credit for the Trump Bump. The stock market jumped on the news that he won, so eager were they for the return of the robber baron days. If you go from election day to election day, it's like this:

From the day before Obama's election (11/3/2008) to the day before Trump's (11/7/2016), the Dow went from 9,320 to 18,260, a CAGR of 8.8%. From the day before Trump's election to yesterday, the Dow went from 18,260 to 23,851, a CAGR of 8.3%. I also think you got the data wrong on how high the Dow was when Trump was sworn in -- it was under 21k.

Not that I think it would be a feather in his cap. The Dow represents to me a proxy for the wealth we've created that is captured by the wealthy and not shared broadly in society. While the Dow was growing at 8%+, median household income had a CAGR of less than 1% since 2008.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Lest I be accused of bias, I watched his interview last night with O'Donnell and man he looks old. There is definitely significant risk with his candidacy that his age will really hurt him in the general. He'll have to work really hard to keep himself together.

Nook likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

These are also poor measures because Obama's election was in the middle of an economic collapse. While the market on Trump election day was likely reacting to him and what his Presidency might bring, the market around Obama's election was reacting to very immediate global economic factors.

JuanValdez likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

If you knew the gritty part of the Midwest well, you would know this does play well.

It isn’t going to hurt him at all in places like Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana and further into the rust belt.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So does Rogan bring the same energy for Trump?

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who has not been mentioning Joes problems?

They have been all over the news and social media, even on this site whole threads have been started about his "problem".

This shows how this is a disingenuous argument.

Nook and justtxyank like this.
  9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Educational Post]
    I think what you are failing to grasp is that coups happen on a very routine basis around the world. In countries that lack the right to bear arms, whoever controls the military wins the power struggle. A coup is not a thing of the past - it is a very real threat.

Furthermore, there are 300 million guns in America. Criminals won't turn in guns. It saves far more lives to encourage gun ownership than to disarm the law abiding citizens among us. Disarming the law abiding citizens will cause deaths from guns to skyrocket. Far more lives are saved by having the populace armed than by disarming them.

GOOD DAY

Corrosion likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@cml750 doesn't care. @bigtexxx doesn't care - they will post whatever lies that will help their man win. They are all in.

The new lie is that Biden is mentally not there which is ironic given Trumps many instances of incoherency in his speeches where at times he even slurs words and sounds like he is having a mini-stroke.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Biden’s interaction with citizens is pretty unacceptable. This has nothing to do with my political qualms with the guy, Pete nor Amy would ever have interactions like that.

Trump has normalized crazy in politics, to the point where people shrug things like that off. A president should not be cussing at people. Biden’s whole campaign is getting back to normal, having decency... his interactions with citizens, voters, in political settings, have not been normal or decent.

Corrosion likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Glass houses...

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't understand this framing, I don't understand why every post mentioning Joe being whacked out needs to be responded to with Trump. Trump has normalized crazy and now it's somehow okay for the Dem nominee to tell Americans they are too old, dog-faced liars, full of **** etc.

For me it's not hard to grasp, both clearly have problems. If Biden has dementia or significant mental deterioration it doesn't mean Trump doesn't have it too, and vice versa. Trump's brain-melting doesn't excuse Biden's brain-melting.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

You don't see the hypocrisy in the retrumplican story line is "Biden is senile, don't vote for him"?

Personally, my choices were Harris then Klobuchar, so calling Biden names doesn't matter much to me. But if that's the only criticism they have, I would remind them that their candidate is as bad or worse when it comes to public statements.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't see the hypocrisy in calling him senile, I do see the hypocrisy in saying don't vote for Biden over Trump purely due to him being senile.

I think Biden is senile, I think Trump is senile, I think Biden's politics are bad, I think Trump's politics are horrific. So Biden>Trump for me.

If someone's main and only concern is not liking voting for a senile candidate, then they shouldn't be voting for either Trump or Biden. For me being senile definitely means something, but not everything, I think the cabinets will do all the lifting, Biden and Trump will just be shaky hand slurring mouthpieces for each party's status quo agendas.

My point is, it's not okay that the dem nominee is senile, and his interactions with people on his campaign trail have been unacceptable. I think this is something all Dems should acknowledge if we don't want to be hypocrites.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

10 bucks says he tries to fight trump during a debate.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think misspeaking and forgetting things means dementia?

I do it all the time when I have not gotten good sleep over time.

Do you actually know what dementia is?

IMO it's somebody who cannot correct themselves and misspeakes more than one word in a sentence and can't recall there train of thought.

Does Biden actually do this?

TheFreak and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes, I actually know what dementia is, I took care of my grandfather who was diagnosed with dementia, for over a year before he passed.

I also know that senile isn't a medical term and is old slang for saying someone is old and losing it, which is why I use that term.

Joe and Trump are senile. Joe and Trump, potentially, perhaps likely, have stage 2/3 or "early" dementia. Both Joe and Trump often misspeak, often lose their trains of thoughts and ramble incoherently.

Dementia is an umbrella term for multiple diseases, not all dementia is rapidly progressing either.

#1278 ThatBoyNick, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Corrosion likes this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

You may disagree with Trump advising calm, but that isn't dementia.

Biden often doesn't know where he is or who he's talking to.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Due to Biden’s loss of cognitive capabilities, could we see Hillary emerge at the convention as a substitute candidate, perhaps after Biden is selected?