1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Sorry, there are multiple discussions happening.

1) Is Biden likable/whatever term you prefer
    2) Is Bernie being screwed by the establishment/is the primary unfair

2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I get where you’re coming from. And I respect Bernie, I really do. He’s certainly the more inspirational of the two. My thing was that I’ve always trusted Biden and now that he’s showing viability it’s easy to vote for him. I guess I’m an “Obama-Biden” Democrat until the next best thing comes. I think most people feel this way. Hillary was a bigger question mark and it’s always hard for a party to retain power after two terms. I’m ready to have Biden back after the four-year rental of Trump lol

Andre0087, RayRay10 and HP3 like this.
  3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

1) I think he is more likable then Bernie at this point....

2) Bernie is screwing Bernie... He has a lot of people backing away with all of this revolution talk and he's too old and stubborn to change....

[​IMG]

T_Man

Nook, Corrosion and justtxyank like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya a trillion dollar industry and Wall Street pressing their thumbs on the scale is why "people are backing away".

Space Ghost likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

Yeah, I'm sure black people in South Carolina were heavily influenced by Wall Street.

jiggyfly and justtxyank like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't at all mind forking over the tax money to pay for those teaching implements in a public school system. Those are useful skills , much better than spending ~$50m on a new football stadium.

That's the kinda stuff that's missing from today's curriculum , it teaches a lot more than just how to ....

I do mind forking over money for people who had alternatives.

It's no different for Bernie .... you are worried about Biden's dementia , I'm worried about Bernie bankrupting us.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not only did I do it 30 years ago , @ElPigto did it 10 years ago and my son and niece are doing it today.

That's the reality - It can be done without a mountain of debt - its all about choices.

If we can't expect those people who can't afford to pay for those prestigious universities to chose other alternatives - then they shouldn't expect someone else to foot the bill.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

More of this please (first few sentences :))

RayRay10 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  9. fchowd0311

It's just anecdotes from single individuals doesn't really address systemic issues. His experience is unique. It also could be exaggerated because this is the internet. We need to look at macro scale trends.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

And again I ask you what does Bernie's plan do to reduce costs going forward ?

The answer is that it doesn't - It just guarantee's the profits of those institutions and creates even greater demand driving the costs upward.

What I see is much like healthcare - when the gubmint got involved , the prices soared. From $2.9T in 2009 to $3.9T in 2019.

Astrodome likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

Prices have soared for decades. The rate of change is what matters.

Anyways you're all over the place. One day you are like "M4A is probably the ideal system" and then next week you are like "gumbit bad".

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Just in case you are suggesting that I am exaggerating, I'm not. That was my situation. I don't need to throw sauce at my story to make a point.

13. fchowd0311

And your narrow sliver of experience doesn't speak for millions of Americans and economic trends have my backing on this.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Considering that I came from a lower income background, I think my situation is not necessarily unique. Asking others to make sacrifices is only part of life. I've made sacrifices, why can't others?

Is it really too much to ask for young graduates to make better decisions in life? I get it, we aren't in the good ole' days (@Corrosion 's time) where tuition was much much much cheaper then. However, to get somewhere in life, there are certain financial sacrifices one has to make. There are financial decisions that have to be made.

I blame our shitty system that does not prepare high school folks for the real world. I never had a class on interests, budgeting, deductibles, etc, you know life skills. Those were things I learned on my own. I saw some make mistakes along the way, others did not. I made mistakes myself (I re-took a class 3 times and I ended up needing to get an emergency loan to afford it), but I focused on paying it off right away. There was a summer that I could only get a job at Target and they would only give me 10 - 20 hours a week. It was a hot summer, but I decided to keep my thermostat on 80 degrees and did not eat out or do fun stuff that involved spending money. Instead my buddies and I would study, we would go play basketball at the gym and avoid spending money.

You guys act as if it is wild to think the way we do, that we should just give a hand out to let people start over. As I said earlier, I rather give that money to provide medicare for all. I'll compromise and erase the interests people have racked up, but I'm not just going to pay off their balances. I propose we spend the money to teach students that college isn't the only life alternative, rather than just providing free college at 2 and 4-year public institutions. I've known many many many people that shouldn't even entertain the thought of going to college. I rather provide a foundation that teaches life skills and provides them an alternative to work a job that will make them good money.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Saying that you will have to pay for it is some funny hubris. You've read both Warren and Sanders plan right? Like you can believe it's not pragmatic but they have a pretty explicit payment plan for reading student loan debt and it comes from the estimated 3 trillion dollars in tax revenue over ten years generated by a wealth tax. The wealth tax is only applies to 75,000 households. It only applies to those whose wealth is over 20 million dollars at 2%. At 1 billion dollars the wealth tax jumps to 3%.

Now I know you are a successful engineer but I doubt you accumulated 20 million dollars in wealth. If so, hey you made it and congrats.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

If he shutters oil and gas, I will struggle to pay for everyone's university escapades. I will give it hell though!

Corrosion likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That is your reality but it does not apply to anyone else but you.

What is also reality is that it simply costs more than it did 30 years ago, it costs more than it did 10 years ago, that's just the reality of things.

Sure, going to JUCO is the better choice for people. Going to a trade school is a better choice for some people, for some people it isn't.

Also, the idea that students should turn away from prestigious universities is going to have long term effects on the country. For instance, wiping away student debt is a huge slash to the racial inequality gap...but if you just say hey, poor black and brown kids, just go to JUCO, we're going to see less brown and black kids become professionals. We're going to see less of these kids get into politics and hold positions of power because most politicians come from these universities, a lot of connections are made, and you're saying if they can't afford to go then they should not go.

No one is saying it is impossible though, just that it is harder. Along with it being harder you can't judge people's choices if you don't know all of the options available to them.

Is there any evidence that it is just people making bad choices?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread is turning into a bunch of old guys talking about how they worked so hard in their day but these young whippersnappers just need the guts to sacrifice the way the older generations did.

The reality is that nobody knows the exact challenges facing the current students and recent graduates. We also don't know what sacrifices they have already made. It isn't really cool to presume they haven't made sacrifices or what their circumstances are.

Props to the older generation for making whatever sacrifices you made for you to get an education and whatever succeses you've achieved. But please don't presume to know what's best for everyone else

joshuaao, RocketWalta and JayGoogle like this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Bernie is going to burn Biden hard for the next few weeks.

Tonight on Fox News he pointed out that he stands for an hour for his speeches and Biden for less than 10 minutes.

This is going to be ugly.

Nook and Invisible Fan like this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's not very accurate.

Yes , I've stated my own personal experience but I also have a kid about to graduate in the coming year and another one starting year after next - he wants to go to Julliard or Berklee school of music.

My point is a simple one - We are't all able to afford what we want and we can't expect someone else to pay our way. Sometimes we have to settle for what we can afford.

These institutions , outside of state schools are "For Profit". That's a fact that we simply cannot omit.

And again , I've asked this three times in the last page with no answer: What is being done to reduce the costs going forward.