1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

QUOTE="malakas, post: 12885278, member: 59280"]People keep comparing with China but let me ask you this..
    how much % of people in China have high blood pressure and diabetes and how much in Europe and USA? Asthma?

All of these are the "preexisting conditions" that put you in the danger group.[/QUOTE]
    Right, there's multiple factors that count as pre-existing, but even looking as recent as 2009 for H1N1 it could have been a lot worse, I think mortality rate will range still but it seems like less than 1 percent on a lot of these, - the concern I have that could cause my optimistic outlooks to be off is the rate of spread and then the hospital resources being stretched super thin. Ultimately medical resources/supplies are going to be the biggest thing since the spread is probably going to continue at a rate higher than a normal (~even bad) flu season.

I think the picture will become very clear in the next week or two, also... I think the numbers being reported on new cases/it slowing down (in China) are off, it's most likely that there aren't kits available or only testing very sick. I saw something similar stated for France -

Obviously reddit but it has a link to a source detailing only using kits on severe cases so now it technically would look like it's slowing even though I don't think it is at this point.

And to add to the mess- https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/2/2...esting-numbers-website-disappear-expansion-us

This appears to be backed up by the Times too... If this is True and the cdc/gov hide numbers/under report then I don't think this is going to be great. Ideally you'd want to be transparent, but per Harris County doing something similar... - ie under reporting doesn't sound good to me.

Deckard, B-Bob and malakas like this.
  2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Maybe we just have around another month of it based on peak flu seasons? It's already 80 degrees in Houston today.

[​IMG]

CCity Zero and malakas like this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

"discourage individuals from stepping forward"? That phrase there. I prefer to not see and not deal with it.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It's awkwardly worded, but it could also mean that they won't give any details on people who might be infected because it might possibly expose their identity and cause people to stay quiet out of fear. Something more clearly worded would be nice.

CCity Zero, BigM and B-Bob like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I left out the to be tested... does that make it clearer to you ? Or am I reading this wrong? It seems pretty clear to me.

"discourage individuals from stepping forward TO BE TESTED"

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’s just not worded well. They are trying to say to not cause panic and to not discourage people from stepping forward to be tested.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I finally read it right... not discourage...

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

On a side note.....Lina Hidalgo...yes, hell yes, or yes yes?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Just heard from a trusted family friend that there is a confirmed case at Methodist here in Houston.

Apparently the city is staying quiet about the corona activity in Houston due to the Rodeo? Don't wanna sound like a conspiracy loony tune but it would make sense. The rodeo is a cash cow for the city.

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. But her clock is ticking.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yeah, definitely not worded well. Should be:

"They made this decision out of precaution not to cause panic, but also to not discourage individuals from stepping forward to be tested.”

or

"They made this decision out of precaution neither to cause panic nor discourage individuals from stepping forward to be tested.”

CCity Zero and Amiga like this.
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

She's only 29...but she looks 40. Hmm...

13. marky :)

marky :) Member

Already getting crap from relatives not to do my road trip to Colorado in two weeks because of this. I say I'm better off in a car than being around y'all in Houston. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CCity Zero and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Maybe, maybe no.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

a huge mistake if indeed it's already here and spreading through the community

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. marky :)

[​IMG]

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

We should all just assume this is happening in pretty much every city with a decent population.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I think rural is slightly better than urban.
    But no matter what, unless you have a huge stored supply of frozen food, you have to go out and procure things every so often, whether in Houston or Colorado, so what are you going to do? Just try to maintain hygiene, mind what public surfaces you're touching, avoid big crowds, and otherwise go about your life.

CCity Zero and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. marky :)

Figured we'd be okay other than when we're around groups of people. We already maintain decent hygiene before all this with always using/having hand sanitizer and wipes.
    Been looking forward all year to visit Colorado Springs/Pikes Peak/Garden of the Gods/Rocky Mountain national park/etc and I'll be damned if I'm going to miss it. Unless something significant happens like a pandemic was announced and/or we're all officially quarantined I'm going to go about my trip.

CCity Zero likes this.