1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Olajuwon play in todays game ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by icewill36, Feb 25, 2020.

1. ROCK3TM4N

ROCK3TM4N Member

It’s funny that I see this thread this morning after watching highlights of him all last night. I got so inspired after watching hightlights I even searched on ebay for his jersey and vhs tapes of the championship runs lol

I was born in 92 and unfortunately was too young to experience the glory days but anybody who has watched footage and interviews of players that played with and against Hakeem will testify to his legendary status. Lebron, kobe, and every superstar has asked for private lessons with him and evidently showed much improvement after. Well except for dwight.. Even I as a guard, study his footwork before anybody else to learn. I think it’s safe to say that he actually had the best footwork of any player ever, matched with the ultimate finess and power, he was straight un-guardable man. Did you not just watch him owning Robinson AND Rodman?? Dennis got so frustrated, the man took of his shoes bro..

Of course we wont know exactly how it would be if he played now. But Hakeem playing now would be so great for the NBA, ultimate skill and athleticism. More importantly, so humble and everything you could of ask for in a leader. Definitely the most underrated, under appreciated player of all time, and arguably one the greatest of all times, in any period, ever.

2. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Is the OP serious?

BaselineFade likes this.
  3. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I'm in the mood today and I have some time.

For those those that never watched Hakeem play, here is an example
    of his unreal defense (I might cover offense later). Watch the short video below, here he covers
    three players on the perimeter and then switches on a fourth big.

Essentially defending and covering almost the whole team on the floor in the possession successfully.

This is GOAT level switching, shot blocking and recovery
    for a big. At his size, quickness, soccer goalie coordination and wingspan he is
    also the best defensive player all time to guard someone like
    Giannis, who is a great player in today's game.

For example David Robinson was bigger, stronger and and just as
    explosive as Giannis in his MVP years. Watch Olajuwons impeccable block timing and
    speed to block a drive to the hoop which is a Giannis go to move. In today's league would likely give someone like Giannis fits.

#103 OkayAyeReloaded, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  4. SemisolidSnake

Yes, of course. Could a simulacrum of 1993-1994 Hakeem using that playstyle play in today's game? Yes, but with highly-reduced efficiency because of the drastic change in the nature of the game.

But if you acknowledge that Hakeem could and would adapt his skills to today's game, then knowing Hakeem, he'd tear the balls off anyone. Literally, figuratively, and then probably literally again in other senses. It's just an unknown what that would look like, but there's no way Hakeem would let himself get beat just so he could stick to an outdated playstyle. Look at Hakeem, the man and player, not a static image of him from a specific point in time.

5. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Freakish man. The play where he switched on to 4 players then blocked the shot at the rim is one of the reasons why i call him the best defender ever. No one else can guard like that. That was insane.

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

lmao its crazy to see 3-4 bodes in the paint AT ALL TIMES

Jake Tower and BaselineFade like this.
  7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Good point. I usually just ignore trolls but I live by some very simple rules. Don't talk smack about my mom or Hakeem the dream.

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. The great ones always adjust. It isn't like Hakeem didn't have range back then. That's what made him so deadly. He could shoot from anywhere and was agile. I guarantee he would be hitting 3's now and still running back to defend you.

BaselineFade and BigM like this.
  9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Yea and Morey would turn him into a stretch 5 like Brook Lopez.

He'd be amazing in that role. Imagine him in the corner hitting 3s and defensively in the paint blocking shots.

Just look at my Brook Lopez example except now give him HoF stats.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’s silly to think great players wouldn’t adjust to different play styles or teams wouldn’t adjust their play around unique talents. Hakeem was a once in a generation player that would thrive in any system in any era.

Killatron 2000 and BaselineFade like this.
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think you're underestimating Hakeem, if we're talking prime Hakeem, he could shoot and moved like a guard. I'm sure if he needed to shoot 3s (and actually took some and made them), regardless he'd develop it. The amount of time he put into his game and the footwork he had from playing soccer would make him unstoppable, especially with the sorry foul rules now. The only problem would be getting called for some ticky tack - bs foul - when it was all ball and he embarrassed the offensive player with one of his 3k+ blocks.

Just watch him on video when Kobe/LeBron came looking to learn from him, he was quick still, and they actually paid to come see him (I honestly think they were the only two that probably benefitted the most), I mean his footwork was insanely quick (you can't teach that). Now imagine him playing in his prime during this Era. He'd be simply unstoppable.

Lock the thread and go watch re-watch highlights on YT... This is like saying Jordan was a better baseball player than he was at basketball.

BaselineFade likes this.
  12. Fefo

Fefo Member

If the likes of rudy gobert, Tristan Thompson, zubac, whitrside can play, what make you think one of the top 10 all time could t?
    He will be so dominant, with his offensive skill set and defensive switchability. Besides, he will probably be shooting 3s too, the man was way too talented to not adapt a bit his game to this time.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yikes. What an embarrassing thread. o_O

ROCK3TM4N and CCity Zero like this.
  14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

This guy is a fool. First he asks if Hakeem can play in today's nba and then he brings up rockets 5 out like that is the norm in the NBA.

Fefo likes this.
  15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I'll go out on a limb and answer in the affirmative. Emphatically so.

Deckard and BaselineFade like this.
  16. conquistador#11

Hakeem could have been the best warrior and taken out Leonidas' Spartan army had he wanted to.
    Could Dream play in Today's NBA? Ha, ha ha.

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

The question itself is ridiculous considering even if you think he wouldn't be the same offensive player, hed still be a DPOTY candidate every year. So..yes. He could play today.

Dropping players in different eras with no adjustment period is pretty silly. You cant just take a guy from let's say today with all the advancements and drop him into the 50s and say hed dominate. Even with all the advancements of his age, could he survive that different world mentally? Then theres the rules to adapt to as well. Hes going to be called for dribbling violations because he doesn't know how to dribble strictly palm down all lame like. Too adapted to dribbling freedom to adjust to even that basic fundamental of that eras game.
    If he was born and raised in the same time period, he wouldn't be the same person physically or mentally. Same for anyone of the past being born and raised with today's player as their peers. Hakeem could be taller or shorter, or more muscular. Would likely have been introduced to the sport long before he was in reality.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  18. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

As for offense, much has been said. But for today's game think about how Zion, Joker and Davis play. Two of them can face up and take you off the dribble, have a nice touch around the rim and Joker with his classic post moves, many that Hakeem mastered years before him.

Hakeem can do all of that and had legit outside shooting range, he had no weaknesses and would develop a three pointer in today's league.

This is a famous video created by an fan of another team, a Toronto fan named Fatal9 who I know from another forum. A non Rockets fan with a very strong knowledge of basketball way beyond a casual fan made a deep video showcasing Hakeem, so this person isn't a homer and thought he was the GOAT center after really studying film of him and other all time greats during thier playing careers.

Olajuwon had a smaller market and didn't sign with Nike so many didn't see him play as often back then, once videos arrived online his appreciation grew and he became a top 10 player in thier eyes (top 3-5 as the GOAT center for me and others)

He is also one of the most skilled centers of all time, watch the first part which is all face up and taking players off the dribble. Build the team around him with shooters like Westbrook and it would be nasty today.

Hakeem Olajuwon Scoring Skills

#118 OkayAyeReloaded, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

He would average 50 a game...

20. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I don't know about 50 a game, he's not Scottie Pippen lol. But I think around Giannis and Embiid ranges but with better defense than Gobert. He would also devastate players in the playoff and embarass them with elevated numbers.