1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Warriors 2/20/2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 19, 2020.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Harden lowered his PnR ever since he started learning how to cook and do step back 3s. Rox went from most PnR team to least PnR team last year so no, a traditional center also doesnt fit with Harden. Harden CAN make it work, but his tendency is to chill at the perimeter or do drive and kicks for the splash rather than PnR lobs.

That is why Harden and WB work despite their seeming differences, both of them still want the paint open at the end of the day. I'm starting to come around to small ball myself the more I think about it, any big we get will get dominated by AD, Dwight and Lebron anyway might as well have no big in there.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Welcome to the club!!

3. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Stomped their guts in. You love to see it.

34to11, D-rock, DeBeards and 2 others like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Man, this is an exaggeration you dont think Chandler could play in Harden lineups? Cmon.

5. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea he does, we traded Clint because of Westbrook,not Harden. Our offensive rating with Chandler on the court in stricly Harden lineups would be good offensively and great defensively.

Im just saying, for specific match ups, he definitely has a place on this team.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

He could, but not in the current system. I don't think MDA wants Harden out there with a non shooter either at this point. I mean they are truly all in on centerless basketball.

Chandler and Harden could work great together just like Capela, but we are getting away from all of that. Having 4 shooters around Harden makes teams pay for doubling him even more. They are just swinging the ball for open 3's. The whole system works better without a traditional center.

This doesn't mean that I don't think that they couldn't work well together under a different circumstance.

Relativist, D-rock, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  7. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Now you are starting to see the light lol.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

Well that was an interesting game for sure. Westbrook with the silly elbow and ejection, but besides that it was just guys making their threes for once on offense, but more importantly about our STIFLING defense. Man we get so many reflections, near steals, actual steals, disruptions, forcing guys into tough shots that I'm very excited how this will look come play-off time! This team will be dangerous :)

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Times have changed, no doubt. A center with a 3 would be ideal, but rim blocking, shot altering, and dunking with intimidation would be valuable as well.

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree but guys like Rasheed Wallace, JJJ and Porzingis dont grow on trees

D-rock and saleem like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah he could but just because he could doesnt mean he WOULD.

Like I said Rox pnrs went down over the years as Harden's cooking went up. Even if Russ didnt come Harden was making it known he doesnt like PnR as much as step back 3s. Most Capela's points actually came from Cp3 setups Harden focused more on his ISOs as time went on.

hakeem94, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

This game is the most fun and entertaining one I've seen the past 2 years. Yeah ok GSW is trash but so what its the first time I've seen the team come out focused and determined from start to finish they just stepped on GSW's throat and didnt stop till the last quarter. It's also the first time I saw them dominate through their system and defense not just cuz the shooters were blazing hot that day.

Everybody played hard I mean Harden had 2 blocks 2 steals against scrubs that tells you everything. When your 2 leaders play hard and you got a bunch of hard nosed professionals like Tucker and Roco then everybody follows even the 3rd tier scrubs went out and played scrapped Caboclo had like a highlight play every min he was on the court lol.

Props to Morey for righting the sinking ship with big ball trades, Elston Turner for making the defense hum and even MDA for doing a good job coaching and actually playing 12 (!?) guys tonight. Other contenders def sweating buckets this team looks dangerous AF.

hakeem94, joshuaao, D-rock and 6 others like this.
  13. bmelo

bmelo Member

Pressure... even if they make their shots, make them feel your breath. next time they might hesitate

D-rock likes this.
  14. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

Wow. Team looked awesome and the defense was solid. I think we might have something pretty special right now.

hakeem94, joshuaao, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  15. AstrosRockets1818

I spell it that way on purpose dip ****. I’m an OU fan. They are all “Aggys” tamu, Okie state, Tech

16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

a nice sleep~
    100% ready to root for Jizzzzzzy game.

EDIT: wish we could have persistent D like we played in the 1st Q. now discipline is da first and upmost!

D-rock likes this.
  17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

im still afraid of the big on russ sagging into the lane,(giannis defense scheme) im telling u guys i saw success in the Strategy...u guys may think im making a big deal but i know basketball n the nba. everyteam will do this now. see russ didnt go super nova. its like the harden double team. it stops them going super nova. to me now its gonna be on roco n gordon espically when the double harden n center sag russ at the same time. i hope we putting in plays now

hakeem94, Relativist and HP3 like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’ve been preaching the value of big Centers being less for years now.

Warriors have been head and shoulders ahead of other teams over the years with a system of big center playing
    about 15-20 minutes and then going smaller with a power forward playing center (Draymond Green) and going
    with 5-man out offensive sets. Basically running the “Bigs” of the court during that time. Tucker is our Draymond
    Green. Not that great defender play above the rim protector......but tough gritty bring his lunch box player.

Warriors have shown that long arms (wing spans) of SF’s can help protect the paint if used properly.
    If the conventional “Big” center is seen as a bear.....then the SF’s (Guards as D’Antoni favors) need to act
    as a “Pack of Wolves”. Popovich loved using a SF fronting the big center (Aldridge at the time with Blazers)
    with back side help coming from across the lane. In essence sandwiching the big center as fronting
    the center forces a lob pass most of the time, thus the need for the backside help to deflect the pass.

Of course point guards get pushed too far out by big Centers.....sometimes you can get away with using guards
    if they are strong enough and have decent wing span. Even if the Center is successful, the Rockets like the 3’s
    are greater than 2’s rule. I believe it was In the 14/15 Warriors championship run, Curry shot 64% from the
    left corner 3. Some brainiac worked out LeBron dunking vs Curry corner 3. LeBron would need to make 100%
    of his dunks to match Curry 64% from 3 (50 attempts each). Rockets will give up 2’s if the can get out and
    run and work for some 3-point shots in fast break.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Whadda win whadda win whadda mighty fine wi-in!

DeBeards, D-rock and Remlap like this.
  20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If he’s willing to set a pick, defensive centers who sag off of him will be neutralized. Plus no big in the league (other than Ayton) is ready to guard the dribble drive ten times per game. Russ can throw 20 a game at the other team no problem.