1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for Bernie Supporters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Jesus if Bernie is the only one that tackles these issues we are all screwed. Millions of people will have to get involved if we want a real shot at transforming the country, Bernie cannot do everything from behind a desk, it just doesn't work like that.

We should encourage people to primary or run against any Democratic/Republican incumbent that is not appreciating the urgency of the issues we face, what is wrong with that?

2. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

$17 trillion is not gonna happen. But the number does signal the urgency and severity of the issue, and that is where negotiations should start. If we can get something like $4-8 trillion for climate change transition from the federal govt that would be a major accomplishment. But cities, states, and local governments will also need to take significant steps to tackle the crisis.

Most of Bernie's plans would not pass through Congress as written, but that is where negotiations need to start and concessions should be made as sparingly as possible.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Billionaires should exist, and their ability to create and make changes at such a large amount is important.... However billionaires should be taxed far more than they are. There can be a balance. Currently the tax balance is entirely too billionaire friendly.

However billionaires should not immediately be despised. It is up to the system to hold them accountable. Likewise the opinions of billionaires on issues that have nothing to do with wealth accumulation should not be automatically given extra weight because they have made a lot of money.

It is my observation having lived in the USA and overseas, that until recently; wealth accumulation by individuals (as a goal) has been way over prioritized compared to being a good person, raising a good family, being involved in the community... etc.

We have assholes sacking groceries obsessed about their future fortunes and not other things that mean more......... I don't see that so much in Western Europe. There are always some.... but in the USA it trickles down to people on assistance even obsessed with it........ that isn't the case in most of the other desirable places in the world to live.

The current President represents that doctrine........

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Says the guy who has nothing to reply.

5. Nook

Nook Member

You aren't getting 8 trillion over 10 years......... you aren't getting 4 trillion either.

The entire military budget is 600 billion a year.

The ENTIRE government budget is 4.5 trillion dollars........ that is for EVERYTHING.

The USA is not going to spend 20% of their budget on climate change.... especially with a push for MCA, the jobs bill and other discretionary spending Sanders wants.

"We are going to battle the climate crisis under my plan!" - Sanders

"Yea! <applause>" - American people

(US budget costs go from 3.6 trillion to 5.4 trillion)

"Your taxes have gone up 50%" - Sanders

"WTF?" - American people

#105 Nook, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Medicare for All would dramatically change a very large industry, but change is necessary to make sure all Americans have access to quality affordable healthcare. It wouldn't be unconstitutional, but would require Congress to pass, which isn't going to happen yet.

He isn't necessarily wrong that billionaires shouldn't exist. He wouldn't seek to cap wealth, but move to create a tax policy that makes it difficult to accumulate that type of wealth. The whole idea behind the gift/estate tax was to reduce generational wealth, but too often there have been ways to work around it and there is a continued to fight to repeal it. To close the wealth gap, the wealthy are going to have to become substantially less wealthy.

Two Sandwiches and jiggyfly like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why does it mean nothing?

Is Bloomberg a climate denier or does he donate a **** ton to fight climate deniers.

Why did you bring up Koch when they have nothing to do with this conversation?

Maybe strawmannirg?

8. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

1. The last military budget was $750 billion, that has to be cut that down

2. A corporate tax rate increase, a wealth tax, a VAT, closing loopholes should all be entertained to increase revenue and increase the federal budget

3. The green new deal is in it of itself a jobs bill. The money is going to go into green infrastructure/jobs/renewable energy, so it gets poured back into the economy anyway and functions as an economic stimulus.

4. The estimated costs of doing nothing about climate change will be far greater than doing something. If there is a shortfall in funding than take out loans from the treasury. We did it for the Iraq War.

5, If we don't deal with climate change aggressively we're all f***ked so hopefully, you're wrong but who knows.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Oh really????? Less military and war?? Everyone wants that? How did Regan Bush Clinton Bush Obama or Trump show that? Not everyone wants that you brainwashed And/or sycophant. The mass media in this country doesn’t talk about or blink an eye when day after day and year after we kill people the world over and pump money into the military budget, political system, and campaigns for all of the people running.

I could go on and on. Let me know if you want me to. Perhaps it will dampen your nativity and ignorance for the status quo.

And yes I have health insurance. It’s my biggest current obstacle to not amassing crazy debt while in graduate school right now.

PS your G damn right I can be condescending regarding this sometimes. It’s supposed to be a debate forum. Go ask some kid in Iraq or Libya that lost their sibling or parents how they feel when good ole USA dropped some high grade weapons on them in the name of profit. While we use trillions on that but can’t apparently afford a healthcare single payer system like countries in Europe, parts of Asia, and Canada.

10. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Forget taxing them at a higher rate but just taking away the loopholes in which they pay nothing while paying a normal fair share would be suffice.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Here is a picture of some children for all of the candidates that want the same thing in this country apparently.
    [​IMG]

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It means nothing because people will donate just to say they are good people, it doesn't make them good. Let me ask you this, is El Chapo a good person? You do know he was charitable as well? People loved him in his home town, thought he was some kind of a robin hood. The same things said of Pablo Escobar who even sponsored charity events. Were these good people?

Why do you bring up Bloomberg when I did not? I said that donating doesn't make you a good person, you randomly attribute that to me by saying... "What nefarious things are you assigning to Bloomberg and Bill Gates?" I didn't assign anything nefarious to either. I didn't even mention these guys.

How does Koch have nothing to do with this conversation? Isn't it partly about billionaires?

In fact, this was your question...

"How about the billionaires who give there money away to great causes?"

My response was then...so what? Koch brothers donate and charity too, so what? They are still sponsoring the destruction of our planet so that they can make more money.

Donation doesn't give anyone an excuse. While it's great that Bloomberg and Gates donate, that's not what makes someone a good person. Especially when these people make so much money that their donation is a sacrifice of nothing.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Bernie has already said he is not negotiating, how are you speaking for him?

ElPigto and Nook like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF?

I have no idea how this has anything to do with the topic.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Either you are being obtuse on purpose or I am clearly wasting my time even replying to you.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is giving anyone an excuse?

The entire conversation is centered around Bloomberg and why him being a billionaire disqualifies him.

Koch brothers have nothing to do with this, I am not the one saying just being a billionaire disqualifies you like Bernie or Warren which was the topic, I am also not saying being a billionaire means you are good, my point is that there good competent people who also happen to be billionaires.

The question you quoted did just that, I have no idea how you missed that.

I see you don't really want to have this conversation so I am out.

17. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Its really terrible for to have such hate and demonize people as boogeymen because they have "a billion dollars"
    This top 1% argument is really weak.

If anyone here has over $5,000 in their bank account and no debt they're worth more than a billion people and
    worth more than half the world!

To see people just hate others the way Bernie does to someone with a billion dollars is just scary. I've never hated
    anyone in my life the way he hates and blames every ill in the world on people that have made a lot of money.
    His answer to every ill is to attack and preach hate towards a billionaire.

Its really dangerous in society to preach that type of hate speech.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not about hatred bro.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

What has Bernie accomplished as a senator?

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A few things here.

1. Bernie's proposals have nothing to do with hate.
    2. He is 'blaming' the ills on those that have and exercise the most control on our society.
    3. It isn't dangerous to society or anyone else. It might be an inconvenience to a very small number of people while being beneficial to hundreds of millions.
    4. You don't need to worry. You aren't going to be a billionaire. If you were to become one you wouldn't have to worry anyway.