1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russell Westbrook Stats Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Mr Chuck Norris

I don’t know why Clutch continuously hates on this man.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because he's showing he deserved the MVP in 17!

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

My updated tracker on Russ when he takes 3 or fewer 3s in a game:

PPG: 28.35
    RPG: 8.5
    APG: 7.7
    SPG: 1.75
    FG%: 52.2%
    FT% 75%

Total games: 20 Wins: 16 losses: 4

I can't believe I'm saying this about Russ but he's running this team right now. Don't get me wrong--whatever is ailing Harden I hope he bounces back. That being said, I think/hope the days where we have to rely on James to score 40+ to win are behind us. Having Russ say F You to 3s and taking it to the hole pretty much every possession is like having a small center with point guard handles barreling into the lane with fearlessness. He's shooting 62.7% around the basket.

I am really interested in seeing how the NBA adjusts to our new lineup where they will try to pack the paint in order to stop our catalyst because I think if/when that happens, the floodgates will open for Harden to just rain 3s from deep. Our offense has the potential to stretch opposing defenses like a rubber band every night now that we don't feel obligated to play a center in the lineup. The more that rubber band stretches with every possession the likelihood it will eventually snap in crunch time. What a time to be alive.

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

russ has been playing at an MVP level. some of those rebounds last night were ridiculous.

tmoney1101 and D-rock like this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I made a list of all the people who hated his signing it would take me all night, and I'm not wasting my time. I hope all those haters can see how special he is now. I love Russ!!!!

It's no wonder OKC showed him love and appreciation when we played in OKC. He never gives up, takes it easy, or plays without compassion. I never get tired of watching him zip past defenders, and find a way to score in the paint. His heart and energy is so invigorating!! I am soooooooo happy to see him in a Rockets uniform. Win or lose, he puts the fun in watching us play.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Given WB is playing so well and plays big, he should play more minutes like 40, thoughts? I think we may have to play him that many minutes to win games from now on.

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the playoffs maybe, but I'd hate to risk that now. He might run like a spring chicken, but he isn't one.

pr0wler likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love the more efficient and productive Westbrook, his energy and passion are a joy to watch. The crazy fast pace and space scheme with 5 out is revolutionary and exciting.

However, Rockets go where their best offensive player goes, and that's Harden.

Harden is what makes Houston a championship contender. Harden is the most efficient and historically explosive scorer in NBA history. The offense must still feature and maximize Harden to be at its championship best.

3's are still better than 2's.

Not just the 3ball but FTs as well. With Westbrook being offensive focus, FTs have gone down and Harden has been less efficient. Bring back the PnR, dunker and any other tactics to maximize Harden's game, especially when Russ off the floor.

There has to be a balance, cannot dispose of these weapons entirely.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yeah the thing I wish some people would realize that even over these last 10 games where he has been great his scoring efficiency is still pretty pedestrian compared to Harden’s best. About 57% true shooting over the last 10 even though he’s shootings over 50%. 3s and free throws are huge. Westbrook scoring how he is now is PERFECT as a 2nd option. It’s just not the god like efficiency you need from your top option.

Though I don’t really see a give and take situation here. Harden isn’t scoring inefficiently because of Westbrook. He’s still getting his shots and they will eventually start falling again. Just hope Westbrook can continue to feast on this amazing opportunity/situation we have created for him.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I am glad he's turned his season around and is playing much better. I just also can't shake the feeling that it is not a coincidence his best stretch is coinciding with Harden's worst stretch, and the team has not experienced any enhanced sort of results record-wise.

Gonna be interesting to see if they can all get on the same page down the stretch before playoffs.

12. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

The main reason for it is because he gets way more space and time on the ball now because of Harden's double teaming.

13. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

One of the more amazing changes I have ever witnessed as an NBA fan of 30ish years.

One of the worst shot selections in NBA history based on their skill all of a sudden a switch flipped and everything changed.

Those first 30 or so games here he was at less than 50% true shooting(that’s not just bad, that’s scrubbiest of scrub level bad) on 24-25 attempts per game! It was literally killing us!!

One can only imagine how his career would have been viewed had he seen the light 7-8 years ago and changed his shot selection then.

15. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

whos to be credited for the change?

don grahamleone and joshuaao like this.
  17. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

On that note, low key pleasantly surprised how well he's "aged" going into his early 30's. We always hear archetypes about how shooters tend to be able to be effective longer, athletic players decline fast once they lose that extra speed and jumping ability etc.

But it's really hard to say. Russ is arguably the best athlete in NBA history, we've never seen a player like him before imo.

18. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

If he plays like this, added with his intensity and leadership, he could overtake harden as the guy on our team. Who would've thought that was in the realm of possibility when the season started?

#178 tmoney1101, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    PeterKingX and joshuaao like this.
  19. smp

smp Member

I’m just glad he found his niche. Standing around on the perimeter watching Harden dribble and then shooting the open 3 is not his game.

IBTL, don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

uh no.

tmoney1101 likes this.