1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Jazz @ Rockets 2/9/2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

The trash line is razor-thin on Clutchfans :p

D-rock, Patience, BigM and 1 other person like this.
  2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

No game tonight
    Just normal drillo_O
    Back to ur cozy bed

3. HP3

HP3 Member

That we probably wont win the chip, I think its way to early to make that call.

DeBeards likes this.
  4. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

too early but do we they have it in them to become a top 10 defensive team as was the case last year? Roco has been solid tucker is amazing, that is our only hope honestly

HP3 likes this.
  5. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Thats the killing instinct of pure shooter, we lack of that kinda player
    Dr nud…

6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I think most would disagree with you that predicting/prognasticating the Rockets probably wont win the chip is somehow wrong or too early.

Just curious what likelihood do you think the Rockets winning it all is.

7. MystikArkitect

I dont remember caring so little for a Rockets club. Maybe Dwight's last year? I cant even remember.

I dont think I even care.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If you want to know why we lost. . . Clarkson skullf*cked House for like a couple of quarters it seems

When was the last time a single player gave us 30 off the bench

Rocket River

D-rock likes this.
  9. rockets13champs

Jazz just won 2 games they had 0 business winning back to back

shoulda lost to Portland via gold tend
    Tough shot to beat Houston

2 game lead on our asses

D-rock, rhee and HP3 like this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

James isn't our best 3 pt shooter. He just takes the most 3's. Sometimes he needs to just drive in before the coverage surrounds him like Russ does and go easy on the 3's. McLemore is our highest percentage shooter from the arc, but he is only 78th in ranking of the top shooters. We don't have great 3pt shooters. They are just OK.

That is why we can beat great teams and lose to bad teams. We are living and dying by the 3 from most of our guys around Russ and James. That, and the fact that Tucker is averaging less than 8 pts a game.

Tato1971 likes this.
  11. Philter_09

Philter_09 Member

If James just hit one more of his 13 threes, then we win. Simple, Harden needs to hit his shots.

Also, this is a game where we needed Gordon's defense and shooting. Without him it was always gonna be tough.

Onto the next one.

12. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Small ball doesn’t work without consistent 3pt shooters like Thompson or Curry.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

Well its not how you start, its how you finish bro. Last year, it was the same stuff with us coming into all star break before went on a tear. People might not think it was worth something that we took the Warriors to 6 games(all of them being close) but I do. We get through that series and I think we could have won it.

Not ready to put a number on it yet. Maybe im being to optimistic. But still like there are a few things that we can better at. Plus we havent actually lost yet with our full lineup so well see how it goes.

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

House and Tucker need to put up more points playing 36 minutes. Heck, Rivers didn't make a single pt in 19 minutes. I'd like James taking less 3's, but he did find other ways to score. The others need to be better. They don't help enough offensively half the time.

D-rock and Philter_09 like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Actually I think it can . . .. if we look to lead the league in paint points
    I think Russ and Harden could be 1 and 2 in paint points

Rocket River

Patience likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Should have blown them out at home but that's just me.

Back to chasing for a 3rd star?

D-rock likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

About the same chance as anyone in the West.

The overwhelming favorite should be the Bucks.

The Clippers are the best team in the West but they do not play hard consistently and are a lot like the Rockets. The Lakers are very beatable in a series by a good team.

With the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers existing; this season is likely the Rockets best shot other than the season they won 65 games and would have won the title but for injury.

This Rockets team has a lot of variance because of the trade they made, injuries and adjustments made as everyone gets familiar with their roles.

Look at it like this, there isn’t a single team in the West that the Rockets are not capable of beating. The toughest team is the Clippers and they are having problems as well.

So even if the Rockets have an 8-12% of winning the title right now, that is a contender and better than everyone other than the Bucks and Clippers. Most will argue the Lakers as having better odds but I do not think the Lakers would get past the Rockets and Clippers (mind you both could lose to another lesser team as well).

So yes, the Rockets at this moment are basically contenders. A lot can change in a month.... in a month we will have a more clear picture... the Rockets could be first round fodder or they could be arguably the best team in the West... time will tell.

Playoff match ups in the west will matter more than seeding this year. Every single playoff team has weaknesses that can be exploited by another team. So home court means less than who you are playing.

The only team that should feel really good is Milwaukee and they even have to worry about officiating in the playoffs and the reality that a single injury could destroy their season.

18. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

I'm just going to say it..... we're worse with Westbrook as the main ball handler. I know it sounds stupid, but I think it's hurting us and Harden when he has way more of the ball. Yeah, he gets a lot of points, but I feel we're way less productive as a team with him as the main ball handler. I feel When Harden is the main ball handler, he's way more comfortable and get his flow more easily.... and you know damn well when Harden drives he's going to get a lot of free throws, or he's going to pass it out for a wide open shot. When he gives it to Westbrook, either from the double team or just general, we're not getting as many free throws and 3pt shots as we should. Take tonight for instance; Westbrook had 33 attempts..... but, he only scored 39 points. For a guy who had the ball and drives as much as he does, he should easily be getting us more free throw point attempts. Also, in the last 13 games, when Westbrook as been the main ball handler and been scoring over 30 points game, we've only managed to win 5 games.

Would you rather Westbrook had it more and have 33 shots a game and shoot 54% from the FG and 50% from the 3pt from 2 shots.... and barely get any free throw attempts? Or would rather Harden have it more and shoot 45% from the FG and only 40% from the 3pt? Bare in mind, if Harden has 33 shooting attempts, you know he's shooting around 18 3pt shots..... and he's more than likely getting over 14 free throws and making like 85% of them. It's an interesting question.

This isn't me b****ing about Westbrook. He's been amazing this season and been by far our best player in the last 6 weeks. I just feel both him and Harden need the ball the majority of the time to be better players. Of course having a more consistent shooting supporting cast would help.... but that's how I see it.

#938 aliadiere25, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    D-rock and pr0wler like this.
  19. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

House stays a step ahead.

House led rockets in steals with 4 take aways.

House had more steals than the entire Utah team combined.

20. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

We got crushed on rebounds again, they shot almost as many threes. If we had a legit center and even rebounding we would likely should have won this game.

Aside from a lights out shooting game against the lakers that may be an outlier before teams fully adjust, this perimeter player is worth more than a center trade looks worse over time. Again, we'll see but this isn't looking good.