1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Suns 2/7/2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 7, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No clue, however, if Russ was to sit out the LA game, Lakers would have won.

And the Suns game would be much closer but still no clear win guaranteed.

deb4rockets likes this.
  2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Here is the real problem, a team built around shooting, can't shoot. You can launch a 1000 bombs, but if only a few hit the target, what's the point? It all boils down to this.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It was a schedule loss. This was expected.

4. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Oubre probably had his best shooting night in his career. The guy was hitting everything, even the contested bullshit ones. He's not even that good of a shooter... or even a consistent one. So I doubt he'll ever have a night like that again.

The Suns just happen to have one of those nights were players were hitting pretty much everything. And the Rockets had one of those nights were they couldn't hit a thing..... except for Harden.

5. vick

vick Member

No one should bet on Rocket games. They beat Lakers on the road. Beat Utah on the road, which had won 18 of 20.Also lose to some of the worst teams
    They are a gamblers nightmare. .

6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

You said what I want to say. Thank you.

Russ’ games are always enjoyable to watch, especially those aggressively drives to basket! I will never question this man’s heart and effort to win! Those energy are amazing.

deb4rockets likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

lol Russ also doesn’t play back to backs. We have one of the oldest teams in the league. The fact is every time there is a back to back, we look like dog crap this season. The fact is Harden’s been carrying this franchise for years. And so whenever he’s not super human, we have deal with this board melting down.

And y’all are so quick to say waaaaah, we miss Russ. He’s so much more fun. Sheesh

Patience likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If James AND Russ just came off 2 days rest I would still enjoy watching Russ more. They are apples and oranges in style. I just enjoy it more. It's a preference really.

gfab-babyboi and HP3 like this.
  9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I agree, it was expected to have let down like that. However, defense and hustle is something we should always show. Phoenix looked hot from outside and when Oubre scores 39 the Milwaukee Bucks are going to lose to the Suns.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah man there's a lot he could've done first of all Harden was playing great he was shooting 50% from 3 and 90% from ft line the only issue is he wasnt pushing the ball.

So Dumbtoni could've either talked with Harden and told him to push the ball OR play the Harden way, stop the small ball, get Hartenstein, Caboclo or Chandler in the game and play like they have always played with Harden isos and kick outs. You are right the rest of the team was shooting blanks so instead of increasing the pace decrease it, tell Tucker and Rivers and Roco to focus on defense and tell Harden to get cooking. Thats how they played before Capela got traded and it worked out ok. Considering Harden was shooting 50% from 3 he could have been due for another 50+ pt night if they played Harden style.

Rox are far from being a one trick pony, they have a lot of tools and tricks in their bag but the coach has to recognize which tool fits which situation. Unfortunately adjustments and flexibility isnt Dumbtoni's strong suit, maybe he is too old at 70 to be dynamic enough to react to these kinds of situations. Rockets always end up blindsided to these kinds of scenarios and that's just the fault of the coach.

In the grand scheme of things, tonight isnt a big deal its a schedule loss. But I think it is symptomatic of MDA's failings as a coach, y'all might not realize it but he has been dragging this team down since the goal changed from just making noise to actually trying to win a ring. There will always be something or the other getting in the way as long as Dumbtoni is coach whether it is the Cp3 hamstring, 0-27, Spurs solving Rox offense or Kevon Looney having a career night. It was the same thing in PHX they spent 8 years on the precipice of getting to the Finals and couldnt do it once.

I wouldnt be surprised if this season ends in another "heartbreak moment" and people are gonna blame small ball, Harden, Morey etc when the culprit is really just Dumbtoni making the wrong decisions at the right times or vice versa.

#770 roslolian, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Sadboy and Gray_Jay like this.
  11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

it's pretty clear we struggle with younger teams. we are one of the oldest team in the league.

D-rock and Patience like this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

Fair enough. For me, the offense flows much more smoothly through James, with Russ while its exciting, its also really janky lol.

D-rock, Patience and deb4rockets like this.
  13. Section123row16seat1

Suns were on fire and had mega revenge after not beating us in forever

our roster we just rebuilt literally one day ago and was depleted after our best win of the season

they get a pass in my book

We better beat Utah

D-rock and Patience like this.
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

LOl, they are Tortoise and the Hare.

Patience likes this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Not true. We're winning the title this year because we only beat the good teams. Won't see bad teams in the playoffs. :D

D-rock likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Your words

Rocket River

J Sizzle likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harden scored 30 in 3 quarters, Russ scored 40 in 4 quarters. The difference between Lakers game and Suns is that Rockets role players hit their open 3's.

It's as simple as that.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you remember how the story ends, then the tortoise wins.

LOL

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That would be awesome, but let's see if we can win 2 in a row first against good teams. Utah and Boston should fit that bill. It's all a guessing game on winning a series against a good team. That and the now free for all to the basket and rebounds teams will get makes it hard to predict. I can't plan my vacation around them again this year, so will miss most of the playoffs. I should be back for the Finals though.

The games come on too late in Europe for someone who likes being out and about early. That's the price I pay going to Europe, but at least it will be a stress free vacation. I get enough stress during the rest of the season.

#779 deb4rockets, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Drift Monkey likes this.