1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the trade deadline officially passed, Daryl Morey shifts his focus to the buyout market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Feb 6, 2020.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Didnt we trade for Rivers and Faried? Or am I misremembering. No I think we got Faried out of buy out you are right.

2. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Rockets let's fix a glaring weakness at SF by creating a glaring weakness at C.

Now we get to sit and wait for the perfect buyout peace to become available then sign with another contender.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i can't speak for others, but his first year here i didn't criticize him even once, even though his appearance and manner were that of a mangled hyena. it's his body of work that speaks for itself now. there is no fuking way his actions can be defended.

BHannes2BHonest and BMoney like this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Smart roster building...

Did you see the "smart roster building moves" we made last season? Burning picks to jettison Ryan Anderson's deal by breaking it into pieces and then flipping those pieces (with picks) elsewhere. All to gain an expiring contract which we could void so that it wouldn't become a tax issue this season.
    That wasn't roster building. That was tax-dodging.

And sure, it makes no sense to pay tax if you don't have to. Of course that's true! But the repeater tax is after 3 seasons in a row. We've had 0. After a 65 win season, using picks to dump salary to dodge the tax, and constraining the GM by giving him no assets to work with except the vet minimum, that isn't smart roster building.

Sorry. But it just isn't. Fat mouth Tilman every year boasts about 'doing whatever it takes' to improve the roster. Unfortunately we fans assume he means being willing to spend (if required) - but his view of an 'improved roster' is based on being under tax line.

Warriors skipped the repeater tax this season - suck it Tilman. Might need to restructure some payments now that you missed out on your share of that pie?? lol.

clutchdabear, BMoney and Dgn1 like this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

They're out back smoking. It's between lunch and dinner.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

We could have taken the deal immediately but Tillman was afraid to go into the tax and we couldnt get it done.

Which woulndt have happend if Tillman had gone for it in the first place.

7. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Marvin Williams would be great!

DVauthrin likes this.
  8. bmd

bmd Member

Rivers was traded from the Wizards to the Suns and then bought out. He then signed with Houston. Nets bought out Faried and he signed with the Rockets.

buffalobills!!! and HP3 like this.
  9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I hope employees of Rainforest Cafe don’t get free meals. Talk about cruel and unusual punishment.

10. bmd

bmd Member

There is absolutely zero proof of that.

heypartner likes this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

What you are rooting for has jack **** to do with the definition of mediocrity which means average or middling.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I like your post but I thought this would be more accurate.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

you are missing the larger point. my point is we aren't contending. yes. you are right that we are better than mediocre. the mediocrity treadmill was meant to signify that we are not contending. fine. how bout "the better than average treadmill"? regardless ...i say contend or bust.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Ask @Nook, there was deal in place but Tillman was hesitant. Then there was that whole debacle with Ryan Anderson and Brandon Knight and those picks we lose. Than there was trading for Shumpert....it was all just crappy move after crappy move.

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

The league is laughing at us

at least the top teams

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Andy looked like the b**** but he made everyone else his b****es when it counted.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  17. bmd

bmd Member

The idea with trading Anderson for Knight was that Knight was an expiring and was a smaller contract than Anderson and could be used as salary filler in trades.

When those larger trades failed to materialize, they traded Knight for Shumpert. They got under the tax and also picked up a player they thought they could use.

Just because they weren't able to turn Knight into a larger trade piece doesn't mean the whole thing was pointless. They just couldn't make a trade. So in the end, he was flipped for a player they could actually use in Shumpert as a last resort, both to help the team and get under the tax.

You're acting like getting under the tax was the entire goal, and it wasn't. It was the last resort when nothing else materialized.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I understand the point you are TRYING to make perfectly. What you don't seem to understand is that WE HAVEN'T PLAYED ANY GAMES YET WITH OUR NEW ROSTER. You literally have no leg to stand when spouting this opinion of yours. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't we just run the Jazz off the floor with Harden, WB, and Capela out and our tallest player being 6'8? When we had 7'6 Yao, didn't teams routinely and effectively defend us by fronting the big? Didn't we have this 6'6 midget called Chuckwagon that guarded big men beautifully game in, game out? How about you actually wait for the games to happen before running around trying to convince everyone that the sky is falling?

19. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

I waited till the deadline had passed before making judgement. The Capela trade is officially a bad one. Yeah, we get Covington. But we also only get an unproven Bell. And we gave away a 1st.

Not sure how they think we can compete in the playoffs with this lineup. We're going to get destroyed against the bigger teams in the paint and on the boards. So expect another quick exit from the playoffs again.

Tilman doesn't have a clue about basketball. He's proved that by the few years he's been here. He just brought the team just so he could make a profit on it in the future. Wouldn't surprise if he bleeds this team dry and then leaves in a few years. Awful owner.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

well the rockets don't have bell. They have Bruno