1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Value to the team is really style dependent. Particularly in the case of Capela.

And Roco

#701 yixiixiy, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Vivi, D-rock, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

But wasn't that exactly the situation CC was in?

3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

not in my eyes, he just has a minor injury like all players get, it didn't lower his value. IMO they were just holding him out because they knew they were going to trade him....

if we held onto him and he got an knee injury his value would have plummeted. He already had an acl tear before we got him as a rookie...his game is all athletiscm, so we needed to trade him in his prime to get the most value back.

D-rock likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's not just Roco and Bell, you forgot 12M in capspace and a 2nd round pick. In terms of value when you weigh the pros and cons imo the Rox come out slightly ahead in the deal.

Majority of Capela's value comes from regular season performances, in the playoffs when Harden and Cp3 got contained he has not shown any ability to rise above his man and lift the Rox to a win. While I think Roco'a value is greatly exaggerated I also think now that Capela'a gone people are suddenly overrating him as well. CF is like a hater's board nowadays, every player that leaves is amazing while everybody we get sucks lol.

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I was furious last night. Absolutely baffled how we could add a first round pick to CC. I always thought Covington and Bell plus one more asset was CC's value. Today, I still think the trade is lopsided but it is what it is.

My favorite part of the deal is that Mike D'Antoni gets to do it his way. If this is his undoing fine but the man deserves this shot to go out on top. Morey proved that he isn't a snake like Steven Kerr who completely screwed Mike at the end of his tenure with the Suns.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...uster-trade-shaquille-o-neal-article-1.306487

Daryl has made trades with the future out of focus and a clear eye on giving Mike the best shot he has to win a championship.

like @ch44 says, the window is 2 years. This deal absolutely proves this to be true. Morey and Mike are going out into the sunset with the most bizarre experiment I've ever seen.

The death lineup of the Warriors keeps getting brought up but people tend to forget that even though their best line up was a small five, they had a seven footer in KD and it was used sparingly throughout each game as a crazy change of pace.

Harden is a power forward now, Tucker is a Center and Covington is a PF/C combination.

These are our three most important players now.

This is your current eight man rotation for the playoffs.

Russ/Austin
    James / Ben
    Eric / Danuel
    Robert
    PJ

That is Russ and seven shooters. I don't think PJ has the youth to pull it off long term but if there's anyone who will fight through anything it's PJ.

Richaun Holmes would be my #1 target to add into the trade and it's not close. He allows the team to play the PNR, he has youth and he has the ability to spread the floor even though he's not doing it now. In 2016 he shot 35% from 3 on 1.5 attempts. That's good enough to provide some spacing when in the game with the Russ and it's perfect next to James. He also played next to RoCo in Philadelphia and under Mike in 2015-16.

6. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

desperate team with a desperate move, not going to improve the team, like i said, CC was never the problem, harden is the problem

ashleyem and jacoby like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

The improvement comes in the form of perimeter defense, allegedly Roco is Ariza 2.0 and is good enough to guard the best wings in the NBA. Having him should synergize well with Tucker defensively. Losing Capela may or may not hurt, regular season Rox are 10-1 without Capela and in the playoffs Capela has sucked every year without exception so far.

Specifically for THIS year it will be a massive improvement cuz MDA hates tall people above 6'8, with Roco we upgrade our starting PF from House to Roco, and when Tucker rests Roco can play center alongside House.

solid likes this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I wouldn't call Plantar faciitis minor. It's a chronic injury to a big man making over $15 mil a year for the next 3 years.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

How much is the difference between a low first rounder and a 2nd rounder? Evefybody keeps harping on the FRP like its the end of the world we still got a 2nd pick in the deal. You are talking about going down a couple of spots in the low end of the draft.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so tucker sticks leroids like always. roco on AD now. that means beardo on dwight/mcgee? o_O

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The 2nd Rounder pick is in 2024 apparently.

I am completely okay with getting rid of another first rounder if it lands us a talent that is worth a first rounder but I didn't think we got an equal value proposition here.

D-rock likes this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

James will destroy either of them like Draymond did to Clint and Dwight.

I think what everyone fails to see is that the closest thing we have to Draymond on this team is James Harden.

He's 6-5 with a 6-11 wingspan and built like a ****ing ox.

Patience likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Who cares what year it is people didnt care the 1st round picks we gave up for WB is 3 yrs away.

In what way is it not an equal value proposition? One of the reasons I'm ok with the trade js we still have Hartenstein and Chandler. If you need 12 hard fouls and big bodies Rox still have those 2. If MDA decides to play them.

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Yes they did.

Plenty of people did not like the draft picks in the CP3 trade, including myself. Don't assume.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

donkey has a couple inches and 20lbs on james. and he was allowed to trip, kick, elbow, jab at will. by contrast zebras get orgasmic at any chance to call james for any foul in the paint. plus the wear and tear of playing guys much bigger than you is going to physically drain james over a long series. donkey played on an all-star team while james has to carry a team of scrubs on his back

D-rock and slothy420 like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you didn't like losing the draft picks that means you DIDN'T care those picks were 3 years away. If you cared that it was 3 years away then you would've liked losing the picks.

It's the same thing here if you didnt like losing the FRPs even if they were 3 years away you should be happy with the 2nd round pick even if it is 4 years away.

I'm not assuming. You should just be consistent.

17. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

PJ will get hurt trying to battle as a center.

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It’s being forgotten because we likely won’t use that cap space. It’s not like we haven’t been sitting on available $$ to sign help since we got a new owner.

eliefor3 likes this.
  19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Yes keeping capella and trading harden would have made it better. Lol. All Clint is as a player is bc of harden.

D-rock likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member