1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Audioout

Audioout Member

Mo Bamba about fits this amount...

fckbandwagons likes this.
  2. JackLordsHair66

What gets me about this is he's worse than Clint offensively wtf ??? He's not going to drag anyone out of the paint like when has that ever happened ??

3. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

You are an absolute idiot if you think we aren't done...What asset's does this team have to use to get someone of significance with that 12 million...Should have had ATL send both of their picks, outside of trading Harden, Westbrook we have to attach a pick to trade a player of ours from here till the end of this team. the First round pick was way too much

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Noel isn’t the best fit with the starting unit, but he can fill Capela’s rim-running role when Westbrook is on the bench for a fraction of the cost ($2 million) of what Capela is making.

#524 DVauthrin, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    saleem, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  5. DVauthrin

The Rockets have many trade exceptions and are now 5.8 million under the luxury tax line. They can simply trade one of them for a Capela replacement.

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

I think someone has already replied to you about this. I think I would like to have Looney here as much my first choice.

7. JackLordsHair66

Wow just seems like we gave up a lot esp with that FRP to get a 3D wing that is solid but means we will be playing small ball 80% the time which probably fine until we have to face LAL, LAC, MB, Heat, and probably 4 other teams small ball won't work as well against ughhh

8. icewill36

icewill36 Member

he is a good defender though on switches, much like clint. so i guess you think of it as still having clint, but upgrading the wing position with roco.... i havent watched the thunder as much this year, but i liked him a lot last year and actually feel like the thunder were much better defensively with him in than adams specifically because of his ability to switch. he is very active though a bit foul prone.

D-rock likes this.
  9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I think we're having two separate discussions. Whether the team got better isn't where I'm frustrated with ownership. It's my understanding that Clutch is the one that tweeted that Green, Nene and the FRP were somewhat of a separate trade. Maybe put Clutch on your list because I would assume he tweeted that because he isn't thrilled about it, but I can't really speak for him.

Yolo, in text there is no tone so please know I'm talking to you respectfully and calmly because it isn't my style to get into with people here. I don't agree with everyone's opinion but I try to respect everyone.

I sometimes like to make analogies to make my point so please indulge me. If I'm playing poker, and I flop a royal flush, then go all in after the flop and everybody folds, I still win and my stack gets bigger. Regardless of winning it doesn't excuse the fact that the hand was poorly played. I'll indulge you now and say sure, the team got better. It still doesn't negate the fact that Tilman played the hand poorly if Nene, Green and the FRP didn't contribute to us getting Covington. As for the cap space or trade exceptions, time will tell. This story is actually developing so fast that maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it was necessary to throw in the FRP, I guess we'll both know in a few days. Just seems really steep of a price to dump such a small amount of salary.

Corrosion, harold bingo and D-rock like this.
  10. JackLordsHair66

Same here but he's only played 12 games and just returned the other nigh after missing 18 games that's risky given he's been hurt a lot lately but he would be my choice as well, don't see GSW helping us out though

saleem, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

will see what happens.

12. Chamillionaire

Just got done reading through this thread and I gotta say, some of ya'll tripping.
    True, sucks we had to give up the FRP.
    But Covington is a first-team all-defense forward.
    He moves the needle more for us than Clint ever could.

We're definitely not finished and can't really say anything more until we get another player and them gel.
    I love this trade. Again, I wish we could have kept the FRP, but you gotta give something to get someone of Covington's caliber.

13. DVauthrin

The Rockets match up with the Clippers even better now than they did before. They can now have Tucker and Covington guard Leonard and George.

They matched up poorly against the Lakers and Bucks with or without Capela. Also, Capela was a defensive liability against the Bucks because Brook Lopez pulled him away from the basket. The Heat are less talented than the Rockets, and they aren’t coming out of the Eastern Conference anyway.

BHannes2BHonest, jcmoon and D-rock like this.
  14. JackLordsHair66

That's true he is athletic and quick, but um here's a dumb question but is he even available ?? I mean they are in the playoffs and likely going to remian there seems like it doesn't make sense for him to be made available to a WC rival (sorry I don't follow player movement much as you can tell)

saleem and D-rock like this.
  15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I have to agree with the minority that this trade makes the Rockets a better team - at least fit wise. Covington, Gordon, Westbrook, Harden and Tucker are just a much better lineup in terms of fit and spacing. Capella was a very good rocket and gave the Rockets exceptional vertical spacing by being an elite rim runner... however with the arrival of Westbrook, Capella's fit in the offense became exceedingly problematic through no fault of his own, With Harden, Westbrook and Capella on the floor - the Rockets seem to be especially vulnerable to teams trapping Harden, which may have been one of the reasons for his disastrous couple weeks in January. This trade potentially eliminates that problem while at the same time makes the Rockets more explosive, versatile AND a better shooting team.

Only problem is... what about defense? Covington is a good defender and will help the Rockets immensely with his wing defense. Furthermore, he will also be able to switch 1-4, giving the Rockets more versatility on defense. While this all sounds great in theory, one huge question remains... how will the Rocket defend against Anthony Davis, Jokic, Lebron & Harrell & other bigs come playoff time. A crunch time lineup of Covington, Gordon, Westbrook, Harden and Tucker matches up great against the 15-18 warriors, but how will they handle the big lineups of the 19 Lakers, Clippers & Nuggets?

nabil474 likes this.
  16. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Why would Orllando give us Mo Bamba for free? We're pretty much out of picks now. Doubt they want the 60th pick in 2024.

17. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

We did. Clint was his name.

18. JackLordsHair66

True on MB, not sure i agree on LAC but see your point. Heat are pretty good but i guess we are going to see soon enough just hope this isn't the end of the trade or I just feel we didn't get much better at all and lost a lot in rebounding and rim protection. I get the spacing element and again we will have to see if RoCo can help with that by hitting open shots. I get his defnsive switching gives us an advantage now but is it that big of an impact hmmm

19. DVauthrin

The Thunder are more concerned about the future than this season. The fact they are likely going to make the playoffs after trading George and Westbrook is a bonus. They would prefer to move Adams, but his destination was expected to be Atlanta, who no longer needs him.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Gallinari (free agent to be), Adams (one more year at $27 million), Schroder (one more year at $15.5 million and Noel (free agent to be) by Thursday’s deadline.

#540 DVauthrin, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    saleem and D-rock like this.