1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman Fertitta is seeking to shed additional salary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

This guy doesn’t get it. Winning a Championship will bring you $$. Houston is already weary of the Rockets as contenders. Now you’re gonna put the nail in the coffin by being cheap.

clutchdabear, HP3 and BaselineFade like this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Ok you seem confused on this.

Russ and CP3 make nearly identical amounts in per season income. Russ sells more merchandise. Russ gives tilman the excuse not to enter into repeater tax this season. The reasoning behind this is that Russ and Harden will require us to enter the luxury tax in future years but avoiding the repeater tax is something tilman has repeatedly mentioned in interviews. CP3 was at year three meaning that tilman was entering into year one of paying the luxury tax under his pretenses. Russ will not be here at the end of his contract if I had to guess. The repeater tax is a strawman used to allow tilman to save some money while keeping the fans happy in his mind.

Eric's contract does not go up this season. It goes up next season. tilman has not paid extra on Eric as of yet but it wouldn't surprise me if he is traded away this offseason before the pay raise goes into effect. We wanted to ensure we got him at a good rate whether it was for keeping or for trade value in the coming seasons. Extending Eric was not debatable. His contract is less than he would get in the open market and if he performs well, he provides the team with a great asset and an easy out of the luxury tax in future years.

#82 treyk3, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  3. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

It wasn't that he paid too much, (which he did buy at the top of the market - not good) it is that he paid too much of his net worth for the Rockets as a percentage of his overall asset base or portfolio, he is the ultimate "house poor" in laymen's terms. It really hurts him to pay the luxury tax, and it really hurt him when Morey tweeted and killed his Chinese advertising revenue base, and it may cause him to sell the team at a loss in a few years when the Rockets are bottom dwellers, and the economy is in a recession.

malakas likes this.
  4. macan

macan Member

man this stingy MFer gonna cost us Harden and Russ's prime and a couple of championships with all his tax saving...
    we soon to become the Knicks in the west after Harden and Russ retire.

BHannes2BHonest and clutchdabear like this.
  5. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

I don't think Harden or Westbrook will be retiring here if Tilman keeps doing every thing to save money and avoid bringing them help. They'll want out.

Gray_Jay and macan like this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

“I’m not going to let a few million dollars (determine decisions),” Fertitta said. “Going to that seventh game, even though it would have been there, we’d probably still make a million and a half because we get part of their gate. If we go to the Western Conference finals, it’s worth $10 to $15 million to us. I’m not worried about the luxury tax. And that’s not just $10 million; it’s the next year’s ticket renewals, the sponsorships, everything. If you are in the luxury tax and you’re winning, you’re going to be a more profitable team.”

He was more perturbed by a report from a SiriusXM NBA radio host during the season that he was “feverishly cutting costs” throughout the Rockets organization. He had called that report baseless at the time and went further this week.

“That’s the stupidest thing I ever heard,” Fertitta said. “I spend more money on little things than anybody else. I just bought us a brand-new 767 that we’re re-fitting right now. Everybody else just rents planes. I want our players on our plane. And it’s not a 757; it’s a 767.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...tta-determined-to-do-whatever-it-13853558.php

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Very little reason to stay invested in this team if Tilman isn’t going to do something to try to improve them. The Rockets have the oldest roster in the league and a lame duck head coach. Might as well blow the whole thing up and start fresh next season if you aren’t going to try to win RIGHT NOW, because this team just isn’t good enough at the moment. You either make the necessary moves to win now, or you blow it all up, because old teams are only fun when they’re winning. If you trade away Capella and somehow get older in the interest of saving money, I’ll probably be done with the Rockets.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm telling yall, we need a #metoo situation.

If Tilman has dirt out there, someone, time to speak up for the greater good of the Rockets franchise.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Houston doesn’t care about the Rockets like that to organize something like this

when the Rockets go back to irrelevant garbage, u will just see a huge uptick in Lakers fans within the city

HP3 likes this.
  10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

That's exactly his logic, but then he doesn't spend the MLE three years in a row, refuses to add assets from OKC in the Westbrook deal, trades picks to move contracts that could have been used to acquire talent later...I mean bringing in Westbrook but cutting all of the other operations and coaching budget to the bone is how Tilman does business. It's not conducive to winning a championship and you can't tell me otherwise.

11. JackLordsHair66

If in fact this is all true, and I have no reason to doubt that it isn't, Tilman can go **** himself royally !!!! I will laugh when Harden and Russ press for trades in the off season or next year for sure.

12. macan

macan Member

i ain't even mad if Harden and Russ ask to be traded next year. they deserve a better owner.

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Already everybody, be sure and all act surprised when we duck under the LT again.

I've never seen a person so shortsighted on such a massive investment. It's truly mind boggling from even a business perspective.

clutchdabear and FrontRunner like this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

f*** Tilman, honestly.

clutchdabear, HP3 and FrontRunner like this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

I can testify that over the last year and a half, the man has steadily robbed me of my sanity.

#ImpeachTilman

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

At some point it's going to start annoying players.

Durant left OKC in the end because of moves that looked like the owner was cheap and wasn't really there to build a winning team at all costs and eventually, one or two more years here we're going to get that scarlett letter of being a cheap and poorly run franchise...and that's not a good mark to have.

If the Donald Sterling LOS ANGELES Clippers can't get elite talent with poor ownership...or the Dolan NEW YORK Knicks have issues getting superstar players...it's not going to fare well for the Houston Rockets.

I mean we recently learned that Kobe was all ready to go to the Clippers but West, behind the scenes, warned him that he couldn't play for that owner.

Not saying that players will avoid us, many players just go where they get the most money, but superstar players, all-star players, have options...and if every year we duck under the tax it'll be quite clear that you don't come here to win.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

How are there still Tilman defenders? We go through this **** every offseason & deadline.

Stop falling for the bullshit by Tilman & Feigen.

Had Chris Paul, only to publicly grumble about his contract & traded him with 4 firsts for Westbrook (yes, took on an extra year of Westbrook); didn't take back additional salary in Westbrook trade
    Let Trevor Ariza walk
    Let Danuel House linger in the G-League last year, then paid him in the offseason (what you could have paid him at the time. Of course how he's playing now, last year it was the wrong decision, this year it was the right decision)
    Clint Capela is being shopped.
    Eric Gordon did get an extension.
    Had Ryan Anderson, traded him & De'Anthony Melton to Phoenix for Marquese Chriss & Brandon Knight; Traded Chriss, Knight & 1st/2nd/2nd for Iman Shumpert; let Iman Shumpert walk
    Let Luc Mbah a Moute walk
    Waived Gary Clark (no no not for LTS but "because you wanted to fill the roster spot" allegedly ... we're still waiting)
    You didn't spend the MLE two summers in a row. (Used part on Hartenstein one summer; part on House last summer)

Every signing is for the minimum.

Austin Rivers
    Ben McLemore
    Gerald Green
    Nene
    Tarik Black
    Kenneth Faried
    Carmelo Anthony
    Michael Carter-Williams
    James Ennis
    Tyson Chandler
    Joe Johnson
    Thabo Sefolosha
    Brandan Wright
    Aaron Jackson
    Isaiah Canaan
    James Nunnally
    Chris Chiozza
    Chris Clemons
    Demetrius Jackson
    Chinanu Onuaku
    Terrence Jones
    Tim Quarterman
    Bobby Brown
    Briante Weber
    Trevon Duval
    Markel Brown(2W)
    Vince Edwards(2W)
    William Howard(2W)
    RJ Hunter(2W)
    Michael Frazier(2W)

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There are a seldom few remaining

19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, you do know that Chris Paul makes more than Westbrook right? Rockets actually saved money in that trade.. Lets take a stroll down memory lane since Tillman took over a 67 win WCF team.

1. Let Ariza Walk
    2. Traded Chinanu Onuaku and a second round pick for Marty Leunen ??????
    3. Traded Ryan Anderson and De'Anthony Melton for Marquese Chriss and Brandon Knight
    4. Played a game with House's contract that cost him time with the team.
    5. Traded Chriss, Knight, 1st and 2nd round picks for Iman Shumpert
    6. Traded James Ennis to 76ers.
    7. Traded Wade Baldwin, Leunen, Stauskas and a 2021 2nd round pick for cash.
    8. Made a lowball offer to MDA.
    9. Did the ridiculous incentive based contract for NeNe that got shot down by the league.
    10. Cut Gary Clark
    11. Would not take on additional salary in the Westbrook trade.
    12. Did not use Iman Shumperts bird rights.
    13. Refused to spend the MLE in either offseason.

Part of me thinks Morey sent the tweet about Hong Kong hoping Tillman would actually fire him because he spent a decade building a team to win a championship only to have his owner blow it up in one off-season. By my count he cost us Ariza (our 3D wing), 3 second round picks and first round pick and Ryan Anderson's expiring contract this year. We should be in position to trade for anyone with the salaries we had to match but instead we are stuck with a roster of a whole team under 6'6" and majority minimum level contracts with really no room for improvement cuz our owner does not want to pay the luxury tax.

20. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Tilman's cheapness knows no bounds. :(