1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Refurbished Computers.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Just skimmed through this thread for the first time. I would not recommend either of those laptops. Those older amd mobile CPUs were dog poop.

I picked up a Walmart special a couple months ago with a 10th gen i5 and ssd for 250. The screen is not good at all but the guts of this thing is an insane bargain. I would continue looking if I were you.

2. Xenon

I should also point out that right now is probably the best time EVER to build a desktop. SSD, ram and CPU prices are very low right now. You can get a 6 core/12 thread AMD ryzen 5 1600af (a new CPU not 1st Gen ryzen like the name implies) for 85 dollars.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What do you mean by dog poop?

What could they not do?

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I grabbed a low end Lenovo laptop a couple of years ago -- specs look great but I feel like the AMD chips make it slow.

CCity Zero and cheke64 like this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Best bang for your buck will always be in desktops.

Used workstation/professional laptops are nice if you move around, but ultimately a little bit more expensive.

6. Exiled

Exiled Member

I've Acer spin3

Pro:

touchscreen on bar with an iPad ,crispy and responsive. The rest of hardware is adequate, battery will last 8hours

Con.
    Edges will break, scratched from the first bike's fall
    Keyboard can be sticky sometimes, depends on weather and your favorite drink's spill

7. Xenon

CCity Zero and KingCheetah like this.
  8. Xenon

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

10. Xenon

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

#71 jiggyfly, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You sure you dont want a desktop?

So much better value.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

with his price range, gotta be lookin at i3 processor instead.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I would research into xps models and ask questions around this. Prob knock a hundred less for i5
    i7 4k-https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-1...sh=item288c4f8a80:g:0NIAAOSwNw1eGSG7#viTabs_0

i5 fhd- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-1...398178&hash=item288c27130b:g:-zMAAOSwq1NeFpFk

The laptops you're listing are ultrabook quality, which has the distinction of having U at the end of every processor model. If you want a desktop replacement, used workstations are your way to go. They're meant for working so you get what you pay for.

It takes more effort to understand if you're getting a great bargain or raw deal.

A tip for ebay buying is to look for resellers that hawk enterprise rentals. You can then check their feedback for the same model and the price range they've sold around. Eventually, you might get impatient and look at individual buyers, but those are far more riskier.

#76 Invisible Fan, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    jiggyfly likes this.
  16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

They do. I'd stay away from these and look for nothing lower than an Intel I5 chipset with at least 8GB RAM. If possible get an SSD hard drive to speed up system performance. I've had great luck with systems from discountelectronics.com. I picked up a Thinkpad X1 Carbon with 16GB of RAM and a 250GB SSD for $450 from there and it is running great. Plus discountelectronics.com gives you a 1 yr warranty on all refurbished systems. It replaced my 5yr old Thinkpad E550 which I donated to Good Samaritans of Garland.

#77 HillBoy, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is interesting, but how much faster is an SSD once the computer is up and running on an old system?

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

It depends what you're doing, like if you're loading programs (or using disk intensive apps) /browsing websites/downloading (with very high speed internet) or transferring large files the SSD will make an insane difference vs a normal drive. Like if I'm downloading a game from steam, I can saturate my entire bandwidth available to download files fast (400-500 mbit/s), so to put that in perspective, I can download a 50 gigabyte file in roughly 15 mins. With a mechanical drive it will start sort of fast and slow down and state "waiting for the drive to write" - so constant throttling (thus slowing the internet rate down).

I stopped running mechanical drives on all OS drives roughly 7 years ago and never looked back, SSDs are honestly the biggest improvement I've seen in computers other than incremental cpu bumps or the bigger gpu bumps, the only time I recall a huge difference in performance was the time I went from 4MB of RAM to 8MB in the 90s on a 486... And looking back it might have been more nostalgia like since it's what got me into building computers.

To add additional perspective, I don't know why mechanical drives are even sold as the os drive on current systems, for example... I can easily take a 4-5 year old i5/7 system (maybe older but some of the latest 10 updates seem to like the cpu being a little more relevant) install an SSD and have it run circles around a current i5/7 system using a mechanical drive (assuming both are running the latest version of windows 10 etc). I mean while it won't help with say gaming fps, it sure as hell will beat the newer computer in most every other use that involves accessing the drive (so even something mundane like searching for a file on the drive is fast, while on a mech drive it's awful). I will only use mechanical drives to back up data at this point.

#79 CCity Zero, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member