1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden is simply not a leader and never will be

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jan 15, 2020.

1. JackLordsHair66

This entire post and your follow encapsulate the major issues. We all know without Harden we are probably not a playoff team (unless as Chow says we used that money for many other solid role players in which case we would be) so I’m not in any way saying trade or get rid of Harden but it’s clear Dantoni and Morey have entitled James to do pretty much whatever he wants out there on the floor w/zero accountability and the eye test tells me that starting to wear thin, even Russ who played his ass off trying to keep us in the game last night seemed a bit agitated at the end. Hardens attitude, body language and effort on the court last night were in full bloom as the game spun out of control, it’s just getting old watching him arguing for a foul call (most of the time a legit argument I concede) while his team is playing 4 on 5 on the other end. I feel big changes coming, won’t be shocked at all if MDA and Morey are gone and one of Russ or Harden is traded at the end of this year once we get bounced from the playoffs (if we even get in, you may laugh but I think there a real chance we don’t )

2. JackLordsHair66

If that’s the case then Mike and Morey are idiots for not recognizing this and just pulling the trigger on a realistic load management situation. I don’t know that I agree with you as his minutes had been going down a bit in the last several games though. Yeah he plays too many minutes because our coach basically has no other option but to ride him into the ground which ultimately isn’t going to get you where you want to go in the playoffs.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Harden isn't going to get traded. You always get less in return when trading someone of the level Harden. The team will have a couple more 45-55 win seasons with Harden and Harden will ride out his contract.

After that it's difficult to see what's going to happen. I don't know how high Harden values creating a legacy on one team vs ring chasing.

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

"Harden isn't a leader" is true. It isn't a knock on his amazing talent. It's just his personality. Lots of athletes inspire their teammates with stellar play. Some try to motivate, bully, or coach their teammates to play better or to lock down in crunch time. But most stellar athletes don't have the personality to do those things at the level you need to win an NBA championship.

LeBron and Kobe have that personality. Curry, KD, and Kawhi don't, but they had sufficient team talent or a teammate who supplied the leadership.

Chris Paul was brought here to supply not just a skill set, but the leadership Harden lacked. The pro-Harden take on CP's tenure would be that when CP's skills declined, he lost the cred to lead. The less charitable view might be that Harden not only didn't lead but didn't like being led, and wanted CP out because CP was still trying to push or second-guess him. Either way, when we traded CP away, we reverted to Harden as the leader. And what we're seeing now is the result, with all the good and bad.

Yes, Harden will have 50-point games. He'll save us many times. And I'll savor those games. But they won't make him what he isn't.

Crashlanded19, Easy, Vivi and 6 others like this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Love how when we suck for 2 games in a row, some posters get all excited and jump back on CF to let everyone know how right they were about their pessimistic takes. Doesn't matter that those bad takes are the same year after year, or that they disappear when we're on a roll. If there's a short losing streak, or especially on a playoff exit, these guys crawl out of their little holes and beat their chests.

Blurr#7, jordnnnn and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So you admit that every year feels like Groundhog Day?

[​IMG]

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Incoming Harden trade

DeBeards and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

ima big rockets fan. season ticket holder. always defending harden alot...check the tape.

but as they best player on the team u gotta take blame too. its a reason russ does a players only meeting. cause he sees it too. just because u a mvp guy doesnt mean u cant ask for better. we do it with lbj curry when they struggle. this isnt new. harden can do more. as of late he aint been good thats facts

#228 mike2k132, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

I mean Harden has been the one constant. The dude is a superstar and is also accountable.

I hope it’s just tired legs because there’s something off with the team of late.

SF3isBack!! and topfive like this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Who are the best leaders currently in the NBA?
    I will give you one: Kyle Lowry
    Not the best player on the team but the leader. Kawhi was a hired gun. Put HARDEN on the Raptors and then win the championship THIS YEAR.

My point HARDEN does not have to be ultimate one stop shop of everything the team needs.

Rocket River

Blurr#7 likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

Kawhi isn't a vocal leader but in the playoffs at least he puts forth great defensive effort that inspires his teammates.

He isn't the singlular offensive force that Harden is but I have a feeling that teammates enjoy playing with Kawhi more than Harden.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Spot on. It is the one quality CP3 has over Westbrook.

Rocket River

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Russ didn't call a meeting because Harden has been slacking. Even if it were true, he'd have that conversation one-on-one because they're buds.

Something's been wrong with the team for several games now, and my feeling is it started sometime around the game where Harden was on House's case and House threw a hissy.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Inspire??
    You got a feeling??
    I think you dislike of HARDEN is clouding your judgement

If you looked folx quotes from teammates I suspect it's a wash...

Rocket River

HP3 likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Well then isn't that a fault of Harden? Not that he isn't a natural leader, but when a natural leader comes to the team and brings forth good qualities such as accountability and discipline, he scoffs at it.

The issue with Harden here is he WANTS to be the leader. He wants to be held not accountable. He wants his cake and eat it too.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is not true, this is a myth and there is no way you who is not in the NBA can quantify who is a good leader. One example that crushes your entire point is that if Lebron was such a good leader he would never have left Cleveland the first time they were a good team without the talent for a chip. He had to go somewhere else to win. If we replace Harden with Lebron in 2012 instead Lebron would not still be here because Houston cant field the role players and stars to be a dominate team consistently. The entire idea of body demeanor determining who a good leader but not actual actions when it comes to the teams welfare is a biased cherrypicked concept again from guys who dont play basketball looking to pin it on Harden. Its ridiculous.

#236 SF3isBack!!, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Rocket River likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

He's not referring to off court meta leadership. He's referring to on court leadership holding himself and others accountable for hustle and defense.

18. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

We’re losing games we shouldn’t be losing because Harden isn’t taking the open 2 point midrange jumpshot after losing his defender and instead tries to find an open team mate or reset to go back out and try to make a 3. He used to be so good at that, but just stopped doing it.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yes but you dont get to cherrypick what good leadership is and thats your issue right there. Ive seen Lebron give up or are we totally forgetting last year. Because Lebron played no defense last year. I will take a leader who doesnt give up on his team and is still here with us thank you very much. Ask the Cavs fans about Lebron leadership now? He put together a big three superteam got them a ring and left to go chase the same thing else where when he knew they couldnt win. Again this is a myth you guys are putting together and its bullshit. There's literally no point to this post at all. Youve had to concede your point so many times that this entire thing is meaning less.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

we knew it wasnt called for harden alone lol. that wouldnt make sense. so im asking u. has harden beem good these last few games. your thoughts. harden toe has been part of the problem as of late....read my words. as of late