1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do we need to acquire for the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jb86, Jan 14, 2020.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I posted this in another thread but the trick is to send some of the contract matching to another team and take back a player using a TPE.

House, Hartenstein, Nene and Thabo would be enough salary to make Covington happen and we could take 2 or more players back using TPEs such as Bolden from Philly (who is apparently gettable) and Bell from Minnesota to help them with roster spots. I'd imagine multiple picks would be needed to make it work as well. It's tough because Minnesota will have other offers and it's also tough because if we were to send all 4 players to Minnesota in a 4 for 1 they would have trouble with roster spots.

2. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

My bet is Nene and a first for Morris. Acquiring him with the trade exception would put the rockets back over the luxury tax.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

They can make moves to trade Nene, Green, etc after the they get Morris. Morris is not worth a 1st rounder. For example, they can move Nene and/or Thabo to Atlanta and into their remaining cap room by attaching a 2nd Rounder. That should, I think, keep us below the luxury tax line. Maybe even bring back Vince Carter.

DeBeards likes this.
  4. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Chris Paul.

5. macan

macan Member

Kevin Love or Steve Adams.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

So this would need to be a multi team deal, am I correct?

D-rock likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dave Joerger

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

MORE MIDRANGE!

Mathloom likes this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Not necessarily but most likely yes. Philly seems like the best candidate to dump Nene to buyout because they need to clear roster spots.

Minnesota and Houston could theoretically do a 4 for 3 deal with two of their players going into the TPE but that definitely will require more assets and is unlikely.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Exactly. One of the reasons we've been losing is Harden refuses to take lower % shots than what he's taking. We need to show him how to score the basketball.

Pringles and alethios like this.
  11. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Anyone in the mold of Jerami Grant. Doesn't mean they're as good, just that type of long defensive size w/ some skill. Think JayMchal Green types.
    Players like:
    Al-Farouq Aminu
    Torrey Craig
    James Johnson
    I'd love other realistic suggestions

I'll take Robert Covington, but a shot-blocking defensive 3-5 man with any sort of 3-point shot would be gold! Pretty much what we hoped Clark could be...

Mathloom likes this.
  12. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Aminu may be out all season I think?...

D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Aminu is injured for season, James Jones is done.

Denver not helping us, so no Torrey Craig, no Jerami Grant.

DeBeards likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Is that you Mr. Tilman?

DeBeards and raining threes like this.
  15. HROZ

HROZ Member

Jae Crowder is the most realistic target.

Crowder for Nene + Green + Clark + 2 *2nd Rd picks

Should've been the play.

Guess we give McLemore now instead of Clark & hope the accept.

CRJ713 likes this.
  16. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Yeah I even posted right after about Aminu, and I haven't checked in on Jones. I also realize the obstacle with Craig, but there are others out there Morey is aware of that I'm not. Usually I can name pretty much every rotational player on any team, but I admit I've been pretty removed this season... Life is busy

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

look up Jonah Bolden. A few others have mentioned him. He’s perfect in this system as a 4/5

18. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

All we've needed since the 2017-2018 season is an average or above-average 3&D guy. This should've been the #1 priority ever since we lost Ariza, and #2 priority is some more size at the 4 so that we don't continue to run tucker into the ground.

Ideally, of course we'd love Covington, but I'd settle for anyone at this point who can at least make the other team's best player somewhat work for their points, as House has proven he's not there yet defensively. Ideally, that player would at least be 6'6, but I'd settle for someone like Josh hart. Consistent 3 ball, and works hard on defense.

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We need to trade House+Nene for RoCo (Covington).

House is good don't get me wrong and in a couple years he might be even better but we need to win right now while Harden is still at his peak and Russ maybe has a year left before his major decline (he's already declining in athleticism clearly after so many knee surgeries).

The major problem here isn't actually getting a deal done by Morey for him, it's because Tilman has clearly set financial restraints on our GM to not go over luxury tax cap.

tl;dr it doesn't matter who we could get for the playoffs since Tilman won't allow it financially anyways

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

we’re not getting him unless God got us or Morey has front office nudes or GM sex tapes...CF loves to hold onto pipe dreams tho, see Deandre Jordan taking a buyout to come play here for the vet min