1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

How does Boston only extending Mookie for one year factor into your Springer analysis, Snake? To me, it suggests Sox management isn't committed to going multiple years on Betts. (Probably because they're scared of the cost.) If they're not going to go pay Betts, maybe they want to see if they can outbid Houston on Springer? And if that's so, Springer's agent is probably aware of another bidder for his services.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

cant say I know anything about him, but the predating Luhnow doesn’t fill me with confidence

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Boston is pretty much out of it. They will do a soft rebuild. They would have no interest in Springer.

Houston needs to extend Springer or just hang on to him and QO him. His trade value is not high enough to justify trading him.

If it has any impact, Betts’ situation makes Springer more likely to sign an extension, since it means Springer will not be the best OF on the market.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He started as an intern and is still very young. He was steadily promoted by Luhnow and interviewed for a couple GM jobs this offseason. He’s legit. Super sharp, just green.

5. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

You know much more about this than I do, but why would they do a soft rebuild, when they've pitching like Price, Sale, Eovaldi, Rodriguez? Do they project to be that far out of it in the East?

Springer's one of the best lead off guys in the game; Betts is probably the best. Why wouldn't the Sox feet they could get 85-90 percent of the performance of Betts with Springer, at 60-70 percent of the cost?

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

snake, who are your top 3 GM & manager guesses? Think we wait until after the season? Ausmus seems like he could be a good hire.

we need all the positive vibes we can get. I think HOU still has a bright future despite the rough day. Will definitely need a capable GM who can crush international signings...hopefully Alvarez/Tucker/Whitley/surprises can supplement the system long enough for the loss of the 4 picks.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Putila and Espada will be the GM and Manager respectively for the 2020 season. I’ll be very surprised if it’s anyone else in either job. Whether they stay in those roles beyond this year will depend on how they do.

kaleidosky likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Betts wasn't extended... this was just his final year arbitration agreement.... and its going to cost them quiet a bit.

The rumor was that they would trade him now to avoid even paying this deal.

The Astros should and will negotiate with Springer now if they want to keep him. If they don't want to keep him long term, they'll let the arbitration process play out and both Betts and Springer will hit FA together.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It wouldn’t be 60-70% of the cost unless the person making the trade for Houston is a dumbass.

But Boston needs to retool just a bit. They are currently projected 3 games behind NY. Their payroll is maxed out and they lose probably 9 wins after this season in Betts and JBJ. Their farm is trash. Virtually all of their other good players are free agents by 2022 (Bogaerts, Benintendi, Martinez, Rodriguez, Sale, Price, Eovaldi). I could be totally wrong but by soft rebuild I mean that after this season I expect them to let Betts walk and potentially shop 1-2 of their good players if they think they can get good value in young players coming back who can extend their window. But I don’t expect them to be issuing any $150M+ contracts in the next 2 seasons.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Bogaerts is signed through 2025 with a 2026 option
    Sale is signed through 2024 with a 2025 option

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They both have opt-outs in 2022.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think we'll see Osuna traded as well since Crane is cleaning house to change their image.

If the Astros do fall off and end up out of the playoff race we'll have severally highly desirable trade assets in Brantley, Verlander, Grienke, Springer, and Correa.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

What in the world? How would they drop from a 100+ win team to out of the playoff race and selling off some of their best players? Gerrit Cole isn't a 30 WAR player. Maybe I'm missing some sort of sarcasm here.

jklb likes this.
  15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Do managers matter? In a game with as many slight edges as baseball, might this whole circus have a bad effect on their performance?

Moreover, and I know that the Astros weren't untouched by the injury bug last year, injuries could strike and drag the team behind, say, the A's. What if Verlander starts pitching his age? Etc...

It's not totally unbelievable to think the Astros might miss the playoffs. Making the playoffs in baseball is hard, right Boston? Which is why this run has been so magical.

I don't think there would be a fire sale, or even a soft rebuild if that happened though.

16. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize their window had narrowed that much. Re, Springer, I was thinking they were just going to wait and outbid the Astros in FA, no trade required, but you've showed they aren't likely to spend that way for either Betts or Springer.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Osuna's behavior as an Astro is more important than his prior behavior, wrt trading him.

Madmanmetz and kaleidosky like this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Firing Luhnow and Hinch was about image. Osuna's time with Astros hasn't change his image that I am aware except it is no longer brought up as much. Don't know whether Osuna gets traded or not.

kaleidosky and Gray_Jay like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Shitty 3 months...

Taubman
    Lost WS
    Lost Cole (Chirinos, Miley, Harris, Rondon)
    Demoted Reid Ryan to promote son
    Caught cheating
    Fired Hinch
    Fired Luhnow
    What's next?

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

New GM can't do **** because the other teams and GMs ostracize the Astros Org?