1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Castro is what happens when you draft for need in baseball. He’s a bad memory that I’d prefer to not ever rehash.

Smacktle, King1 and raining threes like this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Too bad 2013 was the outlier and not the norm

Smacktle, Nook and raining threes like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Nationals went to three years and that is what got the deal done.

As for Castro and some of the other names out there........ there reaches a point where it is smarter to give internal options a chance to fail or succeed rather than taking on a known quantity that isn't very good. It saves a lot of money and has a lot higher upside.

There are still some solid relief arms available that I am sure the Astros will explore at a lower cost. However, when it comes to position players and even most starting pitching, the Astros are better staying internal.

My understanding is that the Astros will spend money and going into the luxury tax more deeply for the right player, but that isn't a reliever or mediocre catcher.

4. raining threes

Do you think they will add a cheap starting pitcher like Wood in FA?

They need depth in the starting rotation. IMHO

Nook likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Possibly.

I think it will depend on the associated cost and also on whether they can shed salary somewhere else.

They want to make changes and additions through trade but so far nothing has happened.

If I were to make a guess, I think they are more likely to add a reliever than starter through free agency.

Vivi and raining threes like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My belief is that if the internal option (Stubbs) was that highly thought-of, Garneau wouldn’t have been signed. I am not a big fan of Stubbs; he is unlikely to ever post an iso over .100 and I expect his size to eventually limit his durability. He’s fine as a 3rd catcher (especially if he could play another position) because he’s a decent defender and doesn’t strike out a lot. But I don’t see him as a viable backup much less an everyday player. And Maldonado isn’t the caliber of hitter that makes it ok to have a crummy backup.

So it’s not just that I think Castro is a solid everyday caliber catcher, it’s that the internal option is a pretty low ceiling low floor guy.

Nook likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

I understand that and I am not saying you are wrong.

It all comes down to the scouting and evaluation of the coaches and front office.

Also, the cost of these types of signings start to add up. That is seven million dollars that can possibly be used later on someone else.

The Astros can always trade for another catcher at a small number.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I tend to agree with this. Harris was gassed and was put in a tough situation for game 6 & 7, which was his job. He just didn't get it done and I wish him the best...

desihooper likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I predict at least 1 of Bryan Abreu, Frances Martes, or Josh James will be a more valuable RP than Will Harris in 2020.

AznH-TownFan and Htown Legend like this.
  10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'll agree over the life of his 3 year contract. But wouldn't make that bet for next year (though it's easily possible)

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One thing (understandably I guess) not getting any media attention is that if Houston wins 100+ games in 2020 they will be the only franchise to ever win 100+ games in 4 consecutive seasons. I’m pretty stoked about that possibility.

13. HTown2017Champs

And Boston fans, how can you forget. Actually rooted for Philly against NYY in 09, and against the Pats in both Super Bowls, lesser evil IMO.
    That was nice as an ad for the paper, and its true, they're no Yankees fans, but I dislike DC for personal reasons (not turning this political) and have a natural bias for the South/Midwest/West over CA and the Northeast.

14. astros123

astros123 Member

We are so blessed to have Hinch on this team as our manager. We have the most capable coach by a mile in this city. No matter what happens with the investigation as long as they dont ban Hinch I think were good.

HTown2017Champs and texans1095 like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

4 moves I’d like:

Bring in Matt Wieters on a minor league deal.

Reddick and Cionel Perez to San Fran for Samardzija and $5M.

Correa to Cincy or NYM for 5 of their top 10 prospects.

Sign Todd Frazier to a 2 year deal.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You can wish Correa away all you want

But there is zero chance we move him for prospects

Not saying he won't be traded (although I doubt he will) but if he is, it will be for a pitcher who has the potential to throw in the front of a rotation this year

everyday eddie and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Im not dead set on wanting Correa gone, but now that one World Series is in the bag, id rather average 95 wins over the next 10 seasons than have 2 more 100+ win seasons followed by 5 seasons of rebuilding. Assuming a team would be willing to give up enough value, trading Correa presents a unique opportunity to extend the window without dramatically reducing their chances of winning another ws in the next couple of years. All that said, I agree that the chances of Correa being traded for prospects are incredibly remote.

RustyHarden, jim1961 and Htown Legend like this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't agree with that assumption. While I'm generally in the more chances group over all-in, I don't think the Astros will be able to trade Correa with back being an issue and increase their chances in future years enough to make up for reduced odds in the next 2 years.

If the Astros can get a ton of value, they should consider it.

#1598 Joe Joe, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    kaleidosky likes this.
  19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

IF they do want to move him, this offseason would be a bad time in my opinion. Yes, right now he comes with 2 years of control and next offseason only 1. But, if he somehow made it through this year healthy and we were in a situation next offseason where we wanted to move him, coming off a healthy year he would likely have just as much value at that point as he does now, if not more

I think a lot of people (not saying you are one of these) are underrating the Astros right now. Yes, we lost Cole, Miley, Harris, Chirinos...but we lost them off of a team that won 107 games

We are getting McCullers back, even if just for 100-120 innings. We have some high upside arms in Whitley, James, Urquidy, none of whom are proven, but all of whom could easily outperform Miley/Harris.

We have Alvarez for a full season, which is a huge upgrade to what we were running out there at DH the first third of the season

We have the potential of Tucker being a big upgrade, offensively, over what we got from Reddick/Jake.

While i'm certainly not one who expects a full season of Correa, we got less than half of a season from him last year. If he can just play another 25-30 games that's a big upgrade

And the biggest thing is people seem to forget we are still one of the few teams who have two legit aces to front our rotation. Cole was so dominant it makes some people look at Greinke as something less than a front line starter. I know ERA is predictive and all of that, but he had a 3.02 with us last year. Including the playoffs we won 10 of his 15 starts. That's a .667 winning percentage, the 107 wins we had last year is a .660 winning percentage. He had a 2.90 era with Arizona, so his combined ERA last year was under 3, in over 200 innings. He is a stud, but because he pitched behind JV and Cole last year he isn't necessarily viewed that way by Astros fans

I would love to add a veteran starter, mid rotation type. We will need someone to eat up the other half of McCullers "starter" innings. We have high upside but unproven options for the 4th and 5th spots. One more solid mid rotation starter means all of those guys compete for one spot instead of two, and they are options for the rest of McCullers innings. But, even if we don't do that to start the year, the talk that I hear about we might not win the division, or even "Astros miss the playoffs" is comical

Bregman, Springer, Altuve, Alvarez, Correa, Brantley, Yuli....Verlander, Greinke, McCullers....Pressly, Osuna

Bring it on MLB

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This with slightly less worry about pitching.