1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Depends on your outlook window. Sure, over the next two years, I agree. But beyond that, no value at all except maybe a comp pick. On the other hand, if we do trade him, what we get back has to turn into at least one very productive guy.

I think it would make total sense to trade Correa for someone who would be a star type player in the future. Problem is, no way to predict how a given player(s) turns out. If we do do a trade, it will have a returning player that the Astros brass thinks will be a future star.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Potential targets to flip Reddick and his $13M:

Mike Leake
    Chris Archer
    Jordan Zimmerman
    Jeff Samardzija
    Danny Duffy
    Alex Cobb
    Joakim Soria
    Raisel Iglesias
    Andrew Miller
    Craig Kimbrel
    Wade Davis
    Jake McGee
    Bryan Shaw
    Kelvin Herrera
    Ian Kennedy

obviously a lot of those guys aren’t perfect matches; some would require prospects added to one side or the other, others would require a little money to even things out, and some of those teams may have to have a 3rd team involved because they don’t have a need for a corner OF. But all of those players are making somewhat close to the $13M Reddick will cost this season and would have value on Houstons roster.

3. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Jeff Samardzija would be nice as a #3 or #4 starter. Eats 175-200 innings at 4.00 ERA for the AL

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Out of that entire list, Samardzija, Cobb, Zimmerman, Leake, Kennedy, and the overpaid Rockies RPs seem to make the most sense for a straight up swap. Samardzija projects to throw 193 innings and post 1.2 fWAR while making $18M. That lines up pretty well with Reddick, and SF could easily find a spot for Reddick in their OF.

5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Rather hang onto Reddick than give him up for garbage.

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Of all the folks who could potentially be for trade I think Jon Gray has the most Gerrit potential. Not a good fit for us trade wise I wouldn't think.

Perhaps a three way with Arenado going to a third team and Correa going to Colorado.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

They already have Trevor Story at SS. If I'm the Rockies, I would just stick with Story than acquiring Correa. Unless Story can play 3b.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Correa can play third, huge arm on him.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The smartest play I can think for Colorado is to trade Gray, Story, and Blackmon for big league ready prospects, and add those to Arenado, Rodgers, Marquez, and Freeland to contend.

A comparable to the Cole trade would be Urquidy, Toro, Deetz, and Ronnie Dawson for Gray. That’s a lot to give up but I would be on board.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If I'm putting Urquidy in a package it's only for a proven stud or a live young arm with lots of team control. I'm not doing it for a decent starter who "may" be able to break out. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Urquidy was outright better than Gray this year.

AznH-TownFan, raining threes and Nook like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. awc713

awc713 Member

I could see the Rangers making a serious offer for him.

#1532 awc713, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Vivi likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with this.

The Astros have 6 years of control with Urquidy.

Including the playoffs he pitched over 50 innings in the big leagues and had an era of 3.17 and a FIP of under 3.00

He walked 9 batters in 50 innings.... and struck out a batter an inning so his BB/SO ratio was elite .... his WHIP was around 1.

Could it be fools gold? Sure it could be, but his minor league numbers show his WHIP, SO, BB/K are legitimate.

Trading him away is a dicey proposition because you have a decent chance at a 1-3 starter for over half a decade at pennies.

14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Hope one of them returns to the Astros. If Astros are concerned about their payroll at 228 mil, I don’t know why they’d offer Cole 7/250. Seems like they could parlay a little bit of that into 2/15 for Harris or 1/8 for Chirinos

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Do you value Urquidy more than Musgrove was valued when he was traded for Cole?

Nook likes this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Can't speak for him, but yes I view him quite a lot better than Musgrove.

When he came up, I saw nothing from Musgrove to suggest he was anything special as a starter. That's not to say I didn't think he could be good, but he screamed solid middle of the rotation guy as a best case scenario. That has value obviously, but I never felt like we would truly regret trading him.

I've already seen quite a few stretches of wipeout work from Urquidy with 2 true out pitches. My bigger question with him is how will he handle a full workload because he seemed to fatigue pretty hard around 75 pitches or so.

AznH-TownFan and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Eek. He's 35. Not sure I'd want to give a guy that old 6-7 per year for something like 3 years. I know fangraphs says he was worth high 8s/low 9s per year in value, and projects he'll only be slightly worse than that this year. I also know that the Astros are thinking win now, not economize now. Just not sure this club, with these finances, can give Harris 6-7 a year, when they might have to give it to a 4 or 5 SP.

Nah, I've talked myself into it. Offer 20/3, and see if he goes for it. Even if it's only 2 years of good performance, it's a modest overpay.

BamBam likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I wonder how Musgrove would be viewed if Hinch pulled him as quickly as he pulled Urquidy. Probably not as good as Urquidy, but most of Musgrove's problems were when he was pitching when he should have been pulled.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I do for a number of reasons.

First I remember Musgrove struggling to finish hitters. I have not seen that with Urquidy thus far.

Second, at the time the Astros dealt Musgrove, salary was less of a concern and the Astros had several high end pitching prospects close to ready.

Third, I really valued Cole highly. Health was really my only concern. While I like Gray, I don't like him to the degree I did Cole.

I think that Jon Gray is a good target for the Astros, and I do think he will likely pitch to a 3.50 era with nearly 200 innings outside of Colorado. There is definite value in that. With the Astros offense, if he stayed healthy he could win 18 games........ however with Urquidy, I think that he is very capable of doing the same and we would pay him little and have him for 6 years. I also think Urquidy with more consistency could become a 200+ inning pitcher with close to a 3.00 ERA.

Personally, I would have interest in Gray and maybe even slightly over pay but wouldn't move Urquidy or Whitley..... the Astros really need to add to Urquidy. Right now a lot really hinges on Urquidly and Whitley. We will need home grown starting pitchers or all of this will fall apart. Look no further than the Cubs.

The player I would deal for a good starter under multiple years of control is Kyle Tucker. The Astros can always get above average corner outfielders on team friendly deals.

20. Nook

Nook Member

That is some of it. I also noticed that he really struggled putting away hitters. I saw the same thing with Corbin Martin.

Sometimes guys with that problem get such pin point control that it doesn't matter or develop a secondary pitch that leads to soft contact.... For example Kuechel; but that is pretty rare.

While Urquidy relies on his command, he usually gets guys to put the ball in play and it isn't hit too hard. His stuff isn't swing and miss like Cole or the very best. He does give up hits, and he does sometimes give up extra bases. He just strikes out enough guys and walks so few guys that they seldom score a whole lot. I don't think he will ever be someone that just flat out dominates....... but a guy with good stuff, that doesn't walk guys and can get guys to hit his pitches can really be effective.... especially with our offense.