1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden's Free Throw Attempts Over the Last 4 games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Williamson, Dec 16, 2019.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so it will always be 5 vs 8

how do you even expect to overcome that?

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

It's gonna be tough. But I hope it's possible. Lights out shooting from deep could be the cure. Driving and expecting any calls could be delusional.

D-rock likes this.
  3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Lol ... Silver is trying to neutralize Beards offense by having the refs act like "3 Blind Mice" whenever Harden gets fouled! They have to bring Harden's scoring average back to Earth in order to make it look less of a highway robbery when they deny him the MVP once again at the end of the season! Antipoopoo can't fill Harden's jockstraps on his own so they are giving him a little help to level the playing field!!! :cool:

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

We have videos from the playoffs and nothing changed. We’re looked at whinners if we put out a video. Trust me there’s definitely been a change in how he’s being officiated.

BigMaloe, D-rock, arno_ed and 2 others like this.
  5. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It is getting to a point where I can legitimately entertain thoughts that the league (or at least the refs) is/are actively sabotaging the Rockets. But then I sometimes watch other teams and see some truly terrible officiating against them, too.

manlisten, arno_ed and BaselineFade like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m not sure we can

against teams like the Jazz, Blazers, Nuggets, etc, the refs will probably call it fair, but against the Clippers, Lakers, and Bucks it will be 5 vs 8 for sure

Harden will have to average an efficient 40 (I’m talking around 46% from the field and 37% from deep) or the team will have to be very hot from three (pretty much never happens)

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

In 17-18, Harden’s free throw rate went from 50% in the regular season to just 35%

last postseason his free throw rate was 37%...down from 44% in the regular season

meanwhile Steph Curry’s free throw rate went from 21 to 36%

Lebron’s free throw rate in 2018 went from 34 to 42%

KD’s free throw rate last year went from 36 to 47%

Kawhi’s free throw rate last year went from 35 to 44%

people keep saying the refs “let them play and call less fouls in the postseason”...no they don’t, unless your name is James Harden

8. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I hate to even think about what the rate will be this year. Sub 20%?

9. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Boom, what other stats do we need? Get beat up through 2 rounds of playoffs and wonder why he’s wore out.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

they’ll probably inch him down to around 30%...a significant decrease yet again, but casual fans will see Harden averaging 7-8 free throws a game in the playoffs and continue believing that it’s because the refs are just letting stuff go...meanwhile other stars are getting to the line at rates they weren’t able to achieve during the regular season

11. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Look at how many FTAs as a team we had the 6 games prior and including the SA game. And the 7 games after....very interesting

12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Great points. 30% is still ridiculously low for Harden but it is what it is.

BamBam likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

or why his FG% is always so low...hit him on the arms taking threes...undercut him while taking threes...bump him all the way to the rim and then body him on layups

all consistently not getting called for James Harden

Harden is forced to score And-1 buckets, except he doesn’t even get the reward of a free throw...misses that should be turned into a trip to the line end up as just missed shots on the stat sheet

darksoul35, D-rock, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  14. JackLordsHair66

No doubt it’s a complete **** job by the league and that came directly from Silver, they aren’t even trying to be coy about it. It’s a blatant FU to Morey, Fertitta, Mike D and especially Ron Harden !

15. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. I've never complained about the refs before, but this has gotten real. I feared that the last protest may push the refs/league over the edge. Our shooters need to stay in the gym.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

dudes will be like “Harden needs to stop playing for the foul” when he’s actually just playing his game, and defenders keep fouling him...of course the non-calls will affect him

when other stars continuously see their free throw rates decrease so dramatically every postseason and are still able to play through it with ease and not let it affect them come talk to me...

Harden will take a three, clearly get hit on the arm or undercut, it won’t be called, and then we’ll have posters talking about “Harden needs to stop playing for the whistle”

Don’t give me 50% free throw rate during the regular season and then drop me down to the 30s while every other star is seeing their free throw rates increase by a significant amount.

Kawhi and KD had better free throw rates than Harden. Curry had a similar free throw rate. I mean, really? This while they all took significantly less punishment. It’s so ridiculous. The league has been getting away with this BS for years, but people refuse to open their 3rd eye and realize what is transpiring.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The refs have swallowed their whistles in the post season for the past five years.

Same damn script.

So they do it earlier and let the team adjust rather than Murry and the FO filling complaints that go nowhere.

That's what the pundits and watchers want right?

It's like the movie gladiator where it took lions, chariots, Roman legions, and a shiv to the back before Russell Crowe won over the crowd.

Are you entertained??

D-rock, BaselineFade and hakeem94 like this.
  19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Sad thing is he has 4 fts but 2 came off a intentional foul so really he has 2 fts. I don't care who you are, if you shot 29 shots and only got 2 fts people would be talking about it unless apparently your name is harden. Still got 28 pts 8 boards 7 assists so they can suck it

D-rock likes this.
  20. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I think it's partly the refs swallowing their whistles, and partly defenses being able to load up against James in smarter and more effective ways as the series progress. Russ is going to need to be MVP level for the Rockets to have any shot. I kind of knew this coming into the year, but now it's crystal clear that we need both playing at insane levels to win.

Reeko and BaselineFade like this.