1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Gammons said it on MLB Network this morning. He sounded like it was imminent.

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Why would I do that? Jeez.

3. prospecthugger

If they need more money to sign Rendon, they could probably trade Brantley for an interesting rookie ball player and add a cheaper LF with more control like one of these guys:

Going from Brantley to Nimmo would get 2 extra years of control and save nearly $14 million next season. Rosario wouldn't save as much, but either player would mean they wouldn't have to worry about 2/3rds of the OF hitting FA next off-season.

Nook likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Chirinos is projected for 0.7 fWAR over 397 pa. He will probably put up less than 3 WAR over the next 3 years assuming his age doesnt show and he stays healthy.

I was ready to move on from Chirinos when the price was supposed to be like $10M/2yr, but if he’s expecting $30M/3yr, Astros should definitely avoid that.

prospecthugger likes this.
  5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I haven't seen one thing about this on Twitter and usually if true it would be all over. He said this trade AND Rendon were imminent or just rumors?

6. raining threes

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

FWIW, Correa is projected as the 9th most valuable position player next season. Castillo the 20th most valuable pitcher.

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Rumors. But how he said it and the fact that it was said is why I'm sharing it here.

LonghornFan likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

It is hard to know how much of that is bluster by the agent. I will say that the Rockies and Rangers both have some strong interest in him. If the Rangers fail to sign Rendon or Donaldson, they may over pay in the short term to get some positional needs like catcher.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Lots of smoke that Correa is being shopped, with Rosenthal reporting that first. Gammons and a twitter account with a good track record both mentioned the Castillo trade. At this point I’d put the odds of Correa being traded at ~30%.

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Jfc if that happened I would literally crap my pants, like on purpose with my heated seats on and just ride in the mush.

13. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Me too. I'd **** my pants and pray to Jobu.

Nook likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It wasn't that long ago that the Greinke deal appeared almost out of thin air, and in 2017 the Verlander deal materialized without much heads up.... have faith that Luhnow knows how to both do this job well AND do it without too much leaking to the twitter talking heads.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Yup, the more someone digs into it, the less absurd it sounds. The Reds want a hitting shortstop and we do not know Castillo's habits or weaknesses as well as the Reds. Plus the Reds have pressure to do something. They already have Bauer and Gray and Sclarfani at the top of their rotation and will likely sign another one in free agency.

everyday eddie and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros are not a team to call the media and tell them the players they are interested in. Greinke was someone that they wanted a long time..... there were also reports that the Astros like Castillo at some point last year.

Who knows if they make the deal, but it isn't that far fetched.

raining threes likes this.
  17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I would be okay with swapping Cole's 27.7 for Castilos 27.6. Just don't see why the Reds would trade him.

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I wonder if his college email still works and we can beg him to come here?

arendon@rice.edu

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

It is consistent with what I had heard last year, that the Astros were going to shop Correa. We are less concerned with the regular season, and more concerned with the post season and we haven't gotten the best Correa in either situation. Plus there are questions about Correa's professionalism.

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I mentioned it in one of the post WS threads that I was told secondhand that a very very credible source within the organization said the team was going to make a run at Rendon. Local guy, just bought a home in Memorial, has his ring, etc. If Lunhow could trade CC and Reddick for Castillo and sign Rendon.... I’d say let’s f***ing go!

Fingers crossed.

Htown Legend and cmoak1982 like this.