1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Bumgarner would be nice but apparently he might get 5 years $100 mil. Not sure if that contract is worth it. Then again the Cole and Strasburg deals probably bumped his contact into that range. And the losers of the Cole sweepstakes will now go after Bumgarner and will create a bidding war. I heard he prefers the NL(guessing so he could hit?). One team confirmed on going after him after losing Cole are the Dodgers. Could see him choosing them over the Astros.

2. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I highly doubt they shut him down before the playoffs permanently given how we will win our division by 7+ games again most likely. If I'm the Astros, I'd start him down in the pen for the first couple of months and then slowly build his arm up for the playoffs. Or they could do it the opposite way but I have a feeling he wouldn't be very happy about that...

3. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I wonder if he would be against coming out of the pen. Maybe first half, come out of the pen to ease him in. Second half join the rotation? Hopefully he has enough innings available for the playoffs.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Yankees can absorb a dangerous contract like that. It's good to be them.

Cole did his job here and got the bag. More power to him.

We're still OK. If this were the NBA a player shift like this would be a catastrophe, not so much in baseball.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Verlander, Greinke, LMJ, Urquidy, Whitley (eventually).

The Astros, with that rotation and lineup, will be fine. If they get more hitting/pitching from something to come... even better.

6. vonbock

vonbock Member

Don't worry, what happens to pitchers after they get outrageous contracts Look at price, sale, Greinke. Now their teams have to try to figure out how to get rid of the. Astros got Greinke but he is not worth what you sre paying him

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Glad to be in the let him walk crowd, that money is ridiculous. Congrats to Cole but I don't think he understands how much pressure he's going to have on him in that fish bowl with that contract. I don't think his personality is best suited for the scenario. Any kind of injury and associated struggles and it could all snowball on him very badly in New York.

RustyHarden likes this.
  8. Senator

Senator Member

Verlander and Scherzer are the only big money SP's that have come close to performing to their contracts, but this the guy a big market can take a risk on.
    It's still worth packaging some of the batting talent for an elite calibre SP like DeGrom or Syndergaard come playoffs.

9. Senator

Senator Member

As long as he performs on the mound no one will care. The stros should get a small cut of his salary for making him the pitcher he is.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Senator

Senator Member

More misinformation for the kids, the Angels could not pay him Yankee money with $40 mil still owed to Pujols , $75 to Upton and a max deal going to Ohtani in 3 years. Money

money

moneyyyyyyy.

12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

And for leaving him in the bullpen game 7 so he would be 100% ready to go for the 2020 Yankees.

13. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I wonder what Trout is thinking right now...he had a very passive aggressive comment prior to this offseason saying he was done losing and he was going to be by his phone all offseason waiting for the Angels to make that big splash. I think they thought Cole was a given until they saw the paper being thrown around so quickly this offseason.

14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

When you think about it, their fans definitely give privileged treatment to "home grown" Yankees, and by the time they get their big contract (if they earn it), they're loved by fans and are already comfortable.

After reading your comment here, I started thinking about all the high end players they've traded for or signed at huge contracts and I'm pretty sure the majority have been a flop relative to their contract and at some point heard from the fans.

15. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

That's what I'm saying. With $320m my mind would be at the beach

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

I hope his arm falls off. I hope he needs TJS.
    I hope he's their next Jacoby Ellsbury
    I hope the Red Sox & Rays beat their ass and they don't even make the playoffs.
    **** him!
    **** them!

17. astros123

astros123 Member

Cmon. Quit fooling yourself. We both know that rotation doesnt cut it. LMJ will be lucky to pitch 125IP. Verlander is only a year older and he looked old in the postseason. Was fastball dependent. This is the same Grienke who we pulled out in the 7th inning after only pitching 80 pitches. We must think really highly of him.

Verlander/Greinnke/LMJ/Urquidy/ versus Cole/Severino/Paxton/Tanka/German

We need another TOR starter to compete with the Yanks. Bottom line.

#1097 astros123, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Boo this man.gif

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

It's like Christmas morning for you!
    Yankees still suck!

;)

Invisible Fan and Os Trigonum like this.
  20. CinematicFusion

Astros had a window in 18 and 19 with a solid pitching staff and didn’t get it done.
    Injuries, slumps, other team gets hot all factor in.
    Verlander/Cole didn’t close the deal for us in 18/19.

Cole going to Yankees doesn’t mean they automatically win the WS.

Cole turns 30 in September so the Yankees have a pitcher that will be great for at least 4-5 years.
    Their rotation next year is awesome.