1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron Sources: Rockets aggressively pursuing Jimmy Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 19, 2019.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Jimmy Butler Ghosted Rockets During 2019 Free Agency

The Houston Rockets pursued Jimmy Butler during the 2019 free agency period after they offered multiple draft picks to the Minnesota Timberwolves for him before his trade to the Philadelphia 76ers.

"Look, the Houston Rockets wanted to pay Jimmy Butler the four-year max and he ghosted them," said Tim MacMahon on the Brian Windhorst & The Hoop Collective Podcast. "They thought they had them and he left them hanging."

"They had trades lined up, I don't know the teams (or) the destinations, but they had trades lined up for (Clint) Capela and (Eric) Gordon. They were ready to pay Jimmy Butler. They really liked their chances and then suddenly, Jimmy had other thoughts."

Butler ultimately orchestrated a sign-and-trade to the Miami Heat. Houston kept Capela and Gordon while trading Chris Paul for Russell Westbrook.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/12426375

mikol13 and Deuce like this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Given Capela’s leap and our lack of high quality depth...I’m ok with this falling through. Harden and Westbrook already is a bad fit. Adding Butler to that would be ridiculous.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We'd be so good with Butler and CP3 instead of Westbrick.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

actually, I took this as westbrook being out of the equation. This lines up with the morey wanted to add butler to harden/cp3 that has been mentioned on here. He was obviously the plan from day 1. everything thing that came out about how aggressive the rockets were in pursuing him turned out to be true. that trio right there. what could have been

arabrocket and Williamson like this.
  7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Either one of them in place of Westbroke makes us way better.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You're right you're right my timing of the rumors is out of whack. My mistake. Would have been Butler/Harden/Paul, which damn...that would be nice.

But we'd have, what, Tyson Chandler as our starting center? That'd be dicey.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

my dream was always to add Butler to Harden and CP...once that fell through my hopes for a title decreased heavily

*sigh*

arabrocket likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah the downfall is the center position gets a little questionable. maybe one of the deals netted a center? or they would be more aggressive in signing one of the free agent C's over the summer? who knows what could of been sigh

J Sizzle likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

I still believe.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets were over confident and shouldn't have been the moment they were *ghosted.* They played it poorly because to make it work they NEEDED his assurances. I'll never understand their over confidence here. I am sure they were confident in making the *mechanics* of the trade work....but it is pointless unless they KNEW of Butler's interest. Just like the Rockets KNEW of CP3's interest ahead of time.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

The rockets had to have had a reason(s) that they were so aggressive. whether that's from harden relaying information or butler initially showing signs with some kind of interest. I don't believe they went in so blind, setting up avenues to get him if they didn't receive some kind of sign that it would work. maybe one day well find out when these guys get later in their careers

amaru likes this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pat Riley is the Godfather, I'm surprised he wasn't able to talk Westbrook into going into Miami with how much interest they had in him at the time too.

My guess is Pat had a conversation with Butler day 1 of FA (or before, no one cares about tampering really) and if Butler had any thoughts about going to Houston Pat changed his mind.

It reminds me of the Chris Bosh chase, Pat talked him into finishing off his career in Miami when we were trying to get him too.
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-chris-bosh-s102014-story.html

Of course the situation isn't exactly equal since Riley had more money to offer too, but it's not like Bosh didn't take a pay cut before.

Relativist likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

i forgot about Riley's influence. I guess that can get overlooked a bit. but still a bit surprising to find out Butler just decided to turn his back without any signs or conversations, especially with how much he seems to show a certain level of respect for harden

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Luckily for us . . .

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, he had that serious issue pop up so it worked out for us

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Harden, Butler, CP3, Tucker and Hartenstein = key to championship!

19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think it's questionable that cp would make us better this year for the duration of the year. It becomes impossible after this year for the length of cp3s contract

20. amaru

amaru Member

Butler wanted to be THE guy for once. Houston couldn’t offer that.

Relativist and D-rock like this.