1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Formal Impeachment Inquiry of Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

For the 2020 Senate elections it should be quite effective for an opposition candidate to simply say " Trump clearly committed the crime of bribery, but the incumbent chose to vote for party power over truth and the rule of law. In the democratic tradition of the Nation we claim to love, we should kick the scoundrel out".

DaDakota, Rashmon and Amiga like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They are hoping that Independents are as gullible and ignorant as they are.
    DD

3. MystikArkitect

Precisely. Those areas are finding themselves increasingly marginalized as the years go by. The youth of today has access to social media. They see what they live in and ask why they should remain there. In turn, to seemingly protect themselves, their voting parents turn to a snake oil salesman with promises of a return to years past.

The electoral college is a problem. A system where a candidate can lose the popular vote by millions and still end up President isn't something worth upholding.

Trump and the radical right (I still believe there are a swath of Republicans who fear going against the party but also know that this is bad for the country) have shamelessly used every loop hole possible to their advantage. Especially the forgiving nature of the Democrats.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I beg to differ. Congress checking the President is something most people do understand is part of the job of Congress. That is one of their constitutional duties. Whether or not the Senate will do their job is up to the Senate. That isn't a reason for the House not to do its job.

People do their jobs often knowing that it may not always work out to perfection. In the world of sports when two teams compete one will not win. They still both compete. By the end of the season, only one out of all of the teams will be the Champions. Yet, each of them did their job even though odds were against them having that ultimate success.

Whether or not the Senate will convict on the impeachment based on what people guess is the probable outcome is a ridiculous reason to not do the job of performing checks and balances.

Lots of people, not just Democrats, hope that elected officials will perform their duties. The idea that people shouldn't fulfill their duties unless there is a greater than 85% chance of ultimate success, is a dangerous and lazy idea. Anyone that doesn't expect more than that from their elected officials should start placing greater expectations on their representatives.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Trump supporters are not the only ones acting on those traits.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If he dos not get removed how does that stop him from doing it anyway?

I agree all of this is extremely serious but the only thing that will stop Trump is to not reelect him.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, but this is a political process, it is important to get the message out how the GOP has been corrupted and bought.......this will help.

This is not about the Presidency it is about control in 2020.

DD

8. dmoneybangbang

Which is why airing all the dirty laundry is so important.

Rashmon likes this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ted Cruz and John Cornyn: I don't like yall. I never voted for you. Ted in particular, I have not at all appreciated your multiple shutdowns of the government and still bear a grudge. I really hate the both of you and would sooner vote for a Democratic houseplant than you. However, when the impeachment case comes before you and you have to choose between the obviously right thing to do -- remove the president -- and the potentially politically more advantageous thing to do, I do promise and swear that if you vote to convict I will vote for your re-election in the Republican primary and in the general election.*

I recognize the gain of my vote probably won't offset the loss of disaffected Trumpers. But I want to do my part to at least mitigate the harm doing the right thing might cause you. I often say I can't punish politicians any harder after I've already resolved they've lost my vote -- but I do still have a carrot by promising to restore it. I know doing the right thing can be hard and it takes courage, so I want to reward you if you show any. Besides, it might indicate you have a soul after all. Hopefully other Texas liberals can also see this is a trade worth making.

* The irony that I'm suggesting a quid pro quo is not lost on me.

Nook likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

That's why I wrote "in all people"...

11. NewRoxFan

I can't wait to watch today's testimony by Fiona Hill.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Other than being a naturalized citizen, I think Fiona Hill 2020 may start trending today.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Caught a few minutes on msnbc where Wisseman (Mueller probe attorney) made a really interesting comment about what the FBI could be doing or not doing in regards to an obvious criminal conspiracy.

Incredibly interesting if they are essentially waiting for impeachment because of the amount of evidence Congress is getting that is worth waiting on.

That little note caught my attention because it just ups the stakes for Trump that if he’s not able to win in 2020 or secure a pardon from Pence on his way out of office one way or another, he’s really screwed legally.

Ask yourself the question ... is there anything Trump would not do to win in 2020?? If the Republicans do not pull him out of office and work our a soft landing for Trump, I think things are going to get insane around here in the Spring and Summer of 20.

14. NewRoxFan

An important rule in law is to never ask a question you don't know the answer to...

15. NewRoxFan

nunes, castor, jordan... these are the people trump has put out there to defend himself...

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Trump should snort some more adderall and eat a cheeseburger this is good for his health
    squish squish

17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Honestly her shutting Castor down was my favorite part. The camera briefly cut to him with his mouth open and kind of making an expression similar to, "How do I make this stop?" Then he looks towards Nunes and Nunes eventually start rambling about Burisma again like he did in his opening statement and then she just continues on.

mikol13 and B-Bob like this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah. Give these people a book to read not written by James Patterson or Stephen "History Lite" Ambrose and they'll break out in a rash.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding, I'm actually not kidding.....I lived in Iowa many years and they fell hard for Trump's bulls***. I have relatives there who looked at me askance when I interrupted their "fake birth certificate" conversation. You have college towns in the Midwest as your occasional oasis but outside of those the culture gets arid, fast. And you'd better have plenty of stories of getting-drunk-and-watching-football glory days.

Nook likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

apparently this is a thing now

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Support for impeachment declines, particularly among Independents, according to a new Emerson poll:

A new Emerson poll finds President Trump’s approval has increased in the last month with 48% approval and 47% disapproval, a bounce from 43% approval in the last Emerson National poll in October. Support for impeachment has flipped since October from 48% support with 44% opposing to now 45% opposed and 43% in support. The biggest swing is among Independents, who oppose impeachment now 49% to 34%, which is a reversal from October where they supported impeachment 48% to 39%.​

https://emersonpolling.reportablene...nes-biden-and-sanders-lead-democratic-primary

Nook likes this.