1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another school shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, May 18, 2018.

1. HTM

HTM Member

So bizarre to me how we have gotten to this place. I was in elementary - high school from 1996 - 2009 and while you had the occasional "be nice to the weird dude so he doesn't kill you when he shoots up the school" kind of joke, there was never any real fear of that happening and despite Colombine (which happened when I was like 7 and didn't register) it essentially never entered the consciousness of myself or my classmates ( I don't think) but now it's a monthly thing. I wonder what changed so much.

Technology/social media really hadn't ****ed us up that much though I guess since it really only got going in '06 and wasn't ubiquitous.

I don't own any guns and never have (though I have shot sporting clays about 6 times in the last 6 months and I do enjoy it quite a bit and have considered becoming a gun owner). I don't really care that much if guns are outlawed or not. I don't see anything changing unfortunately though. Like I have pointed out so many times. There are 400 million guns in this country and a mandatory buy-back isn't going to happen. So, if you want to get your hands on a gun, you will be able to. Tragic. Too bad people are so messed up these days.

Amiga, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

3. Senator

Senator Member

The fact that school shootings keep happening in California, a liberal haven with the strictest gun laws in the nation , only prove the problems here aren't the guns.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms

4. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hope the four injured aren't horribly injured.

Will be interested to hear about the weapon of choice. Wonder if Cali's gun laws helped limit the damage in this case or whether the kid was just a bad planner / bad shot, or whether security was able to intervene quickly.

Kinda glad they've apprehended the shooter too. He'll have the rest of his life to soak in thoughts of his violent act. Maybe he could even do some good and speak out about his mindset and how to prevent other shootings.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What criteria do you use to claim they "keep happening in California"? They happen all over the country.

mdrowe00 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Need a split screen synchronized version of the day's events.

10. dmoneybangbang

Guns don’t stop at arbitrary borders, ask Illinois or Mexico.

justtxyank likes this.
  11. adoo

adoo Member

Santa Clara is ~ 50 mi N of LA;

it is in the district that was represented by that sexual predator Katie Hill, who had resigned in late October,
    when video of her intimate 3-way w a young female campaign staffer and her ex-husband was leaked to the public

in a few days, Calif Gov is expected to set a date for a special election to replace the sexual predator

12. body slam

body slam Member

Fast and Furious

13. dmoneybangbang

My favorite was the Japanese Fast and Furious.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. Senator

Senator Member

Who said they didn't? The point is in a country as large and diverse as the US, the strictest gun laws in certain areas don't guarantee anything when the problem is much deeper.

It's not a poverty issue - they happen plenty in affluent neighborhoods like this one.

It's not a race issue - we see all races doing it (of course, only white shooters are reported in the news but they do not make up the majority of mass shootings).

Let's address the real issues with parenting, entitlement, excess of hate speech in media and an internet that doesn't seem to really care about obvious brainwashing propaganda.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Taking everybody’s guns away might be easier.

18. HTM

HTM Member

https://www.latimes.com/politics/st...-school-shooting-at-2020-rally-in-los-angeles

Politicians act all huffy/angry and pay lip service to the notion that we must stop these school shootings but don’t explain how they will achieve it. They just want the political credit for it without coming off as extreme on guns.

This country is awash with 400 million guns. Incremental gun reform policies aren’t going to end this phenomena.

If you’re serious about it. You have to come out and say, “We’ve got 400 million guns circulating out there. It’s far far too many. To ever put an end to these events we are going to have get these guns out of circulation.” But they don’t have the balls to say it.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. edwardc

edwardc Member

So sad that those so called congressmen and women don't care enough to do something about gun control and the kids are suffering.

20. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member