1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics talking about a possible Clint Capela trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 9, 2019.

1. amaru

amaru Member

There’s nothing that Clint brings that couldn’t be replaced. The main issue, in my opinion, is that the league views him as an overpaid (and somewhat soft) player who may not even be relevant if not for James Harden.

2. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

I don't think teams view him as a positive asset at this point, but break even at best......I'm not sure that there's a trade out there that will make us better this year, unless he's the first of two or packaged with house or Tucker which we can't really do.

I wouldnt give him to Boston unless it involves brown or Tatum....we don't want Hayward.

fryjol7 likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Capela is absolutely viewed as a positive asset.

You are not getting Brown or Tatum for Capela.

A trade with Boston would be a three team deal most likely with the Rockets getting an asset from the third team.

It is possible the Rockets could spin Capela into two players that fit their needs, especially with a draft pick added.

I don’t know if Covington or some of the other named being mentioned will be available. However I do know that a player or two that can help the Rockets will end up being available. When that player becomes available ownership needs to be proactive and not get cute like they did last year with JaMychal Green.

fryjol7, D-rock, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  4. jcmoon

How are you so sure he's viewed as a positive asset? I think the league thinks he's overpaid!
    Not severely overpaid, but still overpaid....look how much they're paying nerlens Noel...

I know it's a very small chance to get those two, but I feel brown is overpaid too. We would have to add at least a first and Tucker or house and fillers but it's worth a shot.

Anyhow I appreciate your input(seems like you have some inside info), but I just don't think many teams will be interested in him....they also have leverage because they know we need to dump him.

5. tharges

tharges Member

Hayward to Memphis
    K. Anderson/Capela to Boston
    Iggy to Houston

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Bamba is an interesting name cause the guy can already shoot the 3 and has potential overall, the Magic might be also ok in moving him since they just paid Vuc which is a guy i don't see geting traded cause i don't see any team trade for him, but that would've to be a 3 team deal of course, and also a risk for us cause Bamba is an unproven player at this point.

Gordon would also be good for us, and he's not having a good season so far, which is kinda surprising considering how big of a jump he made last season, but i don't really see a trade which gets him here with Bamba, seems like too much value to acquire for us...although who knows, Capela, pick/s, maybe House would've to be traded too...

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, Ainge literally agreed to a trade to take Clint just few months ago so i don't think he saw him as a negative player or contract...and i don't even think the Rockets want to dump him, why would they? If they really wanted to dump him they would've done it already. The trade with Boston died because we couldn't get Butler so, the Rockets are the team that backed out of the deal.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Maybe they wanted Capela so they could keep Horford and dump Hayward at the same time.
    One of the main reasons Horford went to the 76ers is so that he could play pf.

9. jcmoon

Have you watched all the games this year? He is not a good fit with Russ, though it's ok. For every lob dunk capella gets, he ends up getting a pass that he can't finish. Teams are going to shut down that capella lob in the play offs and let Russ shoot all day as the first option....is this what we want? NO

It's is clear that we need a center who can shoot the three so we don't have to play tuckwagon more than we should....we're in win now mode and he's the only one we can trade, even if we take a chance and upgrade the forward spot and add a center this summer.....we're may not even make it to the second round with this team.

Clint has gotten worse and I'm saying this as someone who thought he had superstar potential on his rookie contract...he seems to have lost a step...it's clear we have to trade him while we can

Dacamel and BigShasta like this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

But Hayward wouldn't have been a fit in that 3 team trade unless the Sixers were actually looking to get him, which is something i highly doubt tbh.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh, i agree it's not looking good as today, seems like the poor spacing is having a bad impact in the James/Clint pick & roll too, but maybe they'll find a way to make that work again...but anyway, looking to trade is one thing looking to dump is another.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I wonder what it would take to pry Jarrett Allen away from Brooklyn …. IF we are shipping Capela out , he'd be a pretty good replacement and is fairly cheap.

Maybe a 4 way deal between Houston , Boston , Brooklyn and a 4th team sending us a 3/4. (Covington / Crowder / Gordon).

Vivi likes this.
  13. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Capela for old ass iggy? You must be on drugs

Dacamel, D-rock, sammy and 3 others like this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

I like this idea too, i just wonder, at that point, why wouldn't Boston just trade for Allen in the first place? I don't see reason why they would prefer Clint over Jarrett tbh, maybe because a better pick & roll player, but that's about it cause Allen is already a better shooter, he's younger, cheaper...less proven i'd say, but i don't know...

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

More important question... why would the Nets trade Allen, lol.

Corrosion, Dacamel and D-rock like this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Seems to me the teams that best fit Capela in terms of 1) style of play and 2) talent time horizon are the HAWKS and KINGS.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's a good question too yeah.

One could argue that since they signed DeAndre, they might be willing to part with Allen since DeAndre might be the best partner with Irving and Durant going forward. Afterall, they wanted him there and i'm not sure i believe he is really ok in turning into a full time bench player (and in fact he did get some starts already).

But even if that's true, i can see them use him in a big trade for a third star whenever that becomes available, it's worth to keep in mind that the Nets just resigned both LeVert and Prince to not so long deals (3 and 2 years respectively), one guy will make 18M, the other 14M, combine those salaries and you have a max to move on the table. Plus, but this is just my opinion, they don't really fit going forward between Durant and Irving, seems like that lineup would be just too bad defensively and those players all require the ball in their hands to work well so...all things considered, i really think the Nets are just waiting for a big move to make hoping those guys boost their value enough with Durant out, and those guys plus Allen might be part of a big trade eventually, not sure they'll move them just to get a random pick, but that's just me.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Hawks are interesting because they essentially have no win now assets that they would be willing to fork over.

The question is whether they could be the third team in a bigger deal and provide some cap savings to a third team.

Would Atlanta trade Hunter or Reddish at this point for Capela? I'd assume yes on Reddish and no on Hunter but if Morey could get Len and Hunter at this point for Capela it would be hard to say no.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Hawks and Kings could easily be a 3rd team in a trade for Capela. I just think those teams are the best *Capela destinations.* What the Rockets get back from a Capela trade....might not be from Atlanta or Sacramento.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think he would've done that already, but personally, i don't think the Hawks will move Hunter regardless, they drafted him with their first pick and he might be the role player for them, pretty much their Draymond Green (Hawks general manager btw, the one who drafted Trae Curry over Doncic, comes from the Warriors). On Reddish i don't really know but i still wouldn't bet on that...not yet at least, cause going forward i assume one between Huerter, Reddish and Hunter will end up on the bench, and all are supposed to start at some point so, yeah, but they have time.