1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Daryl Morey Preaches Patience With Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Nov 5, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

In a telephone interview on Monday, Morey preached patience. Big picture, Morey told SI.com, he saw plenty of positives. Westbrook has been good, giving Houston its desired boost in transition and playing like “a real warrior” in end of game situations. Harden’s shooting has been sluggish but, Morey said, chuckling, “if people think that’s going to continue we are in trouble.”

Morey won’t defend the defense, which wouldn’t be easy anyway. “We need to get better,” Morey said. “No one is hiding from that.” The stats are brutal—Houston is getting gouged from beyond the three-point line while opponents effective field goal percentages rank among the league’s worst. The Rockets looked lifeless in the first quarter against Miami, surrendering 46-points en route to coughing up 129 total—the fourth time this season Houston’s defense has been gashed for 120 or more. Eric Gordon has been underwhelming. Clint Capela, long a defensive backstop, has struggled.

Morey cites execution as the Rockets enemy, which raises the question: How much of that is on Mike D’Antoni? D’Antoni’s contract negotiations played out publicly last summer, with D’Antoni declining Houston’s offers, electing to coach out the final year of his deal. The Rockets gutted D’Antoni’s staff last spring, bouncing defensive coordinator Jeff Bzdelik, among others, with Elston Turner struggling to deliver results in the same role.

Morey remains firmly behind D’Antoni, citing the top-ten defense the coach oversaw in Houston’s 65-win, 2017-18 season as evidence D’Antoni can get it done. He sees a roster that defended well last year as capable of rediscovering its identity. “I’m very confident that we have the right players and coaching staff, and that we have the defense,” Morey told SI.com. “I know that sounds crazy. I know I have said stuff like this in the past. We just have to have the right execution. [Seven] games in, we have played a mix of teams. Our shot making has made us look worse than we are. Maybe [after] 20 games, if we are still struggling, then we’ll have to take a look at things.”

Morey expects Harden to regain his MVP form and believes shared offensive responsibilities will make Harden and Westbrook more efficient players. He’s thrilled by the play of Danuel House, a Rockets find last summer who is connecting on 40.5% of his three’s in a starting role.

There’s no panic in Houston.

At least not yet.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

From The Athletic...

Daryl Morey: Rockets Can Become NBA's Best Offensive Team Ever

Daryl Morey remains bullish on the Houston Rockets' chances this season, believing their defense can finish in the top-10 and also that their offense can be historically special.

"I really think we could be the best offense ever put on the floor," said Morey to Kelly Iko of The Athletic. "Now we’ll see if we can back that up, but our transition has been really good. Obviously, last year, we were one of the best halfcourt teams ever. There have been times where we’ve combined those two things and looked really good. Sometimes our transition has fallen off, sometimes our half-court (offense). But if we pull it together like I think we can, I think we’ll be the best offense in the league and a top-10 defense. That’ll be a formula to win the title."

The Rockets have had one of the worst defenses in the NBA to start the season, but Morey believes that can turnaround.

"We’re going to be a good defensive team," said Morey. "Obviously there’s been, you know, some things that don’t look good so far. But I have a lot of confidence that we’re going to be one of the top-10 defensive teams by the end of the year. That’s going to be us tightening things up. That’s going to be the mix of players we play, and how we play them. That’s going to be whatever we need to do to be a top-10 team. To be a championship-caliber team, you gotta be a top-10 defense.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Now it's true that one of the pilots is ill. Slightly ill. But the other pilots are fine and free to lead a life of religious fulfillment."

KayJayNZ, Will and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pretty sure the haters don't have patience

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This post was b****y and negative, so I’m editing it...

#5 Hank McDowell, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Clutchfans doesn't have patience. I been saying we have to be patient since the first game.

I don't believe the defense will approach top 10 like Morey believes, but I honestly don't think it will be this bad all season.

Hakeemtheking, Patience and HP3 like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

What does everyone want him to say?

He gets ZERO benefit coming out and saying "this is a dumpster fire".

I do agree with him that the offense has the potential to be the best ever if they are able to add the couple players needed. A 5 that can shoot and run the floor would open up the lanes for Harden and Westbrook and the Rockets could put up video game numbers on offense. Add in that Westbrook solves a lot of the rebounding and offensive transition issues, and House has improved....... and offensively the Rockets can be insane with the right moves.

Defensively they will get better....... but this personnel isn't going to be good enough defensively to win a title.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

Patience sure, but to think we have the coach or personnel to run this offense and defense is just wrong. Morey has to say this, but he should be a little more realistic and critical.

Highlyrated likes this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

All I will say is,.....if Daryl isnt panicking yet, neither will I. If Daryl believes he has something to work with here, I have faith.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Top ten defense will take a lot of work

Highlyrated, smp and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. TilmanFinancialWindfall

What's going on in hk

12. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Thanks Morley,
    I feel a-lot better about this squad now.
    Why didn't he address the small ball lineup of our death though????

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

heres another thing to bear in mind
    will rockets show all their cards during regular season?
    i bet you they wont!

don grahamleone and HP3 like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

post of the week honors?
    @Os Trigonum

15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Morey: "I love PJ Tucker as our center, now I can finally trade Clint for another wing"

vlaurelio and SF3isBack!! like this.
  16. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

“I want to believe”

Fox Mulder

17. macan

macan Member

alright, 20 games it is. i'll take it as Morey gonna make some roster move if we stiill suck arse after 20 games.
    can't wait!!get it done Molly!

D-rock, smp and hakeem94 like this.
  18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The Rockets show you who they are in the first few games of the season that has always been true since getting Harden. Good start means better finish. So so start means second round exit bad start means 1st round. Unless we make a bunch of trades that will hold true.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

btw perhaps he provide us with the intial version so he can contend for the bad post of the week honors as well?

topfive likes this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm sure Morey is more realistic and critical in private and in the Rockets' offices. Doing so in public would be silly.

Corrosion and hakeem94 like this.