1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe vs Pro

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Nov 2, 2019.

1. ballgame

ballgame Member

Daryl Morey has worked in NBA front offices in some capacity for over 20yrs. He gets paid several Million Dollars per year to run one of the NBA's top organizations and he went to MIT! I would consider him a Pro.

Most of us who chime into Clutchfans are just that, FANS! We've watched NBA Basketball through the years and we have a fairly good idea about basketball, players, etc. But at the end of the day, we are just average Joes.

So, why after 15yrs of being the Rocket's GM, this roster is right back where it started when Morey took over with T-Mac and Yao? Two stars with nothing surrounding them.

Golden State built it's roster in 3yrs after drafting Curry (they drafted Klay the following year and Dreymond, next) and even though the Bucks haven't won a NBA Championship, they have a plan of how to build a roster around The Greek Freak; length and shooters. You don't need high draft picks, just a plan!

We don't have a bench and can somebody please tell me, what in the Hell is Ryan Anderson doing on this roster. Sefolosha has scored 1 basket, maybe 2 ALL SEASON and we still don't have a true PF!!!! The same thing we've been crying about over 15yrs, we are crying about now! Lack of Height and No bench!

I BELIEVE IF AN AVERAGE JOE WAS GIVEN THE SAME OPPORTUNITY AS MOREY, WE CAN AT LEAST PUT TOGETHER A BETTER ROSTER.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

when randoms start thinking they could’ve done a better job than Morey...lmao

half of y’all would’ve traded Harden for Kevin Love, Jimmy Butler, or Paul George years ago...

all the delusional trade proposals that are posted on here...no GM would even waste their time with the majority of CF in a GM spot calling them about a package headlined by Clint Capela for AD, or a package headlined by EG for *insert star*

How many on CF still don’t even know that EG can’t be traded this season?

Richie_Rich, IvanLCPM, YOLO and 14 others like this.
  3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

because money problems.

Just think about how the Warriors were able to pay Curry, Klay, Draymond, KD and Iggy while still being able to pay more than vet min for Livingston.

Like poster above me said, EG can't be traded until Feb 29th because of the contract extension rules, our only trade piece available right now is Capela, Tucker and McLemore.

Basically, our title chances are over this year if we can't get back on the right track unless buyout targets saves us again (unlikely).

topfive likes this.
  4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I don't believe that. Neither do you.

EGo, Clint Capelacopter, PJ Tucker.. these aren't the scrubs that surrounded Yao.

EGo is better than TMac.
    Clint is better than Luis Scola.
    PJ is better than Shane Battier.

What Daryl has built is a winner that's getting it's **** together right now. None of us Joes could have done this.

Remlap, roslolian, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  5. eman

eman Contributing Member

Because "basketball reasons."

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Eric Gordon is not better than Tracy McGrady in his prime. Not even close.

txtodd, Nelly, MrSabotage and 2 others like this.
  7. ballgame

ballgame Member

Those TRADE scenarios for Harden are/were delusional, however Morey has people who help him with contracts. I'm sure he has a good idea of salaries but he presents the trade, contract to them and they inform him of what can and can not be done.

Come on dude! EG better than T-Mac

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The average Joe would have been kicked out of the league by now for any number of Tweets they've made.

Better to stick with the pros on this.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

By prime do you mean the whole show-up-on-occasions when he felt like it thing? Or that thing where he'd talk a bunch of mess about how important he was to his team and then not be able to get them passed the first round?

TMac was a scrub. EGo is no scrub. He faced the big bad 5 all star Oakland Warriors and didn't back down. He hit timely shots against the best in ways TMac couldn't if his life depended on it.

What did Yao need to get to the second round? For TMac to get injured. Why? Because he was a scrub. TMac's invitation to the hall of fame was an absolute joke.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I see candidates are still trying to get in dumbest post of the year material before 2019 is up.

LFE171, Richie_Rich, IvanLCPM and 6 others like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

the point is that so many are clueless about the salary cap, clueless about the CBA, and propose the most delusional of trade proposals on a consistent basis

so many here scream for change, but bring up no solutions because a lot of the time they can’t even think of one...just screaming out fire X, and trade Y

leave GM’ing up to randoms, and chances are we’d have seen a Harden for Kevin Love trade in 2013 or 2014, a Harden trade after the 2017 playoffs, or a plethora of other stupid decisions

the majority of average Joes are clueless...it’s ridiculous to think they could ever do better than Morey

Could they do 100x worse? I have no doubt about that.

12. heypartner

Joe looking for trading partners and free agents

[​IMG]

Remlap, D-rock, Patience and 2 others like this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

2K GMs *trade override*, engaged!

apollo33 and heypartner like this.
  14. ballgame

ballgame Member

EG is not better than T-Mac. Give it up!

True Rocket likes this.
  15. don grahamleone

[​IMG]

backwardhead likes this.
  16. smp

smp Member

Morey hasn’t been perfect but he has put together some really good teams without having 3 key tools in his tool box:

1. Tanking for high picks
    2. Spending into the luxury tax
    3. Being in a “destination city” like LA, SF, NYC, Miami, Boston.

What he has built with the constraints he has worked around is impressive to me, but no he’s not perfect. Nobody is though.

The small market teams that have done better are SA, Cleveland, and Toronto.

SA did well but they started it all by tanking for Duncan. Cleveland did well but they had LeBron recruiting. Toronto did well but I’m not sure about tanking though.

clos4life and xaos like this.
  17. ballgame

ballgame Member

Lol! That looks more like Morey right now...he hasn't had a PRODUCTIVE trade in years! Westbrook pushed his way out of OKC and Presti obliged, so that trade doesn't count.

18. heypartner

So, Morey is your strawman to prop up Average Joe?

There's a reason Average Joe isn't trusted with even the simplest things like making pr0n films.

#18 heypartner, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Tracy McGrady was a b**** for the way he quit on the Rockets in Toronto for sure, but he was a much better basketball player than Eric Gordon has ever been. He also was absolutely not a scrub in his prime. He was the guy other teams game planned to stop and was the best player on the team in the Yao/T-Mac era.

McGrady averaged 26 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals and a block per game in his first season as a Rocket. 24 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, one steal and one block per game his second season. 25 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 steal and 1 block per game his third season in Houston. Eric Gordon has never had a season close to any of the three I just listed.

In his first playoff appearance as a Rocket, McGrady averaged 31 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals, 1 block per game on nearly 46% shooting from the field. He averaged 25 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, one steal and one block per game in his second playoff appearance as a Rocket (on 39% shooting from the field, though). In his final playoff appearance as a Rocket, he averaged 27 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals, 1 block per game on 43% shooting.

Tracy McGrady for the majority of his time as a Rocket was an elite player in the class of James Harden or Russell Westbrook, and at least a level above Eric Gordon.

txtodd and BigM like this.
  20. ballgame

ballgame Member

I agree with #1 and #2 but #3 I can't! More athletes live in Houston than anywhere else. Oakland/SF is not a destination city and if NYC was the Knicks and Nets would've won a Championship by now. The Nets signed KD and Kyrie because they are from the area.

But to prove my point, why would Jeff Green who many would agree is way better than Ryan Anderson sign with Utah, where there is nothing there, rather than here in Houston?

I'm just simply saying, I think an average Joe can build a better roster than Morey if given the opportunity.