1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series: Astros vs. Nationals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2019.

1. CinematicFusion

We don’t get here without Verlander
    Altuve gets a base hit with 2nd/3rd one out and the game is very different.

Verlander has a below par game but kept Astros in game.
    Astros as a team didn’t pick Verlander up

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

They have won 7 straight post-season road games. Not sure the post-season record. Nats haven't done that since middle of 2018.

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I think verlander simply ran out of gas in October. He’s old now.

4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Yup the bats didn't help Verlander at all. Who's to say the last 4 runs they had would have happened had they kept Verlander in, or put someone else on the mound with us up, let's just say 5-3 at that point?

CinematicFusion likes this.
  5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure everyone on board will die of heart attacks if this plays out like the Cubs- Indians Game 7 of a few years back.

conquistador#11 and RustyHarden like this.
  6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Strasburg is def out.

Anibel Sanchez and Corbin will come in before they bring up any relievers.

7. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

A little of getting burnt and he just cant locate his fastball now. When he can locate the FB he's a different pitcher

8. SemisolidSnake

I just don't know if I can watch it tonight. I'm at the lowest point in my life (not because of the Astros), and I just don't know if I can put myself through it, win or lose. I'll DVR it just in case. If I do show up, please don't hold it against me if I say some stupid things in the moment.

King1, Joshfast, Eric Riley and 9 others like this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

0-6 in the World Series. Verlander is officially the worst Pitcher in World series history.

everyday eddie likes this.
  10. TedR

TedR Member

You're right- the Astros may not be in the World Series without JV's regular season. However, you can't hide the fact that he's 1-4 this postseason and 0-2 in the World Series. That's not good- the Astros paid him to be money in the postseason, and he's not been. The fact is that Houston's trio of aces are 5-7 this postseason. I don't believe anyone expected that, and it's hard to believe that all of our losses in the postseason have been by those three pitchers. Everyone else is 5-0.

Greinke needs to have a good/great start tonight.

11. CinematicFusion

Right... Altuve gets the base hit and it’s 3-3 or 4-3 Astros. Crowd back in it, there pitcher on the ropes and might get pulled.
    To me... that moment was the game

htwnbandit likes this.
  12. Handles

Handles Member

Seriously, imagine how the players feel. I’d throw up if I were Greinke.

It’s fun to me though, those nerves. It’s all part of it!

RustyHarden likes this.
  13. BleedsRocketRed

Never has a "Home field advantage" game 7 meant more. 3 home losses for both teams so it's even 3-3.

This is why why win 107 games.

RustyHarden likes this.
  14. Elienator

Elienator Member

If people think JV is a choker for not pitching an 8-inning shutout, I don't think anything you say will change that.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  15. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Aww man, sorry to hear that. I hope things brighten for you. We’ve all had tough times before.

16. CinematicFusion

Hasn’t won is a bit different then worst pitcher.
    Example game 2 Astros/Dodgers. Verlander goes 6 innings, 3 runs. That’s not worst ever performance.

Look it’s a team game to 4 wins.
    Example... if Cole doesn’t get hammered for 5 runs in game one we aren’t having this conversation.... we are celebrating a championship.

17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

If you read what I posted about 20 minutes ago, I alluded to exactly what you’re saying being one the main reasons for his postseason struggles during his career. I completely agree with you on the interviews. Any idea if the MLB forces players to do them like the NFL/NBA? If so, it’s kind of messed up they’re doing that with him - you can tell he doesn’t want to be there when he’s being interviewed and his comments about not wanting to throw a no hitter because he’d have to do a bunch of interviews backs that up. It’s honestly cruel given his issues.

Slightly off topic but it relates to interviews/media. I always loved Marshawn Lynch for standing up to the NFL, telling them to F*** off and that they could fine him whatever but he wasn’t going to be forced to do interviews, even during the SB. Because of that, the media always portrayed him as a “bad person”.

However, if you know anything about him, that’s entirely not true. He’s one of the best guys that played in the NFL, especially those that had a rough childhood/grew up in poverty. He grew up in the bad part of Oakland and his dad has been in prison for most of his life on violent charges. Today, he’s incredibly active in the community and does so much for underprivileged kids - the article below is a great read for those who want to kill some time at work today. It’s awesome to see someone like him not only doing so much but also not just doing it for appearance/ego purposes (cough LeBron cough).

Oh and there was a story awhile back on ESPN about how he found a strangers wallet on the ground at a gas station and he drove to man’s house and personally returned the wallet. So yeah since he doesn’t talk to the media he has definitely got to be an a**hole...

https://www.raiders.com/news/marshawn-lynch-continues-to-give-back-and-serve-the-community-in-his-hometown

18. Mattician

Mattician Member

I don't blame Verlander for the game 6 loss. Most of the season he has had terrible run support.

If Scherzer is anywhere near 100% I don't think the Astros win.

The Astros ran out of games in Washington.

19. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

It's just a game man. Taking care of yourself is the most important thing.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  20. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Oddly enough even though last night wasn't a must win and tonight is, I'm more confident tonight(mainly because of Strasburg I was nervous for game 6 althoughScherzer will be tough as well). Hopefully Greinke makes Luhnow look like a genius (although I don't care how they win). Home field been a disadvantage but they fought hard to get home field. Tonight it'll pay off from the help of the fans.

Also be aggressive or try to get to the bullpen? Correa should be aggressive, his first 2 strikes are balls down the middle. Hit a homer or something.
    Make #takeitback become #tookitback
    Let's go!!!!

Houstunna likes this.