1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series: Astros vs. Nationals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2019.

1. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Pitchers needed tomorrow IMHO:
    Greinke
    Smith
    Harris
    Osuna
    Cole

If we see anyone else, I'm going to chalk it up as a likely loss unless something crazy happens like Extra Innings

I just hope Greinke brings his control ... the last time Greinke pitched it was Cedarstrom behind the dish and he doesnt call low strikes which really affects Greinke (and affected Sanchez as a low ball pitcher too). Hopefully we get a more favorable ump for Greinke's style.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also, I'm not even mad at JV, mad at the bats more, wouldn't have won anyway unless he pitched the game of his life.

plates300 likes this.
  3. Little Ray

Little Ray Member

Normally I would agree...but....its the frikin WS!..lol..I'll pitch if they need me..if they can walk they pitch.

4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Tomorrow’s HP umpire Jim Wolf average score is 9.9 runs, which is in the upper quadrant. However, he is very high in Ks and low on walks. At first glance, this seems very good since it appears he gives pitchers the borderline pitches. If Greinke can dot his pitches on the edges like he is capable of he may end up getting some called third strikes. This could also go for Scherzer too, but it is very important that Greinke get the borderline calls.

http://www.donbest.com/mlb/umpires/

Also of note, Greinke’s opponent OPS goes down the more pitches he throws, and he is just as good on the third time through the lineup as the firsts. So if he starts out hot, AJ could conceivably ride him into the late innings.

5. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Regular season stats.

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Never mind ... lol ... answered above

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I get that, but, if your stuff isn't there because of this or that reason, you hurt your team more than you help it.

If you are out there throwing meatballs then it's not going to help, they are just going to knock in a few HRs and in that case a fresher arm or someone used to coming in the game to relieve would be better.

I think you do what got you here.

Yeah, it's all hands on deck, maybe Cole can give you an inning, but if its a high pressure situation I'd rather trust guys like Harris and Osuna who are used to coming in at those spots then someone who isn't and doing it on the biggest stage of their career.

8. astros123

astros123 Member

You're crazy. Cole is currently the best pitcher on the face of the planet. You give him the ball if he tells you he can throw a few innings out there. If he goes out there and does bad then you pull him but you certainly give him the opportunity to try. He's Gerrit Fkin Cole.

Its game 7 of the World Series, adrenaline overtakes your body. He'll be fine. Someone like Cole who feeds off the moment would be awesome out of the bullpen.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

They didn’t review it. They were calling for confirmation on the rule. The manager has a right to request that.

10. astros123

astros123 Member

He got outpitched by Strasburg. Plain and simple. Yes the offense could have scored more runs BUT Strasburg shut this red hot Stros offense ON THE ROAD.

Verlander just cant pitch 200ip+ in the regular season and expect to go deep in the playoffs. We've learned our lesson.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I didn’t happen to see you pick your son up at school today did I? Klein school district?

12. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Pitch Cole if he can. Use him while we have him.

13. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Ok I take back what I said about Wolf. Scherzer has had great success with him calling balls and strikes. Career splits w/ Jim Wolf as HP umpire:

Scherzer 3 G, 3-0, 0.43 ERA, 21 IP, 25 K, 0 BB, .183/.266/.282

Greinke 6 G (4starts), 1-2, 3.60 ERA, 30 IP, 28 K, 9 BB, .259/.320/.375

14. Little Ray

Little Ray Member

..Yep...might be the last time we see in a Stros uni..make it count.

15. phasors28

phasors28 Member

I was feeling bummed out till I saw this. Feeling better about Gm 7

noscrusir and punkoholic like this.
  16. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Yeah but that's healthy Scherzer. Not sure how he'll feel tomorrow

17. Little Ray

Little Ray Member

..Was he ever really hurt?..he's a FA next year as well.

18. SemisolidSnake

If he's throwing like he was in Game 1, all bets are off. He was everywhere but the strikezone. Effectively wild.

19. astros123

astros123 Member

Hey kate if JV is treating you bad tonight then you know........

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  20. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

He's going to pitch if needed

Little Ray likes this.