1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Daryl Morey and the NBA need to apologize to China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by weopeo9744, Oct 8, 2019.

1. bacliff

bacliff Member

They are very racist. I spent a lot of time in Asia and learned to hate the communists but not the people. Morey did nothing wrong here but he will have to be fired and no other team must hire him for them to unban the NBA. The government is very thin skinned and the people accept it as they know no other system.

Nook likes this.
  2. clos4life

clos4life Member

I've never seen a whole country throw a fit over one tweet in a country where that social media platform is prohibited. F that, the NBA doesn't have to apologize. On the contrary, the CCP should be apologizing for all the crap they've pulled and keep pulling.

Sorry CCP, we ain't buying it. We are not Communist or an oppressive regime. We might have our problems, but no one gets jailed for pointing them out. I want all the NBA players to speak their mind. Unlike others, as much as Bogut was distasteful as a player to me, I never once thought he should apologize or suffer consequences for the idiocy he spoke.

Don't bend knee NBA, don't do it.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

As nice of a guy he is, that's just his opinion and to me it's total BS.

It is 100% anyone's right to say a country should be broken up. It's just speech. He can say it about Quebec. Morey can say it about Hong Kong. I can say it about New York. Everyone can get irritated. Everyone can respond.

Contrary to what he says, it is absolutely a matter of freedom of speech. He says it's about "crossing lines". How stupid. The whole point of free speech protection is to allow crossing lines. If you only say things people agree with, no protection is necessary, and a whole avenue of change disappears.

I totally understand his point that a big percentage of Americans do not understand sovereignty, but that has nothing to do with this. Saying something is not infringing on sovereignty. It is what it is: making a statement about an issue related to sovereignty.

Having said all that, it's a complex situation and people should stop acting like this is as simple as HK being "free". China is growing up and when you grow up fast there are gaps in learning. With communities, that gap is always related to how to distribute power. They have to go through this, whatever the outcome and no one understands it better than the people living there, and it's chaotic because it's not an easy question and there's a lot of frustration on both sides.

persian hoopa likes this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

Morey won't be fired and blacklisted so no other option then but China and their nazi policies and racism to go take a hike

clutchdabear and bacliff like this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I appreciate this guy's sincerity and passion. I empathize with his point. But two things:

1. Daryl Morey didn't call for Hong Kong to be separated from China. As far as I can tell he merely supported their right to their existing set of laws that mainland China is trying to revoke.
    2. Bro, you're not helping the cause of communism by showing us that your podcast studio is also your living room and your closet. Throw up a back drop or something!

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

No, but I did once had a friend coming over to visit and while we were walking inside a mall, she was trying to remember something she needs to buy and was saying something like "that that, what is that thing that I can't remember" which is very common oral speaking manner in China. And man did she get a lot of death stares from people walking around her before I realized it and told her to not use the word in public.

I've never had a Chinese person tell me that black people look like gorillas, but if they did I would tell them that's disrespectful and they shouldn't say it.

clutchdabear and malakas like this.
  7. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Weren't apologies already doled out and they just said it wasn't good enough?

I don't see the point in them groveling.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

As nice of a guy he is, that's just his opinion and to me it's total BS.

It is 100% anyone's right to say a country should be broken up. It's just speech. He can say it about Quebec. Morey can say it about Hong Kong. I can say it about New York. Everyone can get irritated. Everyone can respond.

Contrary to what he says, it is absolutely a matter of freedom of speech. He says it's about "crossing lines". How stupid. The whole point of free speech protection is to allow crossing lines. If you only say things people agree with, no protection is necessary, and a whole avenue of change disappears.

I totally understand his point that a big percentage of Americans do not understand sovereignty, but that has nothing to do with this. Saying something is not infringing on sovereignty. It is what it is: making a statement about an issue related to sovereignty.

Having said all that, it's a complex situation and people should stop acting like this is as simple as HK being "free". China is growing up and when you grow up fast there are gaps in learning. With communities, that gap is always related to how to distribute power. They have to go through this, whatever the outcome and no one understands it better than the people living there, and it's chaotic because it's not an easy question and there's a lot of frustration on both sides.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They think they can boss American people around like they do their simpleton citizens. They forgot this nation was built on rebels and not pacifist p*****s.

10. bacliff

bacliff Member

I am hoping so too but I know that Chicoms won't give in on this unless Morey fired. I think they may make some concessions if Morey grovels enough. I never was a fan of Silver before but am warming to him now.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Actually this is EXACTLY happening now.

Jackie Chan became a spokesman for the Chinese government since many years back and most of the people in Hong Kong hate him and his movies were having horrible box office there.

But you will never see him being arrested or even people attacking him publicly at Hong Kong.

clutchdabear, joshuaao and malakas like this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Where did @Os Trigonum mention "weed?" I must have missed it. The only thing he got wrong, and he was obviously joking, was implying that Montana is part of California. A large county, perhaps.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Right at this moment this whole affair has made headlines in all major american news site and many american congressmen and politicians across the political spectrum have publicly critisized it.

It's not a China only issue anymore. It has become an american political issue in the forefront and that's why Morey's job security is more safe than ever.
    It is more safe now than what it was before he posted that tweet.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Their fans will be mad when the best player in their league is Zhou Qi followed by Jeremy Lin

lol he’s still playing for Beijing right ?

15. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Saw in business new that now China is using Morey as part of the trade war negotiation.

China is telling Trump and NBA to stay out of China s internal affairs.

So not only did Morey get Nba banned, nowChina is ending this week meeting early in Washington

Hakeemtheking, joshuaao and malakas like this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

Thanx for the anecdote.
    There is evidence all around that the Chinese regularly call black people gorillas and monkeys and they even have a tooth paste called "he black person toothpaste" that shows a black man smiling.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Racism is a line that can't be crossed in our country. You can't chalk it up to freedom of speech or matter of opinion if you say one race is better than the other. Your employment in the NBA will be terminated. To the Chinese matters of sovereignty is their line. Our cultures are different because our histories are different. We've had a history of slavery, that's why racism is our line. They've had a history of outside invasion, that's why sovereignty is their line.

All seems pretty logical to me. That's not to take away from the fact that their government is clearly becoming increasingly oppressive under Xi. Just saying there are cultural reasons behind what's happening right now, not just "commie China evil!"

#38 CXbby, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    pahiyas and Eomor like this.
  18. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Yeah, saw this racist commercial where they turned black guy to white.

China is still in 1920South mode. Very racist

Nook and malakas like this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I find this funnier than anything i've seen in a long time. China finally figuring out they are dependent on American entertainment and the American economy. Wait till the 30% tariff starts.

clutchdabear and malakas like this.