1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 9, 2018.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Wonder what one of us would get if we walked into an off duty cops house and murdered them while they were eating ice cream?

10 years with the possibility of parole in 5 is an absolute joke.

J.R. and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. amaru

amaru Member

I said what I said. Deal with it.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think it's just emotional release after the verdict, capping off a fairly surreal year. If she were acquitted by the same logic, he'd probably still have that void and anger, and a completely justifiable civil suit would probably immediately be in the works. I don't think it's compassion or a sincere endorsement of her character so much as the maturity to move on and process closure, which is just as commendable.

Nook and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. likestohypeguy

Idk how much the rest of the family appreciates this gesture, going this far with it. I mean the hug and everything, judge hesitated, but when he pleaded how could she deny... that did a lot for Amber, the forgiveness wrecked her. She really felt forgiven in that moment. Might have been as much for himself too, framed it in a way he can live with the reality and go forward the best he can.

ETA a counterpoint to the above, from the YT comment section: "he stupid you just hugged your brothers killer" which is correct too

#784 likestohypeguy, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    T_Man likes this.
  5. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

If it was the other way around you think he’d get more than 10years?

amaru likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When this is the other way around, there aren't people to report it nationwide.

7. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

If it was a black cop that had no previous record of anything and genuinely seemed upset that this happened with no real motive for murder? Mohamed Noor did get 12.5 years for killing that Australian woman in Minnesota by accident. So yeah I guess 2.5 years extra?

8. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

25 percent tax apparently sad.

9. TheresTheDagger

One of the more amazing things I've ever seen. What a moment of humanity in this whole ugly thing.

God bless that man and his family.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Lots of cops are career criminals who get the benefit of police and union protection until they finally get caught in a lie by the man or on video which, after a long drawn out investigation, finallly results in charges. Much like our own Gerald Goines who is a serial liar and thief as well as a murderer who has very probably been violating the civil rights of people for a very long time. Then there's the clown of a police union president who threatened the public and the full of **** police chief who forced the DA to subpoena the police in order to get records on this case and keeps claiming his police can investigate themselves. So yes, the system works quite well for some career criminals.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That was hard to watch for all the right reasons.

#791 DonnyMost, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

Not going to lie, when I saw that I did a pretty hard eye roll. I'll never understand the black Christian infatuation with demonstrative gestures of public forgiveness. The woman you're hugging made a conscious decision to murder your brother, which is why your family is so broken up now. There are very few things that could make me consider "disowning" a child but this comes pretty damn close.

Rocket River likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think that is a bit harsh. I think this is his way of not wanting to living with anger and rage the rest of his life. People find ways to live on in different ways. Ya, I don't think she deserves the hug but the brother's feelings matter more than her feelings and if this is his way of moving on and living a non depressed life moving forward, I can't fault him for hat.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Being upset about someone else's peace is no way to live life.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It does feel like it's becoming a trope, like when the victims of the church shooting forgave the racist kid. But more power to them for choosing what to do with the attention they have.

I guess it's something history will judge.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  16. amaru

amaru Member

He's young so he likely has no idea why he's been taught to do this. That type of behavior, specifically going out of your way to forgive egregious offenses publically, is a direct result of the passivity taught to our people through Christianity during enslavement. You were taught to suppress natural human emotions because this made you less likely to pose a threat. These behaviors aren't incentivized because they provide you healing, they are incentivized because they make those around you feel comfortable.

17. amaru

amaru Member

Post # 796

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Post # 794

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This is a pretty bad take.

What he did was honorable and commendable. She make a horrible mistake. Forgiveness towards people who have committed a grave mistake is strength of character.

And this really has nothing to do with Christianity either. Letting go of anger/hatred is a universal virtue.

jiggyfly and JumpMan like this.
  20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Yep. To suggest this was all cynically motivated or purely performative is ugly beyond belief.

This was a victim impact statement/testimony. It was his only/best chance to really lay bare his feelings and find some serenity. It was also his last chance to interact with his tormentor for a very long time, perhaps ever.

He took the high road and we're all better for it. Good for him. That kid is going to go far in life.

Invisible Fan likes this.