1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The future of the EU and the UK, post-Brexit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 4, 2016.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It really should not be a shock to anyone, but according to today's comres poll, the people of the UK have altogether lost confidence in their Parliament.

Brits have completely lost confidence in country’s MPs

BRITISH people have no confidence in the country’s politicians as the Brexit crisis hits new depths, a stunning poll has revealed.

Almost eight in 10 believe Parliament is in desperate need of reform and 74 percent believe it is not fit for the 21st century. Seven in 10 think it fails to reflect the nation’s views and three-quarters believe that, internationally, it does not show Britain in a good light. A ComRes survey, carried out for the Sunday Express, found that almost six in 10 say it has not respected the 2016 referendum result – causing Brexiteers to blame the lack of trust in MPs on the failure to leave the EU.​

Talk about a vote of no confidence. Well, there it is.

ComRes’s Mr. Hawkins said: “It is no exaggeration to describe the public mood towards Parliament as being at crisis point. Views towards Parliament have grown progressively more negative since 2016, driven initially by Leave voters frustrated at what they feared were attempts by Remain-supporting MPs to frustrate the referendum result.

"However, Remain voters have now turned hostile, to the point where the vast majority feel that Parliament is not putting Britain in a good light internationally, that it is not representative of the nation’s views and is putting political point-scoring before the interests of the country.

"To say that Parliament is in desperate need of an overhaul is a gross understatement: just seven percent, or one in 14, British adults think that ‘Parliament works well and is fit for the 21st Century’.

"No other institution could survive being as unpopular with the public but, from John Bercow’s unapologetic defence of Parliament last week, there seems little scope of significant change during this parliament.”

Having a completely unaccountable Speaker of the House pursuing an agenda like a loose cannon has to be the final straw. Surely that is the blow that has shattered this Parliament's credibility altogether.

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The Liberal Democrats have voted to make the revocation of Article 50 the official policy of their party at their party conference today. This will put increased pressure on Labour to do the same, as many in that party are also wanting to come out into the open about their anti-Brexit and pro-EU sentiments.

Lib Dems vote to revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit as official policy

Liberal Democrat members have officially endorsed revoking Article 50 without a referendum if leader Jo Swinson wins power at the next general election.

In a major shift for the unashamedly pro-EU party, activists backed the inclusion of the new policy of cancelling Brexit altogether in the Lib Dems’ next manifesto for government.

The policy move comes as Sam Gyimah – a former Conservative leadership contender – defected to the Lib Dems at the party’s conference opening rally in Bournemouth on Saturday evening, in a major coup for the new leader.​

And how is it that a former Tory leadership contender can possibly become a member of the Lib Dems?

What?

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

According to the UK Guardian, Boris Johnson is going to tell Jean Claude Junker that he will not even discuss an extension beyond October 31, when they meet tomorrow in Brussels.

Johnson to tell Juncker: ‘I won’t discuss Brexit extension beyond 31 October’

The prime minister is expected to tell the commission president: “We’re leaving on 31 October, come what may – so let’s work hard to get a deal in the time remaining. Some MPs have been peddling a myth that I am not serious about getting a deal. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am striving for a deal and I think we can achieve this. I will commit UK officials and my lead negotiator to work flat out to come up with a new agreement without being trapped into EU laws.”

He is expected to add: “There should be no doubt about my determination to take us out on 31 October. I will not ask for an extension. I absolutely believe that our friends in Europe want an orderly exit, so now is the time for serious talks.”

A No 10 source said there was no chance of the prime minister going cap in hand to the EU summit in mid- October. “The PM will not negotiate a delay at the Brussels council,” the source said, before suggesting there could be legal challenges.​

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I like watching you carry on a conversation with yourself, keep up the good work.

biff17, Nook, dmoneybangbang and 2 others like this.
  5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

to have enough time pass for another referendum (an EU specialty) or get the deal where the UK has no vote but is a perpetual rule taker and payer. It's win-win. The only loss for the EU is if you get a clean break and an FTA.

6. malakas

malakas Member

we reached the point where Luxembourg one of the smallest countries in the world publicly humiliated the UK.

Boris Johnson got scared by a few anti Brexit British protesters and at the last minute fled the public statement and the Luxemburgian PM just went on and on embarassing him.

That just one day after Johnson said he was like the incredible Hulk.

#1866 malakas, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Why would Boris Johnson want to hold a press conference with regards to Brexit with the president of Luxembourg? What good would that do?

8. malakas

malakas Member

Because he had talks with him and he had agreed to it.
    But then he got scared by a few people shouting and left at the last minute.

Nook and dmoneybangbang like this.
  9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

He agreed to what? A new deal? No, he didn't.

When he does, a press conference might be in order. Maybe.

10. malakas

malakas Member

He agreed to a press conference and he was scheduled to give it before he got scared and fled.

The Lib Dems are closer politically to the normal Tories than Labour.

The Normal Tories aka the party that for 300 years stood for business before they turned into a party where their leader publicly says "**** business" and turns into right wingers who want to bulldoze parliament (actual statement by Steve Baker the head of 1922 Comittee).

And that's why the Northern Midlands that voted Leave and that Johnson is desperately trying to campaign at, have no chance to vote for Tories but they can vote for the Brexit Party.

Tories and Labour are black and white not so much politically as culturally.

11. dmoneybangbang

Agreed to speak and then he made a Brexit in his pants....

How can anyone intelligent person have any confidence in Johnson?

No Worries and malakas like this.
  12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The Government 'will comply with the law'

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has said the Government will "behave lawfully" regarding Brexit. Speaking on the Today programme, he said: "The UK Government is always going to behave lawfully. I think the suggestion otherwise is nonsense. We, of course, take these considerations very seriously. At the same time, the legislation that was required, the surrender bill, is deeply, deeply flawed."

The Foreign Secretary added: "But the Government will comply with the law. It goes without saying, frankly."

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Johnson vows to ‘obey’ law, but still make Brexit happen in October

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson promised Monday to "obey the law" and still take the U.K. out of the EU on October 31 as scheduled, insisting there's still a chance of reaching a deal with Brussels.

In an interview with the BBC Monday, Johnson was asked multiple times how he plans to execute Brexit at the end of October without breaking the law, if there is no deal. Johnson has been warned he could be jailed if he refuses to delay Brexit. "I will uphold the constitution, I will obey the law, but we will come out on 31 October," Johnson said in response.

When asked again whether he was "looking for a way around the law" to make sure the U.K. leaves the EU even if there's no deal, Johnson responded: "Well, you know those are your words. What we're going to do is come out on 31 October deal or no deal. And staying in beyond 31 October [is] completely ... crackers."

14. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly what is a “vow” from Boris Johnson worth? Is it worth more of less than a Venezuelan Bolivar?

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It has to be worth more than Obama's vow that 'if you like your healthcare, you can keep your heathcare'. It certainly cannot be worth less.

16. Nook

Nook Member

No I don’t think so. Obama actually accomplished something. Boris Johnson has thus far been a complete and undisputed failure to a degree never seen by anyone with his title.

The Bolivar is toast so I guess it is a tie between “Batty Boris” and the Venezuelan currency that is used as toilet paper in Venezuela.

malakas likes this.
  17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Please refresh my memory. What does the legacy of Barack Obama currently consist of? Not much, that is for certain.

Of course what is possibly the biggest obvious difference between Obama and Johnson is that Johnson is just getting started, while Obama is finished.

18. Nook

Nook Member

The biggest difference between Obama and Boris is that Obama isn’t a national disgrace and most ineffective leader in his nations history.

Johnson has been an unquestionable failure, to a degree that not even his severest critics could have imagined. It has gone from comical to actually painful to witness.

dmoneybangbang and malakas like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is awesome.

Let's bring in Obama as a failure while Britain takes a public **** with a stiff upper lip.

Grade A distraction from the orange menace.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I don't think anyone knows what Boris is going to do, i suspect he's going to avoid asking for an extension and dare parliament, but this is definitely being played close to his chest, he's not projecting anything.

Part of me wants the supreme court to rule against prorogation, as it might give the impetus to abolish it in the next parliament. The supreme court makes no sense in the uk, its purpose in the US is because the executive and legislature are separate branches so it needs that authority if those two clash, and furthermore, internal affairs of the legislature should never be under court scrutiny, not ever.

Merkel however seems to be afraid of the UK becoming the Singapore of Europe, which Boris wants, but May didn't, and if that happened, the EU would be screwed.