1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This team has a FUTURE and will have a CHIP on its shoulder.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr.Scarface, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

What that future is, is the question.

Everyone is trashing the the Texans. Nationally, locally. Laughing. They fail to remember this team made the playoffs last season with the WORST (ok...2nd worst) Oline in the league. Watson is healthy and will have his best Protection he has had. This will be, by far, the best WR corp he has had. The TEs are the best the team has had since Owen Daniels. It sucks to lose Lamar Miller, but the passing game will open up the run by committee. The number of weapons with Hopkins, Fuller, Stills, Coutee, and Carter will make the Texans receiving corp the best in the league. On D, Losing Clowney will hurt......but Mercilus will produced more sacks for himself. JJ is JJ. The MLBs of McKinney, Cunningham and Cole are among the best in the league. Yes, the CBs are an unknown...but Justin Reid and Gipson will be fine on the back end.

All this noise could be the X factor for the Texans. It can bring them together.......to be something different.

Future Draft picks don't matter.....Cap Space is actually more important in the long run.

All the noise doesn't matter.

The 53 men and the Coaching Staff is all that matters now.

The Results on the field will tell the tale. You may get the new coach you want or Bill O'Brien was redefines himself as something we all wanted him to be.

At least, It will not be BORING.

I think there will be ALOT of CROW being eaten...by a lot of people.

:eek:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:rolleyes::)

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

So are we superbowl ready? How far do you think we will go? Idk how u can have so much faith in this sht coach, but remember not to make any excuses to defend him after the results come out.
    This is literally BoB's team, there's really no one else to blame if it goes South. Any team weakness we have, it's because BoB didn't address it well enough.

It will b nice if we go far, but BoB has shown repeatedly during his 5 year tenure is that he sucks when u really need him to coach.

3. raining threes

I'm just curious if the Texans had added 4 pro bowl players in this trade would you still think that they had no chance of winning with BOB as HC?

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I will happily eat crow. Bring it on.

5. vince

vince Member

I like your optimism. These moves should make them playoffs bound.

But the team has no room for error. Because there is no reinforcements coming in two years, via the most effective and efficient way to turn teams around, that is the NFL draft.

red5rocket likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear it now........
    the crowd roars.

Are Watson and Watt working their magic on both ends of the field?

or

Are they yelling in disgust over bonehead play calls and total breakdowns on both ends of the field?

Cheers to the glass half full approach!!
    Game 1 is right around the corner. Time to break the Monday Night Special tradition and give them all something to talk about.

Wouldn't it be great to breathe in that sweet smell of victory as we defeat the odds week after week, on a really tough schedule? Miracles make great stories don't they? Here's to wishful hoping!

Let's do this!

7. vince

vince Member

I wonder what the heck happened for the Texans brass to appear to despise Clowney so much? Could it be a Robert Horry / Calvin Murphy feud (which Rudy T shipped him out of town)...

Trade doesn’t make sense to me. But I’m just a fan who reads stat scores and watches the games.

But these bold moves must pan out well. They have to. If the Texans can win for the next 3 seasons then it’s all good. But if they don’t, the Texans will be cellar dwellers for a long long time. If they manage to win or make it to a Super Bowl, then it was worth the price.

deb4rockets likes this.
  8. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

That's where I stopped reading and taking you seriously.

You're not the only one with this misguided belief, others have also echoed this flawed sentiment on this board.

If you think draft picks don't matter in the NFL and it's all about cap space, then you have a very poor understand of the fundamentals of NFL roster building.

In the era of a hard salary cap, rookie scale contracts, and franchise tags -- the draft is the only surefire way to build a championship caliber team.

All of the recent Super Bowl participants such as the Rams, Eagles, Falcons, Broncos, Panthers, and Seahawks -- were all built primarily through the draft.

If you think that doesn't apply to the Texans, then I don't know what to tell you. Keep hoping for Bill O'Brien to turn into Bill Belichick and I'll just leave you alone with your delusion.

SC1211, Silent_Bob and Nook like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Idk why u asking a hypothetical thats way too far fetched too ask. Where are these four magically 4 pro bowl player coming from? Currently BoB has shown hes either too incompetent, desperate, hotheaded or even petty as a gm to get even one pro bowler to stay with us, much less 4. I dont trust the man as Gm, especially after that clowney trade.

Plus lets say we do pull 4 pro bowlers out of our ass, i still think we have no chance of winning it all. BoB has shown repeatedly that he sucks at time management and adjusting in big games. The man does well to get into playoffs, could b our weak division or could b existing talent or maybe even his leadership. He just sucks too much in big games.

I do hope we win it all, i just dont see it with this petty ass coach. Who pays a contending team extra money to take their pro bowler after getting raped in trade, a petty one thats who.

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

It’s been said a lot but last year they played the dregs of the league QBs and still had a pitiful pass defense. This year it’s the opposite and JJo is a year older and the secondary is still as suspect.

Your top run defense just lost the biggest reason for it’s success for little to nothing.

On offense Tunsil had better be a miracle worker because you’ve lost Lamar Miller and the WRs are still injury prone. See Coutee.

Way too many question marks and what ifs for a team that just went all in with draft capital.

11. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

BoB is clearly sacrificing their future for a chance to keep his job one more year

vince likes this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Patriots don't build thru 1st picks for the most part......go look at their rosters of the recent past. Seattle's best player is a 3rd round pick. Texans gave up 3 picks. They still have a bunch of picks. 2020: Still have the 2nd and 3- 3 round picks.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

I look at it like this. The future is now. We have Watson, JJ, and Hopkins in their prime. The Texans wanted to go all in while we still have this core in place. If Tunsil can stabilize the offensive line, then our biggest weakness has been addressed.

Sure, we may not have enough. But, the Texans had to make a decision. Do they go all in and go for a championship. Do they blow it up and rebuild. Or do they stand pat and be a middle of the pack team. They decided to go for it all. It may not be enough, but I am happy that Watson, JJ, and Hopkins will have an outside chance to go for a championship.

At this point the moves have been made. So, I'm going to root for the team and hope for the best. Just like I root for all Houston teams.

14. Major

Major Member

if that were the thinking, you'd pay the elite run-stopping defensive end. Instead, they traded him for some scrubs and a future 3rd round pick. How does that scream "win it all now"? That trade was not required to facilitate the Tunsil trade in any way.

They basically make a bunch of panic moves with no clear purpose or direction. One was a win-now move. One was a petty, ego-driven move that doesn't help win now at all.

I do love OP's meandering post, though. Basically - they are bold, they have a chip on their shoulder, they got better in every way, draft picks don't matter, this is awesome. Oh, but if they fail, I said it may or may not work so I'm being neutral. And of course, I'm not a defender of everything the franchise does, even though I do it universally.

15. Major

Major Member

BTW, the Patriots championships have had lots of key 1st round picks. Over the last 25 years, they've drafted 13 pro-bowlers in the 1st round out of 27 picks. Many others have been key parts of championship teams. Last year's 1st round pick, Sony Michel, was a key to their Superbowl run and had 330+ rushing yards and 6 TDs in just 3 postseason games. Terrel Davis is the only player EVER to score more rushing TDs in one postseason.

I'd say the first round of the draft has been pretty important to the Patriots.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They are in win now.

But they essentially gave away clowney for nothing.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

A player trying to earn a new contract would have been perfect for a win now team. But...

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

I agree with you about Clowney. I really don't understand that situation at all. I wanted to keep Clowney. I don't know what Clowney was asking for, and I don't know what the Texans were offering. Maybe BoB and Clowney were both being stubborn, but it worked out poorly for the Texans. I'm disappointed.

macho GRANDE, raining threes and Nook like this.
  19. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Not really sure why the team would have a chip on it's shoulder for criticism of mismanagement performed by the coach and front office.

red5rocket, Major and Nook like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Mr.Scarface must get paid by the Texans.

The Astros are terrible chokers but Cal, BOB and the boys are ready to dominate.

Yeah who cares about those #1’s or #2... clearly draft picks in those range don’t mean anything.

Keep eating those mushrooms brotha.