1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Excuses the White Working Class From the Politics of Personal Responsibility

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Dei

Dei Member

Not all of them do and, like I said earlier which you conveniently ignored, wealth creators are given incentives to keep their businesses afloat in times of financial difficulty, so maybe next time you can make a more educated statement than simply lashing out that billionaires pay less taxes that you think they ought to.

2. dmoneybangbang

It was literally 8 years ago the GOP was pushing the personal responsibility, takers vs producers mantra... And then here comes Trump with a wave of populism. Very amusing.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I can answer both you and Coheto at the same time yes the labor force is affected by supply and demand but this is again where your argument is contradictory.
    This is the key point tariffs and barriers to immigration are artificial restrictions on the free flow of resources and where the law of supply and demand comes into play. Just restricting immigration and outsourcing very well might lead to more US jobs the problem is that it will be an artificial drive that will end up inflating wages.

While on the surface that might seem like a good thing the problem is that US labor isn't competitive costwise because the US cost of living is higher than the PRC, Mexico, Indonesia, etc... Just artificially restricting the labor supply just increases US costs and inflation which in the long run is possibly much worse for the economy.
    Initially foreign made products were just cheaper. Japanese cars were poor quality wise but at the same time the US automakers failed to innovate while the Japanese did. Japanese cars eventually caught up and surpassed the US in terms of quality and by then the US were in a deep hole once it wasn't just about price but also about quality. Protectionism gives no incentive to innovate and improve quality since why bother when there is little competition to drive it. That is what happened to US manufacturers in the 1970's and 1980's they grew fat in the post war World when the rest of the world was devestated from WWII but once they had to compete they weren't in a position to do so on cost or quality.

Anyway as someone who deals with US manufacturer in regard to the buidling trades US manufacturing is already strong and innovative and there is a shortage of skilled manufacturing even in the face of foreign competition. The problem with Trump's argument is that he's talking about unskilled labor. Just putting a single bolt in on an assembly line is the type of job that doesn't require much education or skill. Protectionism does little for those as in the long run all it will do is increase cost in the short run with eventually those being replaced by automation.

superfob likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we can go by Trump's appointments I'm not sure his Administration might be as populists as many think. He's stocking them with supply side conservatives and just today nominated a Goldman Sachs partner who made a killing on the banking crisis.

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

"Wealth creators" lol How much they give you? I got jack **** from them. I want them to pay their taxes instead of taking my tax dollars. That or go for a romantic walk with me out in the desert. :*

"Hey, where'd that wealth creator go?"
    "Damn, idk, he grabbed my p***y out in the desert and then he must have got lost out there somewhere."

French Revolution baby.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Just in case people forgot about what "real taxpayer" Mitt Romney said:
    There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That's an entitlement. The government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. And I mean the president starts off with 48, 49... he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. So he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. ... My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5–10% in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion, whether they like the guy or not.
    Hillbilly Ellegy is making rounds among (traditional) Conservative blogs and liberal literati as a sobering picture of the Noble Midwestern White Worker striving to make it day to day. Vance is taking the Romney route, "admit your failures, work harder, and lift yourself up." As the OP mentions,Trump's message is the opposite "Government will give you something to work hard through FDR era "works", pre-FDR era Tariffs, and more government induced protectionism that you can imagine." This "wall" is more figurative than you think, and who "the wall" for is for you-know-who.

Earlier this year, the media was ringing alarm bells of this frightening Heroin epidemic ripping apart our Heartland. Be compassionate we're told. That we're told to be compassionate to drug addicts sounds a bit different than the culture wars of the 80s, where drug users were spared no quarter.

It looks like a crock of **** just judging by the people Trump is appointing...traditional Bush era Conservatives (maybe not Haley or Bannon for different reasons) who primarily set the stage for utter financial boom and collapse while managing to harbor intense distrust for the government through incompetence and blatant corruption.

Of course his voters weren't stupid with the prospect. It's a Pascal's Wager of sorts. "I hate Washington, but even if I'm screwed financially (I'm used to it), at least he's speaking my language, and I at least retain some elevated privilege...like when the country was Great."

If all this was as binary as Trump voters being poor, corn-fed, working whites (when most are really not), the story would be much simpler and much more sympathetic.

#46 Invisible Fan, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    JeffB likes this.
  7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

lol Still waiting to be trickled down upon.
    Ideology over 40 years of history I know this was before you were born, but do a bit of research.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Mnuchin was not at Goldman Sachs during the thick of the mortgage crisis. Besides, Bannon too is a former Goldman Sachs employee but is still somewhat of an "outsider".

9. Dei

Dei Member

Germany and Switzerland are industrial powerhouses and they're first world countries; and, surprise, surprise, they have lower corporate tax rates. There are other advantages to setting up in America - location, the American work culture, infrastructure, patents, security, courts, a relatively well educated workforce etc. There's also the moral aspect to it that many of these countries abuse their workers with inhumane hours and child labor.

But I'm really concerned with what you're referring to with "artificially restricting the labor supply". The country's labor supply is its citizens and that's it. The US government should be working towards the interests of its citizens which includes employment and a good salary, not migrants. If anything, not controlling migrant flow is artificially inflating the labor supply.

We had this discussion before, I remember, and I believe you said something like every person in the world should have equal access to opportunities in the US. It's just a simply inverted concept of what a nation is. You're ****ing r****ded.

Yeah, but those Japanese cars were made by Japanese companies. To some degree, they pirated Western technologies. You want that to happen? China's doing the same on an even bigger scale.

You're making a strawman with protectionism. Foremost, the American auto industry were just plainly outcompeted. People back then were actually complaining that they couldn't compete with Japanese workers who worked well beyond 8 hours a day. The Japanese auto industry actually instituted protectionist policies by limiting the number of car imports.

Second, de-industrialization of the West can hardly be pegged on "protectionist" policies alone. High regulation, mostly stemming from misguided intentions from environmentalists, high cost of social services i.e. taxes, supplanting cheap energy with high cost renewables etc. all contributed. Heck, you can invert the argument - it's the incredibly low trade tariffs to countries with bad worker treatment that's killed off American manufacturing.

The people from Carrier weren't going to be replaced by robots. Lots of the jobs going abroad are still going to be done by hand. Nothing's been said about limited skilled migrants.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Poor white people don't have the education and crime problems poor blacks.

Thats failure in this article

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Poor white people are always more like the people on The View or Oprah Winfrey than they are like the people they live amongst on the street. It makes them look bad. I don't know if that's because of their own insecurities or how their lives would be better if they were more like the folks who aren't white. However, they have been trying to be a better white person, to not be like them, for a while now.

Of course, I don't think there's anything wrong with striving for greatness (and the white ones have done amazing things in their own ways). It can be a good thing when you're striving for the upper class or the white collar job you've always dreamed of. But it's also important to remember that striving doesn't automatically get you the "right" to have the most "right" things. So when you start looking only for things as being inherently "good" for you, you're missing a lot of things that might be good for you.

When people talk about the "white privilege" they face unwarranted scrutiny -- regardless they power through and overcome what sets many back to square one.

Nook likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

genetic predisposition?

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Did i say that?

So is that why you bury your head about broken homes to not imply you might be thinking its genetics?

If thought me as a black had a predisposition i would just tell you

You asked me before. Dont have a reason to lie about my true thoughts on a message board

15. fchowd0311

Because you never explain why. You just stop with your conclusion that it's "culture" and never go beyond that. Signs of concern trolling with no genuine desire for a genuine solution.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because it gets taught. Ive said that.

Instead of having this stupid argument the umpteenth time do you disagree poor blacks have education and crime problems poor whites dont have?

17. fchowd0311

How did it start? Why does it get "taught" in "black culture" and not in "white culture"?

Genetic predisposition?

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Both parties fit that.

19. fchowd0311

One party have prominent politicians who have a genuine desire to fight that with there desire to eliminate corporate PAC influence and overturn Citizens United. One party overwhelmingly supports the systemic lobbying and campaign bribing that allows for clutch discs that cost 32 dollars to be manufactured to be sold to the DOD at 1500 dollars per unit in bulk. One party overwhelmingly supports decisions such as Citizens United.

20. Buck Turgidson

Totally wrong, unless you're discounting the meth/opioid epidemic and all the associated crime and societal problems.