1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Harden on All-Decade Team 1st Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Aug 5, 2019.

1. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Show me metrics defensively

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Just what basketball reference has....

Peak defensive win share season for Kobe is 4.3 vs 4.2 for Harden.

Peak defensive box +/- for Kobe 1.7 vs 1.5 for Harden.

Career defensive box +/- for Kobe is -0.6 vs 0.3 for Harden.

Kobe had 14/20 seasons in the - for defensive box +/- vs 4/10 so far for Harden.

D-rock and Denovo like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

that team has no center. would lose in the finals.

4. TilmanFinancialWindfall

damn, you win! Morey would be proud of you.

FOLKS, Metrics show that Harden is a better defensive player than KOBE. Kobe like the steak is only good by reputation. Ever had Kobe steak? Not worth the price, just like Kobe

5. HP3

HP3 Member

Dude, its the Warriors? Do you think Klay, Dray, and Curry suddenly forgot they were a 73 win team without Durant? Like Im not saying they are better without Durant(no waaaaay) but as far as game planning is concerned that was clearly not in our favor. You want more time to game plan against them, Toronto having more time was defiantly better for them. I havent even mentioned that Klay AND Looney were hurt as well.

Yea its technically correct. I think they point Im making is that Kawhi during his championship runs has had a stronger supporting cast than Harden. I think significantly so.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sure

Similar defensive ratings in both regular season and playoffs

Better defensive +/- in both regular season and playoffs

Similar steal and block %s in both regular season and playoffs

When you consider how much better Harden is offensively, its a bit of a laughable comparison actually.

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  7. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Damn it!@ You nerds win again! Morey is proud

I'm shocked Harden is better than Kobe in the playoff. I guess Kobe with all the great players he play with cover us all his deficiency while Harden has to carry the entire load.

You nerd win again

Harden is better than KOBE! No one can prove otherwise

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don’t think I would argue that Harden is a better defender than Kobe. Kobe had slightly higher peak metrics and I’m not really as sold on defensive metrics in the same way I am with some of the offensive numbers.

I would argue Kobe was highly overrated defensively.

You just asked for defensive metrics. I gave you a few off basketball reference.

D-rock, Gray_Jay and justtxyank like this.
  9. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Well, like you are alluding to, defensive stats like the Drtg posted on Bball-Ref and DWS, DBPM are stats that should not EVER be used to say a player is better or more impactful than another on defense. Firstly, all are box score derived, and the box score is very deficient when it comes to defensive stats. Second, one like Drtg is just ranking how good you are per minute at those box score defensive stats, defensive boards, steals and blocks, and then based on your team defensive rating, you get a lower/better number the better you are at those. It is a bad stat, but because there’s an Ortg stat, Oliver kinda just had to do a Drtg one, but he readily admits the stat is faulty, so it makes me sad when people reading those stats put more power into them than the developers do.

HP3 and justtxyank like this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Kobe was overrated on defense and got by on reputation for years, but he was definitely a high effort defender at times and didn't have the same off ball stuff that Harden does.

Defensive metrics are very sketchy.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You aren't very bright are you?

D-rock likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Him and Curry are the only ones that played their entire prime on one team.

13. TilmanFinancialWindfall

I was called "slow" by many Clutchfans.com poster and I'm from Texas. So to answer your question, sir, I am slow but I don't take kindly to da.

I prefer to be called Dwight Howard like.

14. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

Right? Like he had one good year at the end of the decade. Dwight would be a better choice, or even bosh

D-rock likes this.
  15. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

LMAO what even is this thread?
    [​IMG]
    nuff said!

smp and PlayBall like this.
  16. BigBum

BigBum Member

I always think Harden is the best player in the nba.

Owners spent more money for other guys. Dan Gilbert spent 179 million luxury tax in 4years. GS owners spent 52 million dollars luxury tax last year alone.

17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I was surprised when I looked at the numbers, but for 2010-19, if you had to have a big to replace Leonard, you could do a lot worse than LaMarcus Aldridge. 6th in points with 15,213; 5th in boards with 6,473, 7th in WS 87.9. 5 time all-NBA, albeit 2nd and 3rd team.

HP3 likes this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Kawhi is overrated. Im telling you, like yea he's a top 10 player. He is a highly efficient scorer, but he'll never have the impact on offense that Harden, Lebron, and Curry do.

And his defense has been overrated for quite some time now, he hasnt been that dude on defense for a maybe 3 years now.

Hmc415 and Gray_Jay like this.
  19. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I'll take your word for it, recent title or not. I was just pointing out, like the others, that he really hasn't been in the league long enough to get that kind of accolade, whereas Aldridge has.

Really though, I'll take the Bron, Durant, Harden, Paul, Curry superteam against any of them. Make Bron play center. It is funny that 3 of the top 6 on that ranked by WS list (Westbrook being number 6) played together in OKC, and didn't win a thing.

Basketball is a funny sport.

HP3 likes this.
  20. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Right? Some of these guys need to venture outside the Rockets echo chamber occasionally.