1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happened to Evan Gattis?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Aug 5, 2019.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Loved this dude, but seems like he didn't catch on anywhere. I'd say he's better than a lot of current active MLB players, I wonder what went on behind the scenes and why he doesn't have a job

2. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

A very large man with a large heart. Great Astro for the short time he was here. I’d bet he is just fine with where he is in life, baseball or no baseball. He fought a lot of demons and pulled out of downward spiral at one point, hopefully he’s taken care of his finances, can retire and do what he likes, modestly.

The Beard and UTSA2step like this.
  3. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

So many teams are tanking. I don’t know if there’s a real place for Gattis.

He’s very limited defensively and doesn’t hit well enough to contribute on a contender.

He’s too old to be on team that’s rebuilding.

Personally, I think he would fit in just fine as a backup catcher somewhere on a cheap deal.

4. AstrosRockets1818

Hit a homer in Game 7 of the ALCS. Greater postseason accomplishment than anything Bagwell or Biggio did:

5. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Dude, the replica Bagwell and Biggio rings are a joke! Are we celebrating losing now? They got to the World Series once and got swept. Those guys are lucky they played before social media was around. They would’ve been lambasted to no end.

6. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Guys volunteering for the ignore list in this thread.

Some guys don't like to ignore, I find that it really streamlines my Clutchfans experience by cutting out the needless filler.

As for Gattis, great story, but he's an older, pure DH that isn't all that good at hitting.

The Beard, seeingredtx, Nook and 3 others like this.
  8. astros123

astros123 Member

This brings back memories of 2005 world series game 2 when Vizcaino tied the game in the 9th. Oh man were those tough times as a fan to take those looses.

9. AstrosRockets1818

Will you put me on your ignore list?? Please let me know about what time you will do this.

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

We could bring him up in September since all we have is Stubbs as a 3rd catcher... not sure how much they want that service clock ticking for Stubbs...

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Deep seated wish: he’s taking a year off to let his body heal so he can catch again, and has a handshake agreement to come back to the Astros next season to be the backup catcher.

More likely, he’s made more than a career’s worth of money, doesn’t have a tremendous drive to keep playing, and no teams made him a good offer, so he’s done.

He’s one of my all-time favorite mediocre players. Loved watching him bat and he seems like a really cool dude.

The Beard likes this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

When he came to the plate there was a chance. And that was pretty good for a DH or backup catcher. I took it. He's a good pinch hitter for that reason.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Sucks he hasn't been able to pick up with anyone. He deserves a shot.

RKREBORN and whiskeyred like this.
  14. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I used to work across the street from Minute Maid. Was going to lunch with a colleague on a Saturday two seasons ago, he had his kid with him and they wanted to go see if they could get any autographs as the players arrived. We hung around outside the fence where the players show up for about 20 minutes, saw most of them walk in. Only two players stopped to sign autographs. Altuve and Even Gattis. Gattis pulled up in a beat up old pickup up truck, which was pretty funny. Altuve, by the way, signed an autograph for each kid that was standing along the fence. This was during his MVP season. Probably about 30 or 40 kids. Really class acts, both guys. Wish Evan all the best.

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Tyler White ate him.

payaso and AstrosRockets1818 like this.
  16. SuraGotMadHops

My goodness that game. It was a night game and I had an organic chemistry exam that started at 7pm. I had to go to the exam right as extra innings began. Clearly I didn't study all day and I couldn't concentrate at all. I was taking that exam knowing that at that moment, the Astros could be going to their first ever World Series. I came out the test and immediately went to a computer (no smart phones then) to check the score, only to see Edmonds walked it off. I got an F on the test.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Tomstro and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I would’ve gotten an F too.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I take it that you never watched Jeff Bagwell play the first 12-13 seasons of his career? He was an absolute monster.

He had three seasons with an OB% of over .450.......

He hit .369 one season.

20. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Someone on Reddit ran into him a couple of weeks ago. Apparently still living in Houston and still a big Stros fan.