1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 Months to wander the country... where would you go?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VooDooPope, Jul 29, 2019.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

on the way back you could hit provo, utah and belle isle, louisianna.

and before you embark on a long trip you should always service your vehicles Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads and add about ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

VooDooPope likes this.
  2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Why the hell you need ball bearings for?

jo mama likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tops on the list: the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. don't laugh, it's awesome.

Close second: northern Maine. If you like remote.

Then, places to see. Moab UT . . . the sandhills of Nebraska . . . and the Black Hills of South Dakota.

VooDooPope likes this.
  4. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I'd travel around the heartland. I have already done a big, clockwise circle around the whole US, but missed out on most of the middle states like Oklahoma, Colorado, etc. I'd like to explore those, particularly the national parks.

VooDooPope likes this.
  5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Every time I go to Colorado I’m amazed at the state and wonder why I would go anywhere else but I want to see all these other places as well.

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

It would never be a bad idea to travel through Colorado again, but it is a great big wide-open country with lots to see. I wish I had 2 months to walkabout. Maybe you should head out without much of a plan and go where the wind blows you.

tinman likes this.
  7. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Banff/Jasper is going to be super crowded this month. Wait until September if you are headed up there. So much to do in BC. Consider the San Juan Islands too. Also busy on the the big ones, but not the smaller ones. North Cascades Natl Park is massive and hardly ever crowded. So many beautiful spots. Cell phone reception will probably be a problem. Plenty of small towns up here in NW Washington to make your base in. Kayak, world class mountain biking, golf, fish etc

VooDooPope likes this.
  8. body slam

body slam Member

whats the budget of a trip like this?

VooDooPope likes this.
  9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

That’s exactly my plan. Just like I did on the way back from the keys recently. Where ever I wanted to go with no plan or agenda. I only know the day I’m leaving, and the day i’m returning.

It’s the Bob Ross school of travel..,. There are no wrong turns, only happy detors.

I love Colorado and Im sure this trip won’t be complete until I at least pass through and enjoy it a little bit. I’ve heard amazing things about Ouray in the SW corner of the state and I haven’t seen that part Colorado.

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

My total overhead living in my van right now is <$1500 a month but I’m sure gas is going to be my biggest expense on the road. I don’t mind driving so I COULD easily average 300 miles a day but at that point i’m for about a tank a day at $50 a day which adds up fast... and I want to go slowly, staying off interestates and enjoy the trip and stay in some cool places longer to really get a feel for it. It’s about the journey, not the destination.

11. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

As a Tulane grad, I had the best time of my life roaming the streets of New Orleans. There is nothing like it in the USA.

12. body slam

body slam Member

I understand its about the journey, but what do you plan on doing once you get some where? While you're in between destination whats you plans for sleep? Just pull off on the side of the road, stop in a Wal-Mart parking lot? Living in a van how often do you plan on bathing? Whats the plan for food?

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

There is no between destinations. the journey is the destination.

Out west there is a ton of BLM and national forest service land you can stay for free on. Last year I just wandered around Colorado and stayed where ever. Out of a 9 day trip I only stayed at 1 walmart and that was on the drive up while still in Texas. I have a full size bed always made and if its not too hot I can sleep anywhere.

When I get where ever I plan to do what ever. Hot springs, hang out by the river, streams, lakes, beach, down hill mountain bike, hike, yoga, meditate, read, think or just be.

I already live in my van. I have a stove, sink, toilet (mostly used for emergencies), and a rinse kit I can use for a warm shower inside or out. I have a 12 v fridge freezer so I keep fresh food with me. I the ability to carry 18 gallons of fresh water and 200 ah of lithium batteries and multiple charging options including solar so I can in theory stay off the grid for as long as my food and water last.

body slam likes this.
  14. body slam

body slam Member

have fun and good luck

VooDooPope likes this.
  15. Exiled

Exiled Member

About two weeks ago, some really inspiring wonderful kids cycling all the way from UT Austin, donated 10k for our hospital when they stopped by.

[Texas 4000]

their insane 4000+ miles journey must be very interesting

https://www.texas4000.org/route/rockies/

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Wow. what a ride. Looks like they're on day 66 of 70 and have ridden 4800+ miles. :eek::eek::eek:

Exiled likes this.
  17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

B-Bob and VooDooPope like this.
  18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

But, did you died?

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

99ers helping 99ers
    it's what it's all about

speaking of randomness, I was in Gilroy and El Paso this month :(

VooDooPope likes this.
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Given the time and money, I'd go west. My dad and his girlfriend left 2 weeks ago. Drove to Santa Fe, Grand Canyon, 2 nights in Flagstaff, 2 nights in Vegas, out to the PCH and headed north. From there they made some stops in NoCal and Oregon before boarding a cruise in Seattle to Alaska. They get back from that in the next couple of days. From there, they'll go east and hit Mt. Rushmore before heading back to Houston. Going to be near a month total by the time they get home. It's a trip I'd love to make...though I'd probably have a hard time leaving the PNW again. I love Washington.