1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Real Sad Story of Baltimore

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jul 31, 2019.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Population density isnt the issue

Broken homes

Show me a rural Baltimore, detroit, Ferguson, new orleans, etc etc etc

Did Pittsburgh ever have these cities's problems?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You asked me if poor rural areas have crime problems. The answer is yes. It's now higher than the national average. Population density is absolutely a factor in crime rates. Don't be silly.

I can't show you a rural big city because that would be an oxymoron.

However, in terms of crime rates, Gadsen, AL has a worse crime rate than Baltimore per 1000 people and is a small town. Bessemer, AL is the most dangerous city in America in terms of violent crime rates and is small town.

What do they have in common? Industry leaving in the 1980s.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bessemer is about the blackest town in America. 72%

Thanks for proving my point

You wanna dig into those crime demographics?

4. justtxyank

And the other Alabama city is 60+% white. I purposely gave you a white and a black Alabama town.

But who is disputing black crime rates? i agreed and offered you a different reason.

Nook and jcf like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Population density is definitely the issue. There are plenty of rural regions that have just as worse or even worse poverty and drug statistics. Violent crimes are less prevelant because that is something that requires some form of human interaction. Urban centers have significantly higher probabilities have having some form of human interaction, positive or negative.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Living close to my neighbor doesn't make me rob him

Stop with the excuses

7. fchowd0311

White neighborhoods don't have 400 years of slavery, Jim Crow and Black Codes context. You know that isn't a fair comparison.

8. fchowd0311

This is a purely probability and statistics issue. The more given human interactions in a certain area the higher probability of everything involving human interactions occuring at higher rates than less dense areas.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't need an example of a rural black crime ridden town.

Cant find the race breakdown on Gadsen crime but its still 34% black much blacker than 14% America overall

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Until poor blacks confront internal nothing is going to change for poor blacks

11. justtxyank

I'm not 100% sure what your point is.

Are you saying black people are genetically predisposed to commit crime?

All of the places with these crazy crime rates have basic common denominators, with the BIGGEST one being the economic factor. I haven't disputed that blacks commit crimes at a higher than average rate the question is why. What is happening? You aren't really giving a causal factor and I'm offering one up.

Beginning in the late 70s, the road to the middle class has gotten worse and worse for everyone, but it happened first to blacks and has accelerated faster for them.

But absolutely, the white communities having economic trouble right now are dealing with serious crime and drug problems. We are reacting to it differently now that white people are dying from drugs than we did when it was black people.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I said broken homes about three times already. Not genetics. Dont put wprds in when i said my point

Do white communities have something eqivalent to crack houses? Opiods dont come with drive bys

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The foundation of any community are homes.

Thats basic fundamentals that no one disputes. So i dont get why some get so up in arms when you say nothing will change for poor blacks until you fix home structure

Its not insulting its jut addressing a truism

14. fchowd0311

What policies would you put in place to solve this issue? Normative ought statements don't solve issues. We are discussing in the context of policy that is constitutionally allowed. That is the framing of the argument isn't it?

Saying "black fathers are bad" doesn't do anything does it.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Being honest about the problem would be a good start.

I started this thread about Baltimore then people wanted to argue about root causes of problems so don't hit me with that you don't have an answer b.s.

Edit: its not that the other reasons aren't valid but at some point internal issues have to be faced. Doesnt matter how they started they eventually have to be addressed by the patient

16. Buck Turgidson

When the former hippies try and tell you that nobody got hurt by anything you couldn't cure with a shot, just think about that.

Then think about hepatitis and AIDS.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One way to improve the home situation is to address and improve the racism that exists in our justice and law enforcement system. Another way to help that family and home structure is to help fund better schools with more equity in education. We could add housing, healthcare, business loans, etc. to the list of issues that we could address that might well help the home and family structure.

Let's address the causes more than the symptoms.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. justtxyank

And I again ask for a cause. Why are the homes broken?

I again point to the economic factor. This isn’t unique to blacks or to America. Economics drive the situation all over the world.

Meth and heroine to answer your last question. And yes, white people participate in and die in drive by shootings as well.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. justtxyank

You aren’t being honest about the problem though. You are saying broken homes are the problem and starting there. I’m disputing that as the starting point not disputing it as a fact.

Deteriorating economic situations lead to broken homes, lead to crime etc.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. biff17

biff17 Member

Baltimore still has a thriving Black middle class.

what's your point?
    Great point.