1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Samsung QLED Q90R 65" TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Riz, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Just bought this. Will be arriving in the next couple of days. I'm super excited. Anyone with a Samsung QLED (any model), what's your experience like? Any advice?

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Samsung Tvs don't support dolby vision. It's not a deal breaker for most but from my experience, DV just looks better and brighter the majority of the time over HDR10. QLED series is still top notch and most of their line is great for rooms that are bright.

3. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Ideal for bright spaces is one of the reasons why I got it. One of my walls is all glass so it's bright until 8-8:30 pm during the summer months. My old plasma TV is horrible in a bright environment, and forget viewing it at an angle.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice, I'm sure the new Samsung should be awesome in a bright environment. Definitely give us an update. I am probably going to eventually upgrade again, but currently just at 4k with what seems like limited HDR (yeah it claims it's HDR and it is a Samsung but probably 2 years old at this point), nothing like these newer sets. Fortunately my room with the TV isn't too bright.

Riz likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have an 8K one. Quite satisfied. Just that it randomly turned itself on a few minutes ago.

Deckard, fallenphoenix and Riz like this.
  6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Interesting note for those that haven't cut the cord and still have Xfinity...most of these Samsung TVs support the Xfinity app, so you don't need a box for that TV...just use the Smart TV functionality to watch.

Right now only Roku TVs and Samsungs support this.

studogg likes this.
  7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

My Samsung did this a few times. Scares the hell out of you at 3 a.m.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Read that it works with Fire TV now.

Supermac34 likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Im going with the Chinese company when I get a new tv. Great price for quality

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's weird. Just turns itself on? Is that a Samsung thing, or an 8K thing? ;-)

I wish I could convince myself that I need a new one. Maybe I could give what's in our bedroom to our youngest kid, tell him to give his current display, an "old" one we gave him a couple of years ago, to a friend, move the one in our living room that's hooked up to a very nice 5.2 system with Klipsch speakers (which I'm planning to turn into a 7.2), and move that one to our bedroom so I can put a new one there. So if I bought a Samsung (I've been buying Sony's for many years), will it sporadically turn itself on in the middle of the night? It's confusing.

I have a 4K. Do you really love the 8K when it isn't acting like a zombie that just woke up?

What brand is that? If I bought one, would they dismantle those pretend islands they dredged up in the South China Sea? Think my business would make that worth it for them?

11. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I picked up an LG OLED a few months ago (their flagship model for 2019) and I'm super happy.

Used to be a big Samsung fan.

12. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Nice. Have one of the new 77” Sony OLEDs on the way that uses that same panel and also replacing a Samsung.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. I think he's talking about the TCL brand. It's like the Chinese Vizio. Not bad, not great, but good bang-for-the-buck.

Deckard likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

BTW, if you guys want a good site for reviews of tv's, check out www.rtings.com.

Cold Hard, tinman, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Agreed TCL are really pretty nice for what they are. Exactly the Chinese Visio and Isn’t Visio mostly all Chinese manufactured anyway.

Deckard likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That site is the best. Used it extensively for researching a new TV for my workout room. Ended up getting the Sony 900F which so far has been stellar.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hisense. Their 2019 h8f model is getting great reviews and runs the Android TV software. For the price of 400 for a 50" or 500 for a 55", it's really hard to beat.

I'm waiting for them to ship the h9f version though, just a little more features for 1 or 2 hundred more.

Deckard likes this.
  18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Reminder that QLED does not equal OLED. QLED is Samsung's branded high end LEDs. OLED is very different.

19. le081488

le081488 Member

#19 le081488, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Humble brag with a possibly sentient TV.

fallenphoenix and donkeypunch like this.