1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Woj) MDA has ended contract talks with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 30, 2019.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Not sure it means anything, but Larry Brown won his first and only championship in 2004 at the age of 63. That's the oldest a coach has been when winning their first championship. Popovich won his last at 65. Only one 70+ coach has ever won a championship in a major sport - Jack McKeon with the Marlins.

saleem, snowconeman22 and daywalker02 like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I've just spent so much time on this so I'll try to summarize.

I LOVE Morey. But I believe Morey is extremely loyal. He will take the organization's position, and imo the head of the organization is much more forceful now.

Tilman has lied about much more than that too. It's not just the "oops" comment he made. That was just the most cringey one.

I have no reason to believe MDA would lie. Nevermind that he doesn't even seem like the type who cares enough to lie. I trust people till they screw it up.

HP3 likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes they have.

4. basketballholic

MDA has trade value. Tillman gonna trade him for a supply of BBQ rub for his restaurants and a first?

#444 basketballholic, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dun you know the Rockets have played it safe so damn much in recent years.

You can't find a better coach for now, you waste another year of title window.

That is exactly how I see them saying good bye to Mike......hey, give us your best year, it might be good enough to make the playoffs, after couple of rounds, you get your bonus, and bye!

The Incentives started with Tilman, recalling Capela's rebounding and Free throw Incentives, all started with Tilman.
    He has no respect for players, maybe he thinks it is a way to spur them on, but I have no doubt, it is just a gimmick.

It is more frustrating pairing it up with his 'Doing whatever it takes to win a championship'.
    You dun even know who is going to return next year, and you already ready yourself for a tax evasion.......
    while selling to the media that you want to win badly.

#445 daywalker02, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    D-rock and Mathloom like this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Using picks to dump salary and get under the tax line.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey needs to back MDA up. He executes his gimmicky offense better than McHale but that's expected out of a fat snake, throw him under the bus and pretend that's not your philosophy.

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

No , I think MDA has been a "Moreyball" proponent all along . He's always tried to get the most efficient shots.

D-rock likes this.
  9. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

This season is already going to be a dumpster fire.
    They need to fire Morey and stop being cheap ****s. They won’t fire him bc Tilman doesn’t want to pay him while he’s unemployed.
    I don’t look forward to this season or any season in which Tilman is the owner of this Houston team TBH.

10. BigBum

BigBum Member

Jason Kidd gets 6.5 million dollars as assistant each year.

2.5 is too low.

11. icewill36

icewill36 Member

kerr deserves some credit, but the warriors had young guys still improving. they were going to be better regardless. what i give kerr props the most on his having the guts to play draymond at the 5. im not sure there is any other coach in the league who wouldve done that at the time. most just want to stick with tradition and dont think outside the box.

that said, the warriors had more talent than the rockets then, and they have more talent now. the rockets need more than a new coach. the strategy of filling the roster with guys they think just outplay their contracts just isnt going to work. we need another star here or we will never get over the hump no matter who is coaching.

i get everyone is upset and looking for someone to blame, but maybe we just keep getting beat by a more talented team. what could we have done differently as far as strategy to make up for the talent gap ? even without KD, curry, thompson, and green, are better than harden, cp3, capela. we are undersized and have a bunch of steak shooters.

firing MDA is not going to solve our problems IMO.

D-rock likes this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I hate people who shoot steaks. Such a weird obsession.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like my steaks well killed.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

In so many games, Harden or Paul have to verbally call when and how to set the screen. Many times they have to holler at guys to get to certain shooting spots the other 'contending' teams really have no issues with during obvious game time situations. What the hell are the Rockets working on in practice or talk about during team meetings? Fire MDA...

#454 Sanctity, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    amaru and BigShasta like this.
  15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

HP3 and Vivi like this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

One year and we've really written a built an entirely theoretical world of Tilman on Clutchfans.

The NBA finals just ended yesterday and we haven't even heard possible candidates for assistant coaching positions (assuming we even have any kind of accuracy in evaluating them when we do hear) and we're writing off next season.

What's going on around here? People have always been super reactionary after losses and very critical of coaches, but it has just turned into full blown nihilism now. We ain't the Charlotte Hornets.

This isn't just in reference to the quoted post, also to the "Tad Brown Fireworks" thread and many others recently. What if people were as emotionally distraught about the state of their neighborhood, community and country as much as they are about this first year sports owner? Dayum.

#456 napalm06, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'll never trust Landry Locker again haha

19. BigBum

BigBum Member

If MDA lose confidence to pass the first round playoffs or win Championships, he could demand job interview in February.
    What is your solution?

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't really understand your post.

What are you saying he might do?