1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember this, we are trying to add two primary stars.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 18, 2019.

1. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Batum has only one concern, keep gettin' them checks

luckyman76, Nook and saleem like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Alright. Seems like very liberal use of the word star to me, but it's a made up term anyway that means nothing to anyone so that's fine.

MorningZippo, Matt78777 and topfive like this.
  3. cebu

cebu Member

What's the point in adding another star wwhen the balls stops at Haren?

4. the shark

the shark Member

basketballholic = Cliff Claven

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

And what was your definition of the term before this thread went south like a goose for the winter?

6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

7. basketballholic

Now that I've had a few days to digest the Westbrook trade and talk myself back in off the ledge I have to believe with the addition of Westbrook and subtraction of Chris Paul that we are pushing for 2 primary guys even more.

That is.... if we're serious about winning a championship and not just solely interested in having "lots of fun" as our mercurial star player put it.

To set the stage for you a little better, I'm going to repeat what I've said for over a year.

PICK AND ROLL BASKETBALL IS NOT GOING TO WIN US A CHAMPIONSHIP!

That was verified to us, not once, but twice!!!

Now with the semi breakup of the Warriors many of the members here have once again deluded themselves into believing that we can run PnR and win a title. What they are not realizing is that the other super teams now forming in the West are going to be just as nasty defending the PnR as the Warriors have been.

Lebron and AD? That's a great PnR defensive combo. Really AD and anybody is a great defensive combo against PnR. And the Lakers have several options. Kawhi and George... same thing.

1. If we go PnR against those teams they are going to counter with their superstars defending it.

2. To go along with #1, we have another problem. And that is that with Westbrook our PnR just became easier for everybody to defend.

Realize this folks. Westbrook is a worse shooter than ....... wait for it ...... Wicky Wubio. The ONLY place on the court that Westbrook is a more efficient shooter than Rubio is at the rim.

So..... when we're in crunch time with Harden running PnR against those super teams.... not only are the opponents going to counter with great defenders but the defender assigned to Westbrook is going to be able to shade away from him. Because the opponent will want Westbrook shooting the ball.

Flip the script and put Westbrook on the ball in PnR and the defender goes under the pick all day long daring Westbrook to shoot it.

We couldn't get PnR to work with 2 great playmakers and 3 good to great shooters against the Warriors. It's illogical to think that we're going to be able to make PnR work now with a terrible shooter on the court against PnR defenses that will be just as good as the Warriors PnR defense has been the last few seasons.

So the replacement of Paul with Westbrook only further accentuates our need to move to 5-out pick-n-pop basketball with a big man that can shoot a ton of 3's in crunch time.

Additionally Westbrook is at his only best (in other words the only way he excels) when he's breaking down a single defender in iso and going to the rack either in half court sets or in transition.

So that means we have to dominate the defensive boards. Im not talking about just winning the rebounding war. Im talking about being the best or second best defensive rebounding team in the Association.

It also means we need to attack the offensive glass because Westbrook is gonna chuck up some bricks.

And it also means that creating defensive turnovers (steals and taking charges) has to be a priority to get Westbrook out on the break.

Because Westbrook is also a poor individual defender and Bzdelik is gone we are likely going to go away from switch everything to what i call zone switching. We put Harden and Westbrook in the corners defensively and our shooting big man in the middle and PJ and our other defender at the top generally with changes depending on matchups.

This all leads up to we are STILL after two primary stars. Even after the trade for Westbrook and even more necessary after the trade of Westbrook.

It's even more clear that our path to a title means 5 out play, spreading defenders out and letting Harden/ Westbrook create 1 on 1.

So im going to add a few names to the list of guys that we need to acquire 2 of.

Smart
    Winslow
    Otto
    Love
    Batum
    Zeller
    Bogdanovic
    Robert Covington
    Myles Turner
    Adams (possible flip or keep)

In order of priority
    Big men that can shoot
    1. Adams
    2. Love
    3. CZeller
    4. Turner

Wing men who can defend and shoot
    1. Winslow
    2. Covington
    3. Otto
    4. Smart
    5. Batum
    6. Bogdanovic

We need one player from each list.

Im wondering about an Adams/Covington combination. I can see us going all in for that type of combination with picks, Ego, and Capela.

Its obvious that in the Westbrook trade piece that had been announced that we overpaid. I can see 4 picks for a Westbrook/ Adams/Roco or Love /Roco or Winslow combination.

We need 2 guys that will spread the court by being able to shoot the 3 with one guy being a dominant rebounder and the other guy being a great defender. And i think Morey is trying to make it happen as we go all in this summer.

#287 basketballholic, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    harold bingo likes this.
  8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

While I like your thoughts, it seems the Rockets "system" of pick n roll, etc. could have beat the Warriors 2 seasons ago if Chris Paul does not pull a hammy. We had them on the ropes and that was even with Durant on that Warriors squad who became a surprisingly good defender. If Westbrook can add value in similar ways Paul did that 1st year here then the Rockets "system" could work but yes we would still need at least 1 more rotation piece who is solid 2 way player that can also hit the 3 really well. Covington is ideal.

Westbrook does have to be smart in his decision making and shot selection which is a big if. Also, I am very worried about the Clippers as they would seem to match us with us really well with Kawhi and George being 2 of the best all around players in the league with amazing man to man and team defense. Not to mention that the Clippers can throw Beverley on Westbrook and/or Harden to play physical at any moment. That has potential to be the best 3 perimeter defenders combination of any team I have ever seen assuming Bev is healthy and can play like he did last year. I still like our foursome of Harden, Westbrook, Gordon, and Rivers against any team in the league except the Clippers. Adding more offensive talent with ability to stretch the floor will open it up for our whole time. So I do agree that adding a solid piece is must at this point but it needs to be a net add, not a trade Gordon/Capela for marginal upgrades. Ideally we add a guy like Covington without giving up any of our rotation pieces but I am sure you won't agree since you have been itching to trade Capela since the day he was drafted.

topfive and D-rock like this.
  9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Who is the big man "Adams" that can shoot?

topfive likes this.
  10. basketballholic

Actually we weren't beating them with PnR at all. We were losing and had to abandon it. We were only able to beat them with small ball. We simply ran out of bodies and had to play non- shooters.

Westbrook can't do that. He can neither shoot nor defend similar to Paul.

Yeah. A championship team isn't built on big IFs like that. For his career Westbrook has proven to have the same basketball iq as a sack of hammers. It would be foolish to build a team thinking that if he develops good bball iq we can win it all. The eady to build out a team is to put your main guys in the greatest position to succeed while covering up their flaws as much as possible

Westbrook's strengths are his speed, quickness, and athleticism. That's how he became an MVP and max salary player. To build around his strengths and cover his flaws we have to go 5-out, minimize his jump shots, and maximize his finishing opportunities. And if in the process he exhibits a more bball iq than he has previously.... that's great. But we'r don't depend on that happening.

Very simply. Capela has trade value. And he's owed 4 more years. And he can't help us by being on the court in crunch time against teams like you mentioned.

Im itching to trade Capela for the above reasons for a guy or guys that we can have on the floor at crunch time helping us beat the Clippers, Lakers, Warriors, Jazz, and whomever comes out of the East. That's how Capela helps us win a championship.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not only that, but Holic's All-"Primary Star" Game roster would apparently include the starting five from every team in "the Association."

D-rock likes this.
  12. harold bingo

Supporting Member

I wasn't even trying to be snarky, it was a real question! When I hear Adams I think of Steven Adams. Is there a different one I'm not thinking of? Or does @basketballholic think Adams can shoot the three? Or maybe it was a typo? I really enjoy his posts, this one included, but that part left me confused.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Smart is 6'4, Eric Gordon is same height and better 3-D player.

Rockets need to surround Harden/WB with longer high energy explosive above rim 3-D complementary players. Preferably 6'8 or taller with +7'0 wingspan.

Not necessarily about adding stars.

Siakam, Aaron Gordon, Robert Covington, Otto Porter, Danny Green, Aminu, Josh Richardson, - not one of these guys have ever been all stars.

But any of these guys would elevate our team and improve postseason chances.

2 of these guys would make Rockets favorites.

Under 6'8:

Iggy, Danny Green, Joe Ingles, Justin Holiday, Justice Winslow, Jae Crowder, Jonathon Simmons, MKG, KCP, Thabo Sefolosha

Only All Star in above list is Iggy and that recognition was a good while ago.

#293 D-rock, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    tc0330, topfive and Chamillionaire like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

He's thinking of Steven Adams. He wants to dump Capela because he can't shoot, but he's fine bringing in someone who earns 25% more who also can't shoot.

Holic occasionally has interesting takes, but he contradicts himself all the time, especially when it comes to replacing Capela with a center who can shoot.

D-rock likes this.
  15. basketballholic

Not hardly. That's 150 guys.

16. basketballholic

Yes he can shoot the 3. As can Zeller.

17. harold bingo

Supporting Member

I agree with you on your definition of a star, but in the context of this thread, a star has been defined by holic as "can be a top 4 player on a team that wins a championship." So most of those guys would qualify.

D-rock likes this.
  18. harold bingo

Supporting Member

Interesting. What makes you think he can shoot the 3, do you have evidence for that? Maybe a link to a video or an article? He's only ever shot 7 in his entire NBA career and he's missed them all.

D-rock likes this.
  19. basketballholic

There's short video of it. Ive seen more in person. I think we'd take him... if we'r can get him.... maybe even to move him to the Cavs for Love.

harold bingo likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member