1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tilman Financial Troubles] Shams: Rockets not comfortable going deep into tax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Says someone's source... You people need to get a life.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That's a lot of f**king money for a 35 year old role player. I'm not gonna rush to Tilman's defense on most of these salary issues, but I understand this one completely.

Covington on the other hand, yes that is one he better be willing to pay for.

Bids9, AroundTheWorld and tc0330 like this.
  3. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Nope. Still in wait-and-see mode with Fern t***. Just have a strong reaction to dumb takes.

And there are a lot of them on this site.

Carl started banging the Poor Tilman drum before he even bought the team, and this site full of lemmings fell in line.

Tilman might be a cheapskate, but we don’t know that yet.

And making arguments about wanting another owner whose team has been objectively worse than Fertitta’s is just stupid. And should be called out as such.

I hate the gross uniforms Fertitta has foisted upon us (90s classics excepted, obvs). He may end up being a bad owner.

I’m more worried about him being Jerry Jones than I am about him being Broke AF.

Wishing for Steve Ballmer over Fertitta, at this point, is just dumb. The Rockets have been pretty awesome on TF’s watch, and I won’t freak out about TF until that’s not the case. No homo.

4. tc0330

tc0330 Member

people just wanna throw money at everybody

5. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Not sure it's that simple. We just don't know all the facts. It could be Memphis is asking Houston to take on an additional salary. Or perhaps Tilman is hoping to trade a player instead of a pick to offset salary. Worst case scenario: Tilman prefers to trade a player rather than a draft pick to offset the cost. From a basketball perspective best case scenario is Houston trades draft picks and shumpert/hartenstein salary for Iguodala, but from a cost perspective it's possible Tilman is pushing for PJ Tucker and a pick, or perhaps Eric Gordon's expiring and a pick. So yes, it's possible he can pursue Iguodala and still be cheap.

ALSO, glass half full: Charania got his info from another team who knows tilman hates being called cheap and is trying to press him into giving up that first.

Deuce, Gray_Jay and joshuaao like this.
  6. tc0330

tc0330 Member

yea this sounds more like it

jch1911 and Fyreball like this.
  7. cml750

cml750 Member

I see what you did there. ;):D

8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, you're right, it does apply to pretty much any old player. I would be hesitant to pay anyone this much in their later years on a steady decline.

I'm not saying it's surprising that he would say it about Steph, I understand the bond. What I'm saying is that at this stage in his career, he's getting old and he is injury prone. He's already won rings, so that's not something he's missing that he needs to chase. I'm just not convinced he'd be out there giving 100%, willing to pay through the pain and minor injuries, and really have his heart in it if he played for us. This is pure speculation on my part.

Yeah, agreed here. If it's Iggy or nothing, give me Iggy for sure. But if there are other options available, maybe younger guys, guys who haven't won rings yet, guys who aren't injury prone, guys who are good shooters, I'd prefer that.

jch1911 likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm no longer comfortable paying double the price for frozen seafood just to interact with some cheesy animatronics to make my kid sit through dinner.

Gray_Jay and J.R. like this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Deeply concerning.

Tilman cannot afford a championship team.

11. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I have been banging the drum to trade Gordon since before the deadline last year, and I will be beyond irate if all he ends up getting moved for is a one year rental of Igoudala. Adding a pick to do it would be throwing gas on that fire.

I don't see Igoudala coming here. Much better uses for that hypothetical Shumpert contract than Iggy. And I don't think Fertitta will authorize spending the additional money it would take to resign Shumpert. Or to take back salary in the Brodie trade. Etc.... Highly likely that, as other posters have mentioned, he has Morey act exactly as he did last offseason and before the deadline: do everything possible to duck the tax, at the expense of putting the best team on the court, because he's scared silly of the repeater tax escalators the last year of Brodie's deal.

(Aside, I haven't tried, but is it possible to get a "Luxury Tax Savings" official Rockets jersey? EDIT: 1 "Lux Savings" works. 250 is a bit much to pay for a joke though.)

Fertitta is going to get crap from the CF commentariat until he actually spends into the tax, and doesn't just talk about how willing he is to do it. Or about all of these mysterious deals that other teams keep backing out on.

#131 Gray_Jay, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  12. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Wouldn't either House, or Clark, or hell, hopefully Bennett be the replacement for Iggy in that scenario? At least by next year, the Rockets should be a lot closer to figuring out whether they need to fish or cut bait with any of them.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Seriously though... does anyone know yet how Tillman financed the purchase of the Rockets? Please tell me it wasn't financed through Deutche Bank loans?

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Deutsche Bank? He was buying the Rockets not the presidency.

Nook, Phillyrocket, dobro1229 and 3 others like this.
  15. finsraider

finsraider Member

This is where I would pause. Iggy played 23 minutes per game last year...lowest of his career.

It’s possible that Iggy or his agent has indicated to Houston that if bought out, he would sign with Houston. I know this goes against conventional wisdom, but then again...Westbrook is a Rocket.

If you were Fertitta, would you want to pay $40 million and a pick for a guy you might be able to get for a minimum contract?

Gray_Jay likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If they have that indication from Iggy then yes, they should absolutely play hard ball here and wait for the buyout.

18. Bids9

Bids9 Member

100%

If the right player comes up then im sure we will pay the Lux tax and well into it. Gotta choose your battles though so to speak. Ive admired Iggy as much as anyone but if people were thinking CP was washed up well Iggy is older with more injuries in his history. Ive got no problem with Tillman/Morey not wanting to go into the Lux Tax unless is someone worth it

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

oh boy! a warriors fan thinks Tilman should sell the team. Time to pack it up boys, Tilman's time has come to an end.

Nook likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

if the indications are iggy prefers being here in the event he gets to chose then obviously, you go for the min contract. the problem is we dont know that and what many assume would be choices like either LA team are real possibilities. its not like guys havent been rejecting to play in houston