1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ: BREAKING Westbrook to Houston for CP3 & Picks!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xerobull, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's such a great post. A perfect reminder for those who didn't experience that season as an adult that risk is always part of every trade. People will criticize. It's inevitable. Maybe the criticism turns out to be justified, but maybe events prove that it was wrong. You posted the proof right there.

What a magical season. "The Rockets have been one of the league's poorest rebounding teams." How incredible is that statement? We're talking about a team that had Dream and OT, two world class rebounding big men. "Don't know how we're going to match up," said Houston reserve Mario Elie, "but I guess that's the coach's job." Yes it was, Mario, and we had the perfect coach to make it happen one more time.

Great days. Great days, indeed. It's way past time to win #3. Work your magic, Daryl. We need a little bit more.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

And nbody ever accused Drexler of being a low IQ chucker who chased stats over team success.

Besides, who is to say that the Rockets couldn't have defended the championship if they ran it back with the same team?

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This would be terrible though. Capela is a huge weapon for us.

itzIce, Vivi, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  4. justtxyank

Man are we praising Rudy T's coaching of a "system" now? We've come to that?

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Considering that the Rockets were the ones to pull the trigger (ALSO acquiescing to a star player's desires of wanting to play with his friend), I'd say THEY were the ones who didn't think they could defend the championship. There was a certain magic that the 93-94 season had that we couldn't quite capture in 94-95.....until Drexler arrived. Call me a homer, but I firmly believe that same "magic" from 2017-18 can be recaptured with this Westbrook trade. Harden will be more motivated than ever, and just based on player's reactions on Twitter, you can tell that the team is energized.

jch1911 and hakeem94 like this.
  6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dieng and Capela make basically the same salary - obviously Capela is a much better player/value (and has 4 years left vs. Dieng's 2). They could add Capela for Dieng + Covington to the Westbrook/Paul deal fairly easily under the cap rules (probably need some random 2nd round pick to go between OKC and Minny to make it fully legal).

Dieng would actually be a good fit on the roster if not for his bloated salary - he's started to show some ability to spot up for 3 (he's actually always had good touch, shooting ~80% from the FT line), and provides at least some rim protection / rebounding. Trading Capela in a deal like that also alleviates some of repeater tax problems the Rockets are looking at in the final year of Westbrook's deal.

If you think Covington is fully healthy, it's a really interesting deal - but I hate to give up on Capela coming off such a bad Warriors series...

In short - is downgrading Capela to Dieng worth saving 1-2 picks?

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Based on the comments about being okay with taking on Dieng's contract, I think it's time to start......the Gorgui Dieng Movement....

8. justtxyank

NO!!!!!!!!

FWIW, I have no problem with Dieng. He's a useful player. His salary isn't my problem. However, if they move Capela in order to make it easier to deal with Dieng's hit...ugh FFS.

9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I say no if it costs us Capela and/or Gordon (or Tucker). Seems like that is the only way for Tilman to have a reasonable tax bill is if one of those 3 players is included. Capela will be a huge asset playing with Westbrook and Harden and his defense is solid except against the Warriors who will hopefully be weakened.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I think the short answer is probably yes.

We have to be careful with our draft picks down the line.

However I suspect an even bigger issue is to try and eliminate the luxury tax hit.

Dieng expires in two seasons, so that should help the Rockets get under the stronger repeater tax.

NIKEstrad likes this.
  11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We aren't moving Clint in any deal for Covington and Dieng! CC isn't going anywhere at this point, most likely... unless it's for KLove...even then perhaps not. I want Covington, and believe he's ours if we want to pay the price. But, it's not CC!

12. Nook

Nook Member

I suspect we may have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

I would rather keep Capela, but if there is concern about luxury tax costs and lost draft picks, that is the most logical way to off set our loses.

Realistically, with Covington and Chandler (hypothetically), I could see the Rockets decide that Dieng will be able to contribute 25 minutes a night.

Dieng has been working on a 3 point shot, he hits his 3's and he rebounds.... plus he has a 7'4" wingspan and can defend a bit outside the paint.

jch1911 and hakeem94 like this.
  13. justtxyank

If the "price" is taking on Dieng's contract and giving away Hart and all of the non guaranteed guys I'm 100% for it. That's a dream scenario. Hell, Dieng could be a really good player her.

jch1911 likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

It would be to lower the cost of getting Covington and likely getting some assets to off set the Westbrook deal.

If the Rockets take back Dieng, the cost of Covington should be very little......... Capela could be rolled up into draft picks that would off set the loss for Westbrook.

That is all just a theory of mine, no one has said anything to me about it FWIW.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Let's hope your theory is off.

Add Covington lose picks keep Capela 10 out of 10 times.

Capela is about to be All NBA 3rd team.

hakeem94, Deckard and justtxyank like this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just a reminder guys, nobody agreed to take on Dieng even when it was about acquiring Butler, Dieng might not be terrible but he's a meh player on a bad contract, the Wolves tried to dump him just like we did with Anderson and couldn't, if we plan to move Capela and start him it's not going to end well.

For me it makes sense to take him if it means sending out one less 1st rounder in order to get Covignton, although yeah, i don't see Tilman being ok with that move.

Deuce, thekad, jch1911 and 2 others like this.
  17. justtxyank

They can take back Dieng without needing to include Capela.

Take the hit!

Would be a dream scenario.

In:
    Dieng
    Covington
    Westbrook

Out:
    Paul
    Hartenstein
    Shump
    picks

Yes please.

18. justtxyank

I think Dieng is better than "meh" but he's not a starting caliber player. I'd be happy to have him as a backup C and I don't have much faith in Chandler being healthy for the whole year. He's only got 1 more year.

I'd 100% be on board to eat his contract for Minny if it netted us Covington.

jch1911 likes this.
  19. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Can they announce the trade already

20. PullUpJ

PullUpJ Member

I would take us as the favorite if we could pull this off.

D-rock likes this.