1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey was given the order from the Tillmans to complete this trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jul 12, 2019.

1. CertifiedTroll

Preperation H can help sooth the pain @tinman

2. Nook

Nook Member

I have a lot of concerns.

I have questions defensively. I have questions when it comes to spacing. I have obvious fit questions and I have questions with how MDA and Westbrook will function.

However there are ways for it to work and the Rockets to actually be better. I just have reservations about whether that will happen.

Westbrook is going to need to cut out his mid range shot attempts and capitalize in transition......

So I am skeptical but admit is it possible the Rockets are better.

3. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

So a guy with moniker of BeardNation13 hates Harden?! Why have the moniker?! Some of you people belong in an insane asylum.

#283 Smacktle, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    RayRay10 likes this.
  4. threepointshot3

He is a Lin fan by the sounds of it and has mental problems. You know the same player who will be playing in China next season but that is somehow hardens fault

persian hoopa likes this.
  5. biff17

biff17 Member

So he is better right?

And he will have more space in Houston with the spacing and better shooters.

I am no Westbrook can but are you really trying to say that Westbrook is not a better one on one player than Paul?

Really?

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

And James Harden was given the order from basketballholic.

7. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I think that the great thing about the trade is that the Rockets still have 2 first round picks that they can trade. It will be interesting to see how they use them. But having them to upgrade the roster is big. Maybe another disgruntled star wants to come here during the season. Idk who it could be but the Rockets are set up pretty well to make another move.

8. Remlap

Remlap Member

I believe this is more about the soured relationship of CP and James than it is about
    thinking WB is a more 'efficient' player.
    Sounds like there was more to the CP/Harden story than we knew.

James and Russ were a formidable tandem in OKC and still good friends.
    It's a simple equation - CP and Harden relationship sours, and at the same time Russ wants out of OKC
    BADA BING, BADA BOOM. CP ends up in Purgatory and James and Russ are reunited

Pretty simple
    I don't put this on Morey. It's all about keeping your marquee player happy and content.
    Chip or not, he'll be playing alongside his buddy. And they are both star players are they not?

I'll still have a hard time seeing WB in a Rox uni, but I totally understand why all of this happened

BeardNation13 likes this.
  9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

At the time they were.

To say that les hasnt gone for it is simply contrary to fact

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If we are assuming/expecting to the see the same offense as last year with Russ/Harden then I think that's where the disconnect is. MDA and Harden have PROVEN that they can change when needed.

2016/2017: Harden slides over to the playmaking/PG role 100% of the time and MDA unleashes Harden's true potential
    2017/2018: Harden and Paul takes turn going to work on opponents as the season went on and both became elite offensive players in isolation
    2018/2019: Harden pretty much carries the team for the first half of the year by taking the ISO play even further as no other viable options were available

MDA and Harden have changed/altered when necessary. I don't expect that to change. This isn't like bringing in a washed Carmelo Anthony. This is bringing in someone to be our 2nd option as he's replacing the outgoing 2nd option who no longer can be a 2nd option in the NBA.

11. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

hehe

12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

The numbers tell a different story. Look at his points per possession ppp numbers and compare that with the rest of that list. 0.75 is horrid if we are being honest. Then look at the last column and you will see that Russ is 30th percentile and CP is still over 60.

Now I do think(hope) Russ can improve with more space to operate. Russ can tend to negate his advantage in speed and athleticism by settling for way too many inefficient pull up jumpers from 2 or 3. Then he only shot about 66% from the FT line last year, further pulling down his ppp.

His advanced stats are why some fans have a lot of concern. Your iso #’s are bound to drop off when everyone is backing off and daring you to shoot.

harold bingo and FrontRunner like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

REMEMBER JAMES, WE ARE TRYING TO ACQUIRE TO TWO STAR PLAYERS

luckyman76 and Game7 like this.
  14. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Great take. I agree with everything. It's frustrating though because Morey has worked hard getting the Rockets this far and has managed to save a rainy day ace up his sleeve all this time for an "all in" move. It's a shame that the ace had to be used to take a step backward or laterally because James prefers comradery over winning. As inefficient as this board feels Westbrook is, imagine how Morey must feel with his advanced data.

15. biff17

biff17 Member

Those numbers don't reflect that Paul took his man off the dribble far less than Russ and it was usually with a far worse defender.

Paul has trouble getting around centers last year and he definitely cannot finish at the rim like Russ.

Yes Russ is going to have to stop with all of the long 2's and I am somewhat squeamish about that, but he will have much more room to attack the basket and will be better in the fast break getting easy baskets.

It's going to be a work in progress but my point is that our offense can help him with his strengths.

FrontRunner and BaselineFade like this.
  16. thekad

thekad Member

James Dolan is the owner of the Rockets. Repeat this to yourselves.

17. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

As a die hard fan, I have to hope that you are correct.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

That's a Harden fat joke. I'm sure of it.

Remlap, Game7 and harold bingo like this.
  19. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Yeah I know. But I'm hoping. But then again we use to let Josh Smith shoot any shot he wanted. So you are probably right.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'm of the same opinion as you. However, I have been a Rockets fan ever since they came from San Diego and I have seen a LOT of grand schemes like this blow up in their faces. My gut is telling me that this will not end well for the Rockets but it all remains to play out on the court. In the meantime, I plan to wait and see what transpires during the season. It will be challenging because D'Antoni is simply not the right coach to make this work. Oh well...