1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj Bomb: Miami has expressed interest in Russell Westbrook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Jul 8, 2019.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Winslow, yes. We do need to reinforce the 3, be it Winslow or Covington or I don't-know-who-the-f***.

treyk3, jch1911 and Deckard like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Winslow would be terrific. Steady improvement from Downtown with an increase in attempts. Over 4 assists a game. A plus defender. A 6'7" wing who played the 3 for a great program, Duke, but can also play at the one. Could take some of the load off Harden. What's not to like? I'd prefer him to Covington, unless someone can convince me otherwise. Not that we're likely to get either one, of course. Man, if only!

He would be worth giving something valuable in order to get him, in my opinion. Like Eric and a pick.
    Eric's contract is a million more, though. We'd have to take more salary from Miami.

#122 Deckard, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    joshuaao, treyk3 and justinh like this.
  3. jch1911

jch1911 Member

If we can get Olynyk from being in this deal.... would make me happy (not as happy as Winslow & Olynyk, but I am trying to be reasonable here)

Corrosion likes this.
  4. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

worst case scenario, this role is filled by house.
    I think there are going to be times where we will need a traditional 4 (something we do not have) and a traditional 5 (capela) It would be unrealistic for us to play tucker for most of the time at the 4 against lakers, especially if they play davis at 4.

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

“Extraordinary feat” does not mean smart basketball move. More power to Miami having two highly volatile players (for different reasons) on the court together.

I think Jimmy will end up wanting to kill Russ, but guess we shall see.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article231883128.html

Vivi likes this.
  7. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Miamis hard capped and russ is a 35-40 million dollar cap hit. Theyd have to match salary and still have enough space to fill the roster. Dragic is a chunk but thats nowhere close to enough. And they have no picks. They already shipped their best asset richardson in butler deal. This is a pipe dream. Itll probably get done somehow but no clue what miami is thinking. 2 stars well in their prime that arent good enough to be the best player on a championship team eating up as much cap as harden/paul. Id much rather have a harden paul duo thsn be tied to westbrook butler.

Lol at tricking jimmy to thinking he was getting his own team built around him and then miami wanting westbrook.

Jimmy made the wrong choice. Id have stayed in philly. Contended at the top of the east and get guanteed 190 million over 5 years

Sajan likes this.
  8. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Rockets can help facilitate. We will take james johnson off your hands miami. We need a power forward depth. Okc can have shumpert with his one year guaranteed salary in a sign and trade. It would be like having another pj tucker hybrid forward with james johnson

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

*But indications are the Heat would prefer not to include Bam Adebayo or Herro.*

Surprised it did not say *but indications are the Heat would prefer not to include Bam Adebayo or Herro or Winslow or anything good and would prefer the Thunder take all of the detritus off the Heat roster.*

luckyman76, joshuaao, Deckard and 6 others like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I'd give up a FRP & Shumpert if we could switch it to Winslow.

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

There is no incentive for OKC to do a one on one trade with Miami if they aren't getting a combination of good players for him. Both teams need a third team to provide draft pick(s). Rockets I'm sure are willing to participate, but there are probably a host of teams that would give up pick(s) for Winslow, or Bam Bam. I would love for us to get Winslow for a pick and a bunch of our bench guys not named Gordan, just can't believe that's would be enough to be the best facilitator.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

They didn't trick Jimmy into anything. Even before he signed, the Heat were rumored to be trying to pair him with Beal. Jimmy can say whatever he wants about wanting his own team, but it's all about location. Wade got in Jimmy's ear about the Heat and Jimmy just wanted a sexy location. He can now be a star and play dominoes with the old timers in Miami. He was a back up option for both LA teams and he wanted to make sure he was somewhere by a beach and not Galveston.

Deuce likes this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Winslow is probably the asset Miami is more willing to move, Bam is not available in any trade imo, he's too good to give up unless you get back a superstar, and between Herro and Winslow make sense to be more open about moving the second, Herro looks like a guy they could already start and he's younger and cheaper than Justise so, yeah...the question is, would OKC value him or a mediocre 1st rounder more? I'd say they still take Winslow over our 1st round pick, although adding a 2nd and/or a guy like Hartenstein might change that maybe.

Deckard likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

But this is Westbrook we're talking about.
    4 years, $170M
    The Thunder are not getting a Paul George return.
    The Heat (or whoever) need to give up good, young players AND draft picks AND salary cap relief?

Heard the same as @blahblehblah ; Zach Lowe said yesterday he would not trade a single asset for Westbrook.

#134 J.R., Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's what Zach would do. But he isn't as desperate as 71 year old Riley grasping at stars for one more run at the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see what Miami gives up. Last October Miami was NOT willing to give up Josh Richardson for Butler. Now all of a sudden he changes his mind due to pressures. So we'll see.

16. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

One major potential problem in any Miami/OKC trade is, OKC already owns an unprotected 2021 pick from Miami as well as a lottery protected pick from them in 2023.

I'm not sure how much OKC thinks trading Westbrook to them would effect the value of those pick.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. izeroi

izeroi Member

Anytime I read something that has Heat/trade it's always the same thing. Heat NEVER want to give up anything. They just want to trade you their gym towels and spare b-balls.

luckyman76, HP3 and Deuce like this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They could just ask Miami to remove the protection.

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

True, but I'd imagine the concern is more about the 2021 unprotected pick. Which is anticipated/assumed to be the 1st year with the change in draft rules, eliminating the 1 and done rule.

Personally, I'm rooting for Westbrook to go to Miami or Detroit, it'd at least make the east a little more fun/competitive.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Herro is decent, they intend to keep him.