1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Britain ambassador leaked memo on Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Pretty accurate assessment. Really nothing new, but still interesting to see a foreign assessment from an ally and suggestions for handling this White House.

foh and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Quite accurate, but embarrassing for the government of the UK. Knowing trump, he’ll react badly. Probably slap tariffs on British tea.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's patriotic **** right there.

Better than HUUSEIN OBUMMER bowing to the queen.

George Dub be rolling in his grave during that era of embarrassment

Deckard likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Embarrassing for both countries and all those in government that try to do their job

If the reverse were the case, I would want US to do the same. Internal candid, accurate assessment. Put forth an external image to be on the good side of a madmen. You got to initially do what's best for your interest first.

How awkward would it be now for the UK Ambassador to talk to his US counterparts... or would they just quietly nod their heads?

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wonder who leaked it? Someone in the British government? The Russians? I would lean towards the Russians, but some in the UK think it could be from there and connected with the Brexit/leadership crisis. What’s a pity is that not only will the ambassador lose his job (in my opinion), but it will be for giving an honest, and correct, assessment of trump.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Russians are backing trump its not them

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, they back discord in the US above all else. 45 is usually a good bet for that, but if they could push us closer to constitutional crisis, I think they'd happily turn against him.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

A weaken US/UK alliance is in their interest. UK pissing off trump is a good way to get there.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is a moron, and so are his supporters.

DD

edwardc and IBTL like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lmao

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Russians back trolling everyone and destabilizing the West - it was almost definitely them.

Of course considering that Russia is incapable of flouting a viable alternative to the West other than a tired kleptocracy that ***** on its own people- it doesn't have the same effect.

It's pretty stale by now.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

TRUMP OWNS U SJW

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of people don't realize this, including trump's supporters. With Putin and the FSB (formally known as the KGB, and Putin's former employer with the USSR), it isn't simply installing trump in power, which, according to the Mueller Report, they definitely had a hand in doing back in 2016. It's more about creating political chaos within our system of government by promoting extremism and division within our country, which weakens what is easily their most powerful adversary.

They are also, and this is obvious to anyone who's paying attention, sowing discord between the US and our allies, and disrupting our economic system. That last trump is doing for them by slapping tariffs on anything that moves. China gets the most publicity, being our largest trading "partner," but trump is doing it to our friends, as well. Even countries we have a trade surplus with, like Canada. Russia is encouraging all of this, as well as encouraging political chaos within the countries of Europe, countries that are so important to the United States, including @AroundTheWorld's own country, and Europe's economic powerhouse, Germany.

Meanwhile, trump's supporters, including those here, remain oblivious. They are content with their ignorance, happy to attack those who point out to them what is going on right in front of them.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is it possible to have nothing but contempt for Trump as a human being while really liking President Obama (whom I recently met for the first time), but to still prefer some elements of Trump's foreign policy (however misguided his motivation may be)?

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is a very astute view. It's a pity the liberals aren't mature enough to see it this way - especially poor SamFisher (my god, man, what have you turned into?). Trump doesn't care about how he's viewed as a human being, and it results in him breaking all kinds of socially acceptable norms. This is all the liberals are able to see. They don't see some of the good elements of what's happening - e.g. prison reform, prescription drug price reductions, stock market at all-time high, reduced taxes for all Americans, calling out China's abusive tech transfer and trade policies, etc.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sounds like a non-partisan free thinker to me, whether or not I agree on specifics.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would like to also add that while I view Trump as a malignant narcissist without compassion and without much of a moral compass, he is not Hitler - some of the leftist media demonizes him to a degree where it almost seems that they view him that way. Thinking back, they did almost the same with Bush Sr. and Jr., both of whom were decent men in reality (much more decent than Trump).

Some things I agree with Trump on, in addition to the ones mentioned by bigtexxx:

- Demanding that Germany fulfills its obligations towards NATO
    - Israel
    - Iran

I think he is wrong on climate change and fossil fuels (although I strongly dislike repressive tendencies in Europe which get justified by climate hysteria), his dealings with Kim Jong-Un are wacko (although I think I see what he thinks he is doing), and I certainly think his treatment of immigrant children at the border is inhumane. His obsession with a rather ineffective wall is also silly.

But again, he is not Hitler.

By the way, I do think he will get re-elected.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, it is. I supported President Obama, but strongly disagreed with some aspects of his foreign policy, and said so here. There's nothing wrong with it at all. You aren't a blind partisan willing to support the most extreme policies trump has been trumpeting. I certainly respect your opinion. I might not agree every time, but that's the way of the world.

I play trivia every week at a pub here with two Republicans. The other member of our team is a liberal Democrat, like myself. I've mentioned it here before. We've been playing together for a decade, at least, and are good friends. While we disagree politically about a lot of things, we just avoid those topics. It isn't that difficult. It's why I've suggested to @Clutch to make the ignore feature "forum specific," if he can. He said it was a good idea, and I'm hopeful that eventually he'll be able to give contributing members that feature. I get along fine with members outside of this forum that I have on ignore, because they make it impossible for me to have a civil discussion about certain topics in D&D. In Hangout, the GARM, or Dish? No worries. We agree on a lot of things, or would if I could see their posts, and vice versa.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  19. WNBA

WNBA Member

Then he is Hitler.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Prescription drug pricing? As usual, another trump lie...

Trump misleadingly says prescription drug prices have gone down
    https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...ug-policy/451904-trump-erroneously-touts-drop

Drug prices in 2019 are surging, with hikes at 5 times inflation
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drug-prices-in-2019-are-surging-with-hikes-at-5-times-inflation/

No Worries likes this.