1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Andre Iguodala, JaVale McGee up next on Rockets' wish list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2019.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I wasn’t comparing Shumpert to Russell....
    Igoudala is firmly in decline. He’s got 4.8 million miles on a currently busted wheel. He’s the first mainstay of a dynasty out the door why?

Lord have mercy, someone on clutchmffans.com acknowledging the ailments of luxury and repeaters tax. Hilarious.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Lol man , most of us acknowledge the repeater as a big financial burden .

But didn't pay the tax last year so , we really don't have to worry about it .

roslolian likes this.
  3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Because to get Russell, the Warriors were hard capped, and the only way they could have kept Igoudala is if they ditched Curry, Klay, or Draymond instead.

Just because Igoudala isn't as good as those four doesn't mean that he's not a good player. (And he just played in 21 of 22 playoff games on said wheel, and he performed quite well.)

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think the franchise has ever been in the tax to end a league year.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think les' last year we were .

6. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Ok. Is that we couldn’t get Morris I guess I’m down for iggy.

However I wouldn’t mind keeping shumpert he’s going to bounce back with the lakers or clippers...

Can you imagine shumpert, bev, kawhi, PG all playing defense rotating : (

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Nope , 994k under the tax according to Spotrac.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I think he was stating Les Alexander's last year. Which was one of the 2 times in Rockets history to have paid the tax.

Edit, hmm, apparently they paid it in 2015-16 but guess they were under in 2017-18

9. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Warriors didn't dump Iggy "unceremoniously." Far from it. They informed him a couple weeks ago that he could be traded If Durant left.

They traded Iggy because he was the only player (aside from Klay Dray, steph) on the roster able clear enough space to take in Russell.

The Warriors didn't dump Iggy to decrease their tax burden. In fact the Iggy trade was done to increase their payroll rather than reduce it.

Iggy's outgoing 17+ million was what allowed the Warriors to ADD Russell's 27+ million contract and still be under the apron.

If the warriors were cared about avoiding the tax, they wouldn't have traded away Iggy, pursue Russell or anyone else... which would have left them UNDER the tax.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yep -

15/16 $3,647,446 over the tax
    16/17 $21,794,155 Under
    17/18 $994,549 Under
    18/19 $1,914,201 Under
    19/20 $1,167,319 Under - Currently.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What were the specifics of that trade ?

(I'm sure you are right here - just curious and cant find it)

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Really when you think about it , that's kind of unacceptable . I mean it's harden in his prime . How do you not go all in at the margin for that ?

TheFreak likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Last year , I cant blame Morey - I get the idea that he was limited by the tax line from the get go - Literally no other reason to tell Ariza he wasn't coming back when he had absolutely no way to replace him.

I blame Tilman for that disaster.

Morey did get it together mid season and laid the groundwork for the offseason even if it didn't go as we had hoped. All possibilities were open financially.

They aren't done (I hope). Still have the rest of the T-MLE and Shumpert's bird rights to deal with. Now if they don't keep those bird rights , I'll be back to calling them cheap.

If they cant get Iggy , I'd be on the phone with Toronto asking about Siakam , what would it take to get that guy ?

Kim and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Warriors knew that if Durant left, they'd still be over the cap (but under the tax) at about (124+million or so in salary) leaving them with limited options to improve their roster.

Only options were... get a large trade exception & hope they can use it during the season. Two,

To not lose Durant for nothing, they opted to engage Brooklyn in a sign and trade for Russell, offering Russell the max. In order for that to work, the Warriors would need clear enough salary to be able to fit Russell's salary under the hard cap. Naturally the only options was Iggy's 17mil.

Trading Iggy's 17+million (to Memphis) left the Warriors about 27 million or so under the apron, leaving them just enough to fit in Russells 27million, looney's 5 million a couple vet minimums and a bunch minimum signings to fill out the roster.

Note: numbers are inexact... too lazy to get the actual figures =p.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

1) Toronto isn't giving up Siakam. He's their future.
    2) Agreed with nothing to blame Morey for. Tilman has publicly stated that he's not a rich owner, and that it impacts his ability to spend. That's it. We have a relatively poor owner who can't spend like crazy. I accept that - I just get annoyed by the constant used car salesman style boasting about doing whatever it takes when he admits to being financially constrained.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I blame Morey for MCW, Ennis and Carmelo though.

Even if he just filled in G-leaguers and internationals would have been better.

Ennis is alright though, nothing fancy.

TheFreak and JW86 like this.
  17. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Totally agree with you on Morey. I think he did everything he possibly could do. You can only work with what you have or in this case what you're allowed to use.

It seems fairly obvious to me that Tilman would allow Morey to go over the tax but only for a big name or star. The Butler trade attempts last year and this past week seems to prove this.

However I also don't think Tilman would allow him to do so for players worth the MLE or for Ariza etc. The start of this and last year's free agency period as well as last year's actions at the trade deadline and after seems to show this.

If the Rocket do trade for Iggy or sign Shumpert for 13 million for matching purposes later on, my theory will be proven wrong.

As for Siakam, I don't think the Rockets have any shot. I don't see Masai being interested in an expiring Gordon, an overpaid CP3 or Capella for Siakam.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is why having an owner who does not meddle is key........even Alexander meddled with the choices of the main coach.

blahblehblah likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Lets hope they do retain that asset. Other than that , the cupboard is bear.

As for Siakam , he'd be a good fit. Toronto will be sellers since Kawhi left. They will have about $10m total in guaranteed salary after this season. They are in complete rebuild …. Everybody's for sale. They are in asset collection mode.

I believe Siakam is unrestricted , doubt he's staying there unless its an overpay. Maybe you could get him for some combination of picks and that same Shumpert expiring S&T. That's a guy I wouldn't mind giving up picks for ….

Its not likely but its within the realm of possibility.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really aint mad at him for MCW / Ennis / Melo.

They were all minimum contracts. If they play well and outperform that contract - Fantastic. If they don't , send them out the door.
    There's absolutely no risk in those contracts as much as we like to complain about them.

If you have 10 of those and one or two outperforms , you've done well.

D-rock likes this.